Proving Interval Inclusion & Differentiability of f: I→R

In summary: Therefore, f′(x) ≤ f′(c1) ≤ f′(c2) ≤ f′(y), which shows that f′(I) is an interval. In summary, g(T) ⊂ f(I) ⊂ the closure of g(T) and f′(I) is an interval.
rainwyz0706
Let I be an open interval in R and let f : I → R be a differentiable function.
Let g : T → R be the function defined by g(x, y) =(f (x)−f (y))/(x-y)
1.Prove that g(T ) ⊂ f (I) ⊂ g(T ) (The last one should be the closure of g(T), but I can't type it here)
2. Show that f ′ (I) is an interval.

I don't know what the closure of g(T) is, so I can't prove the second part in question 1. To show that f ′ (I) is an interval, I intend to show that it's connected, f(x) is continuous. Would that work? Or do I need to use g(t) is continuous to show that?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
1. To prove that g(T) ⊂ f(I), let (x, y) ∈ T such that x ≠ y and consider f(x) - f(y). By definition of g, we have g(x, y) = (f(x) - f(y))/(x-y). Since (x, y) ∈ T, we have that x, y ∈ I and hence f(x), f(y) ∈ f(I). Thus, (f(x) - f(y))/(x-y) ∈ f(I). This shows that g(T) ⊂ f(I). To prove that the closure of g(T) ⊂ f(I), let (x, y) ∈ T such that x = y. Since (x, y) ∈ T, we have that x, y ∈ I and hence f(x), f(y) ∈ f(I). Thus, the limit of (f(x) - f(y))/(x-y) as x approaches y is equal to f(x) which is in f(I). This shows that the closure of g(T) ⊂ f(I).2. To show that f′(I) is an interval, let x, y ∈ I such that x < y. We need to show that f′(x) ≤ f′(z) ≤ f′(y) for all x ≤ z ≤ y. Since f is differentiable, it follows from the Mean Value Theorem that there exists a c between x and y such that f′(c) = (f(x) - f(y))/(x-y). Let z be any point between x and y such that x ≤ z ≤ y. Using the Mean Value Theorem again, we get that there exist c1, c2 between x and z, and z and y respectively, such that f′(c1) = (f(x) - f(z))/(x-z) and f′(c2) = (f(z) - f(y))/(z-y). Thus, since c1, c2 are between x and z, and z and y respectively, it follows that f′

Related to Proving Interval Inclusion & Differentiability of f: I→R

What is the purpose of proving interval inclusion and differentiability of a function?

The purpose of proving interval inclusion and differentiability of a function is to determine the range of values for which the function is defined and to analyze its behavior at different points within that range. This information is important in understanding the behavior and characteristics of a function.

What does it mean for a function to be included in an interval?

A function is said to be included in an interval if all the points on the graph of the function fall within that interval. In other words, the domain of the function is a subset of the given interval.

How is interval inclusion and differentiability of a function determined?

Interval inclusion can be determined by looking at the domain of the function and comparing it to the given interval. Differentiability, on the other hand, can be determined by taking the derivative of the function and analyzing its behavior at different points within the given interval.

What is the difference between a differentiable and a non-differentiable function?

A differentiable function is one that has a derivative at every point within its domain. This means that the function has a well-defined slope at each point. A non-differentiable function, on the other hand, does not have a well-defined slope at one or more points within its domain.

Why is it important to prove differentiability of a function?

Proving differentiability of a function is important because it allows us to calculate the rate of change of the function at any point within its domain. This information is useful in many real-world applications, such as optimization problems and curve fitting.