Proving Measurability and Integrability of a Function on a Product Space

• Thread starter Funky1981
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Measurable
In summary, the conversation discusses constructing a function g on a product space from a measurable function f on a measurable space. The problem at hand is to prove that g is a measurable function and integrable on the product space. To approach this, the conversation suggests using the indicator function and constructing a new function h, and showing that h is measurable. This can then be used to prove the measurability of g.
Funky1981

Homework Statement

Let f : (0,1) —>R be measurable( w.r.t. Lebesgue measure) function in L1((0,1)). Define the function g on (0,1)× (0,1) by

g(x,y)=f(x)/x if 0<y<x<1
g(x,y)=0 if 0<x≤y<1

Prove:
1) g is measurable function (w.r.t. Lebesgue measure in the prodcut (0,1)× (0,1)

2)g is integrable in (0,1)× (0,1)

Homework Equations

I tried to think about the product space but it is not really obvious for me how to begin, Can anyone give me suggestions

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by showing this:

Let ##(\Omega,\mathcal{B})## is a set with ##\sigma##-algebra.
Let ##A,B\in \mathcal{B}## disjoint, define ##\chi_A## and ##\chi_B## the indicator functions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_function#Definition
Let ##f:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## and ##g:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## be measurable.

Define ##h:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## by

[tex]h = f\chi_A + g\chi_B[/tex]

Show that ##h## is measurable.

Use this to show (1).

micromass said:
Start by showing this:

Let ##(\Omega,\mathcal{B})## is a set with ##\sigma##-algebra.
Let ##A,B\in \mathcal{B}## disjoint, define ##\chi_A## and ##\chi_B## the indicator functions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indicator_function#Definition
Let ##f:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## and ##g:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## be measurable.

Define ##h:\Omega\rightarrow \mathbb{R}## by

[tex]h = f\chi_A + g\chi_B[/tex]

Show that ##h## is measurable.

Use this to show (1).

So if I take A to be 0<y<x<1, B to be 0<x≤y<1 and construct [tex]h = f\chi_A + g\chi_B[/tex]
consider set {x| h(x)> a} if it is in A then we have h= f then f measurable implies h measurable, is my construction right?

Funky1981 said:
So if I take A to be 0<y<x<1, B to be 0<x≤y<1 and construct [tex]h = f\chi_A + g\chi_B[/tex]
consider set {x| h(x)> a} if it is in A then we have h= f then f measurable implies h measurable, is my construction right?

In my post, we had ##A\in \Omega## and ##f## had ##\Omega## as domain.
Now, here is the slight technical issue that ##A\subseteq (0,1)^2##, but this is not the domain of ##f##. So you need to solve this.

Related to Proving Measurability and Integrability of a Function on a Product Space

What is the difference between "measurable" and "integrable"?

Measurable refers to a property of a set or function, indicating that it can be assigned a numerical value, while integrable refers to a property of a function, indicating that it can be integrated or have a definite integral. In other words, a function can be measurable without being integrable, but if a function is integrable, it is also measurable.

How do you determine if a function is measurable?

To determine if a function is measurable, you must check if its preimage (the set of all values that map to a given output) is measurable for every possible output. If it is, then the function is measurable.

What is the significance of a measurable function in mathematics?

Measurable functions are important in measure theory, which is a branch of mathematics concerned with assigning numerical values to sets in order to understand their properties and relationships. Measurable functions allow for the development of a rigorous framework for integration and the study of measure spaces, which are essential for many areas of mathematics, including probability and statistics.

Can a discontinuous function be integrable?

Yes, a function can be integrable even if it is discontinuous. The Riemann integral, which is the most commonly used type of integral, allows for the integration of some types of discontinuous functions. However, there are also other types of integrals, such as the Lebesgue integral, that can handle a wider range of functions, including some that are not Riemann integrable.

How is integrability related to the concept of convergence?

Integrability and convergence are closely related concepts. A function is said to be integrable if its integral exists and is finite. This is similar to the concept of convergence, where a sequence or series is said to converge if it has a finite limit. In fact, one way to prove the integrability of a function is by showing that its integral is equal to the limit of a sequence of approximations that converges to a finite value.