Proving Identities: cos((pi/2)-x)=sinx

• Thread starter banfill_89
  • Start date
  • Tags
    identities
In summary, to prove that cos((pi/2)-x)=sinx, you can use the sum and difference identities for cosine and sine, as well as the properties of even and odd functions. By plugging in the given values and simplifying, you can show that the two sides of the equation are equal. However, it is important to be careful with signs and notation when using these identities.
banfill_89

Homework Statement

prove that cos ((pi/2)-x) = sinx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i extended it to: (cos pi/2) (cos -x) + (sin pi/2) (sin -x)
=1-sinx

Physics news on Phys.org
i) cos(a-b)=cos(a)cos(b)+sin(a)sin(b). ii) cos(pi/2)=0. Where did that 1 come from?

i got the 1 from the sin of pi/2...isnt that 1?

You cannot expand trig identities like that.

It's not like [tex]x^2+x=x(x+1)[/tex]

[tex]\sin{(x+2)}\neq\sin x+\sin2[/tex]

Have you learned the Sum and Differences formula?

You can also prove this through triangles.

yea we have the sum and difference identities

banfill_89 said:
i got the 1 from the sin of pi/2...isnt that 1?

Ok, so 1-sinx actually means 1*(-sin(x))?? That isn't the clearest way to write it, wouldn't you agree?? You still have a sign error.

yea ur right...i forgot the brackets...but it still come sout at -sin(x)...

oh wait...do i need to include the - on the x?

cause the subtraction formula is cos ( x - y), and the part of the formula I am using is sinxsiny, so do i just need the y number?

banfill_89 said:
yea ur right...i forgot the brackets...but it still come sout at -sin(x)...

Look at the second post. You have a sign error in cosine sum rule.

banfill_89 said:
oh wait...do i need to include the - on the x?
Are you familiar with even and odd functions? It's the same with trig functions.

even: f(x)=f(-x)

odd: f(-x)=-f(x)

banfill_89 said:
cause the subtraction formula is cos ( x - y), and the part of the formula I am using is sinxsiny, so do i just need the y number?

Yes. You just need the 'y number'.

ah ****in eh...thanks guys

and rocomath, i tried it with the odd even funtions and i got :

-sinx, because its an odd number infront of the pi/2, and feta=-x...am i missing something?

Related to Proving Identities: cos((pi/2)-x)=sinx

1. What is the meaning of "Proving Identities" in mathematics?

In mathematics, proving identities refers to the process of demonstrating that two mathematical expressions are equivalent for all values of the variables involved. This is typically done using algebraic manipulations and trigonometric identities.

2. How do you prove the identity cos((pi/2)-x)=sinx?

To prove this identity, we can use the trigonometric identity for the cosine of a difference of angles, which states that cos(a-b) = cos(a)cos(b) + sin(a)sin(b). In this case, a=pi/2 and b=x. Substituting these values into the identity, we get cos((pi/2)-x) = cos(pi/2)cos(x) + sin(pi/2)sin(x). Since cos(pi/2) = 0 and sin(pi/2) = 1, the identity simplifies to 0*cos(x) + 1*sin(x) = sin(x), which is equivalent to the original identity.

3. What is the significance of using pi/2 in the identity cos((pi/2)-x)=sinx?

The value of pi/2 is significant because it represents a right angle in the unit circle. When we take the cosine of pi/2, we get the x-coordinate of the point on the unit circle where the angle is pi/2. Similarly, when we take the sine of pi/2, we get the y-coordinate of this point. So, using pi/2 in this identity is a way of relating the cosine and sine of an angle to the x and y coordinates of a point on the unit circle.

4. Can this identity be used in real-world applications?

Yes, this identity can be used in many real-world applications, particularly in fields such as engineering and physics. For example, it can be used in calculating the motion of objects in circular motion, or in determining the forces acting on an object on an inclined plane.

5. Are there any other identities that are related to cos((pi/2)-x)=sinx?

Yes, there are several other identities that are related to this one. Some examples include the Pythagorean identity (cos^2x + sin^2x = 1), the double angle identity (cos(2x) = cos^2x - sin^2x), and the reciprocal identities (cscx = 1/sinx, secx = 1/cosx, cotx = 1/tanx). These identities can all be derived using the original identity and other trigonometric identities.