Proving Inner Product Spaces w/ (1+x^2) Defined on V

In summary, the defined function (f|g) is an inner product space on the interval [0,2] because it satisfies the four axioms of an inner product space. The (1+x^2) factor acts as a metric in the space and as long as a or b in the interval [a,b] remain positive, the inner product space remains valid.
Oxymoron
Question)
Define [tex] (f|g) = \int_0^2 (1+x^2)f(x)g(x)dx[/tex] on [tex] V = C([0,2],\mathbb{R})[/tex].

Then this is an inner product space because it obeys the four axioms

1. [tex](f|f) = \int_0^2 (1+x^2)f^2(x)dx \geq 0[/tex] since [tex] f^2(x) \geq 0 [/tex] for all [tex] x \in [0,2][/tex]

2. [tex](f|g) = \int_0^2 (1+x^2)f(x)g(x)dx = \int_0^2 (1+x^2)g(x)f(x)dx = (g|f)[/tex]

3. [tex](f+g|s) = \int_0^2 (1+x^2)((f(x)+g(x))s(x)dx = \int_0^2(1+x^2)f(x)s(x)dx + \int_0^2(1+x^2)g(x)s(x)dx = (f|s) + (g|s)[/tex]

4. [tex](\lambda f|g) = \int_0^2 \lambda(1+x^2)f(x)g(x)dx = \lambda\int_0^2(1+x^2)f(x)g(x)dx = \lambda(f|g)[/tex]

Further, because [tex] f^2(x) \geq 0[/tex] and [tex]f(x)[/tex] is continuous on [tex][0,2][/tex], it follows that
[tex]\int_0^2f^2(x)dx = 0 \Leftrightarrow f(x) = 0 \forall x \in [0,2][/tex]
This further proves that axiom 1 holds.

My query is, I have only ever had to prove things like
[tex] (f|g) = \int_a^b f(x)g(x)dx [/tex]
I don't exactly know what do do with the [tex](1+x^2)[/tex] bit in there.
Can anyone tell me where this comes into the calculations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Question 2.

I was thinking that
[tex] (f|g) = \int_0^2(1-x^2)f(x)g(x)dx [/tex]
is NOT an inner product space because axiom 1 fails.

1. [tex] (f|f) = \int_0^2(1-x^2)f^2(x)dx[/tex] is not guaranteed to be greater than or equal to zero on the interval [tex][0,2][/tex] because at 2 the integral is negative due to the [tex](1-x^2)[/tex] bit.

Question 3.

[tex] (f|g) = \int_1^2(1+x^2)f(x)g(x)dx [/tex]

should also be an inner product space. My reasoning is because this one is identical to the one in Question 1. with only the interval of integration changing. The only axiom which deals with the range of integration is axiom 1 which states that
[tex](f|f) \geq 0 \,\forall \, x\in[a,b][/tex]
by inspection, so long as a or b remain positive, then [tex](f|g) \geq 0[/tex] and thus remain an inner product space.

Oxymoron said:
I don't exactly know what do do with the [tex](1+x^2)[/tex] bit in there.
Can anyone tell me where this comes into the calculations?

Maybe the experts here will say I am not justified in using this terminology, but I would consider the [tex](1+x^2)[/tex] factor to be playing the role of a metric in the space. The more common metric would simply be 1.

I agree with the points you make in your second post.

Related to Proving Inner Product Spaces w/ (1+x^2) Defined on V

1. What is an inner product space?

An inner product space is a mathematical concept in linear algebra that allows for the measurement of lengths and angles of vectors. It is defined as a vector space equipped with an operation called an inner product, which satisfies certain properties such as linearity and positive definiteness.

2. How is the inner product defined for (1+x^2) on V?

The inner product for (1+x^2) on V is defined as the integral of the product of two functions f(x) and g(x), over a specific interval. In this case, the interval is from -1 to 1, and the inner product is given by

∫(1+x^2)f(x)g(x) dx.

3. What are the properties of an inner product space?

The properties of an inner product space include linearity, positive definiteness, symmetry, and conjugate symmetry. Linearity means that the inner product is distributive and additive with respect to vector addition and scalar multiplication. Positive definiteness means that the inner product of a vector with itself is always positive. Symmetry means that the order of the vectors in the inner product does not matter. Conjugate symmetry means that the inner product of two complex vectors is the complex conjugate of the inner product of the conjugates of those vectors.

4. How can you prove that (1+x^2) defined on V is an inner product space?

To prove that (1+x^2) defined on V is an inner product space, you must show that it satisfies all of the properties mentioned above. This can be done by using the definition of an inner product and performing the necessary calculations to show that the properties hold true for this specific inner product.

5. What are some applications of inner product spaces in science?

Inner product spaces have various applications in science, including quantum mechanics, signal processing, and data analysis. In quantum mechanics, inner product spaces are used to represent physical states and calculate probabilities. In signal processing, inner product spaces are used for filtering and noise reduction. In data analysis, inner product spaces are used for dimensionality reduction and feature extraction.