Proving Homogeneous & Isotropic FRW Universe Energy-Momentum Tensor

In summary, The conversation is about the attempt to prove that a spatially homogeneous and isotropic system in a FRW universe is a perfect fluid. The approach involves finding symmetries in the system and relating them to the energy-momentum tensor. The methodology used is incorrect as it assumes the FRW metric and uses the Christoffel symbols. The correct approach would be to explain why the energy-stress tensor must be in the form of a perfect fluid.
Kamikaze_951
Hi everyone,

It's not a real homework problem, but something I am trying to do that I haven't found in the literature. I am still stating the problem as if it was a homework

Homework Statement

Consider a FRW Universe. That is, ℝ x M, where M is a maximally symmetric 3-manifold, with a RW metric: ds[itex]^{2}[/itex] = dt[itex]^{2}[/itex] - R[itex]^{2}[/itex](t) dσ[itex]^{2}[/itex], where

dσ[itex]^{2}[/itex] = dχ[itex]^{2}[/itex] + f(χ)[itex]^{2}[/itex](dθ[itex]^{2}[/itex] + sin[itex]^{2}[/itex]θd[itex]\varphi^2[/itex])

Consider also a system that is homogeneous and isotropic in space.

Prove that :
1) T[itex]^{t}_{r = sinχ}[/itex] = T[itex]^{t}_{θ}[/itex] = T[itex]^{t}_{\varphi}[/itex] = 0
2) T[itex]^{r}_{θ}[/itex] = T[itex]^{r}_{\varphi}[/itex] = T[itex]^{θ}_{\varphi}[/itex] = 0
3) T[itex]^{r}_{r}[/itex] = T[itex]^{θ}_{θ}[/itex] = T[itex]^{\varphi}_{\varphi}[/itex]

where T is the energy-momentum tensor.

Homework Equations

1) We can use known Killing vectors related to underlying symmetries without having to prove that they indeed are Killing vectors (ex : the 3 Killing vectors related to spherical symmetry).

For instance, spherical symmetry implies that there are 3 Killing vectors R, S, T satisfying :
i) [R,S] = T
ii) [S,T] = R
iii) [T,R] = S

and in polar coordinates (θ,[itex]\varphi[/itex]), these 3 Killing vectors can be written as follow :
R = [itex]\partial_{\phi}[/itex]
S = [itex]\cos\phi\partial_{\theta} - \cot\theta\sin\phi\partial_\phi[/itex]
T = [itex]-\sin\phi\partial_{\theta} - \cot\theta\cos\phi\partial_\phi[/itex]

We can also use the Christoffel symbols for the RW metric (that can be found in most GR textbooks).

Finally, the equation that defines a conserved charge :
K is a Killing vector implies [itex]T_{\mu\nu}K^\nu = P_\mu[/itex] and
[itex]\nabla_\mu P^\mu = \nabla_\mu( T^{\mu\nu}K_{\nu}) = 0 [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I considered only R for the moment (if I succeed for the simplest Killing vector, I should succeed for the others). The components of R are :[itex]R^{\nu} = \delta^{\nu}_\phi[/itex].

By plugging this into [itex]\nabla_\mu T^{\mu\nu}K_{\nu} = 0[/itex], I got that
[itex]\nabla_\mu T^{\mu\phi} = 0[/itex].

By direct calculation of the divergence of that vector (using Christoffel symbols), I found :

[itex]0 = \nabla_\mu T^{\mu\phi} = (\partial_t + 3\frac{\dot{R}}{R})T^{t\phi} +
(\partial_\chi + 2\frac{f'(\chi)}{f(\chi)})T^{\chi\phi}
+ (\partial_\theta + \cot\theta)T^{\theta\phi} + \partial_\phi T^{\phi\phi}
[/itex]

This equation should probably imply that some components of T are zero. However, I don't see any way of stating this from that equation. It probably implies (from the problem statement) that [itex]T^{t\phi} = 0[/itex]. Do I have the right methodology to solve this problem? Could someone help me JUST with the R Killing vector (since I will probably be able to do the others when the R one is solved...I just need an example of how to do)?

Thank you a lot for considering my request.

Kami

Physics news on Phys.org

I am a bit confused by what you are doing here... For starters, recall that in GR, energy-momentum is always conserved: [itex] \nabla_\mu T^{\mu \nu} = 0 [/itex].

I think it's possible to show that for all maximally symmetric spacetimes, [itex] R_{\mu \nu} \propto g_{\mu \nu} [/itex]. Then all you need to do is to use Einstein equation and you find what you were asked to prove. Of course you can also just use raw power to calculate the components of LHS of [itex] R_{\mu \nu} - \frac{1}{2} R g_{\mu \nu} = 8\pi G T^{\mu \nu}[/itex].

Hi clamtrox,

I thank you a lot for your reply. It doesn't solve my problem, but it allows me to clarify what I am trying to do.

We can compute [itex]R_{\mu\nu}[/itex] easily once we know that the FRW metric applies. However, it is the energy-momentum tensor that I am looking for (i.e. I have to work the other way around). For a perfect fluid, [itex]T_{\mu\nu} = (\rho + p)U_\mu U_\nu + pg_{\mu\nu}[/itex], where ρ is the energy density, p is the pressure and [itex]U_{\mu}[/itex] is the four-velocity (with its index lowered). We need the assumption of matter being modeled by a perfect fluid (which leads to Universe being spatially homogeneous and isotropic) in order to derive the FRW metric and the Friedmann equations.

What I am trying to prove is that a spatially homogeneous and isotropic system (that determines the FRW universe via the Einstein equations) is a perfect fluid. To do that, I must relate symmetries in the system (example : isotropy) to determine the form of [itex]T_{\mu\nu}[/itex].

This makes me realize that my methodology was wrong, since I implicitly assumed the FRW metric and via the Christoffel connection. In fact, I think that the problem is deeper than I thought : How is the energy-momentum tensor defined and how symmetries affects it?

Thanks a lot!

Kami

I do not have any requisite literature at hand, but from my recollections, any text that intends to derive FRW relations begins by explaining why the energy-stress tensor must be in the form of a perfect fluid. Which is exactly what you are trying prove, if I read you correctly.

It of course depends on what you assume...

-Assume maximally symmetric spacetime -> [itex] R_{\mu \nu} \propto g_{\mu \nu} [/itex]
-Assume homogeneity and isotropy -> you can either show that this implies maximal symmetry, or talk away the non-perfect terms in [itex] T_{\mu \nu} [/itex].
-Assume FRW -> you can calculate everything explicitly

Related to Proving Homogeneous & Isotropic FRW Universe Energy-Momentum Tensor

1. What is the significance of proving a homogeneous and isotropic FRW universe?

Proving that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic means that it has the same properties and characteristics at every point in space and in all directions. This is a fundamental assumption in the standard cosmological model and is essential for understanding the evolution and dynamics of the universe.

2. How is the energy-momentum tensor used to prove homogeneity and isotropy?

The energy-momentum tensor is a mathematical representation of the distribution of energy and momentum in the universe. By analyzing its properties and equations, we can determine if the distribution is consistent with a homogeneous and isotropic universe. If the energy-momentum tensor is found to be symmetric and isotropic, it supports the idea of a homogeneous and isotropic universe.

3. What evidence do we have that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic?

Observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, the large-scale structure of the universe, and the distribution of galaxies all support the idea of a homogeneous and isotropic universe. These observations show that the universe is largely the same in all directions and at large scales, providing evidence for the validity of the energy-momentum tensor in describing the universe.

4. Are there any challenges in proving homogeneity and isotropy using the energy-momentum tensor?

One of the main challenges is that we can only observe a small portion of the universe, so it is difficult to make conclusive statements about its overall homogeneity and isotropy. Additionally, the energy-momentum tensor is based on theoretical assumptions and may not accurately represent all aspects of the universe.

5. How does the concept of dark energy impact the energy-momentum tensor and the proof of homogeneity and isotropy?

The existence of dark energy, which is thought to be responsible for the accelerated expansion of the universe, can complicate the analysis of the energy-momentum tensor and its implications for homogeneity and isotropy. Some theories suggest that dark energy may be anisotropic, meaning it has different properties in different directions, which would challenge the idea of a perfectly homogeneous and isotropic universe.