Proving Function Polynomial in Coordinates is Differentiable Everywhere

In summary, by using the properties of differentiable functions and an example of function composition, we can prove that a function $f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere. The chain rule is not explicitly used but is implied in the process of proving differentiability.
i_a_n
The question is:
Using the chain rule to prove that a function $f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$ which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere.
(The chain rule is for the use under function composition circumstances, how to apply it here to prove that the function $f$ which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere?)

Physics news on Phys.org
ianchenmu said:
(The chain rule is for the use under function composition circumstances, how to apply it here to prove that the function $f$ which is polynomial in the coordinates is differentiable everywhere?)

We can write:

$f:\mathbb{R}^n\to \mathbb{R},\quad f(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=\displaystyle\sum_{i_1\geq 0,\ldots,i_n\geq 0}a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}x_1^{i_1}\ldots x_n^{i_n}$

with finitely many nonnull real coefficientes $a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}$. Now, use the following properties:$(1)\;$ The projections $\pi_i:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R},\quad \pi_i(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=x_i$ are differentable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(2)\;$ Every constant funcion is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(3)\;$ The product of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(4)\;$ The sum of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

Fernando Revilla said:
We can write:

$f:\mathbb{R}^n\to \mathbb{R},\quad f(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=\displaystyle\sum_{i_1\geq 0,\ldots,i_n\geq 0}a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}x_1^{i_1}\ldots x_n^{i_n}$

with finitely many nonnull real coefficientes $a_{i_1,\ldots,i_n}$. Now, use the following properties:$(1)\;$ The projections $\pi_i:\mathbb{R}^n\to\mathbb{R},\quad \pi_i(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=x_i$ are differentable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(2)\;$ Every constant funcion is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(3)\;$ The product of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

$(4)\;$ The sum of two differentiable functions on $\mathbb{R}^n$ is differentiable on $\mathbb{R}^n$.

But where you used the chain rule? I mean, how to use the chain rule to prove that $f$ is differentiable everywhere?

ianchenmu said:
But where you used the chain rule? I mean, how to use the chain rule to prove that $f$ is differentiable everywhere?

Perhaps an example will provide you the adequate outline. Consider $\pi_7(x_1,\ldots,x_n)=x_7$ and $g:\mathbb{R}\to \mathbb{R}$ given by $g(t)=t^3$. As $\pi_7$ and $g$ are differentiable, $(g\circ \pi_7)[(x_1,\ldots,x_n)]=x_7^3$ is also differentiable, etc, etc,...

The chain rule is a powerful tool in calculus that allows us to calculate the derivative of a composite function. In this case, we are interested in proving that a function $f:\mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow \mathbb{R}$, which is polynomial in the coordinates, is differentiable everywhere.

To begin, let us consider the definition of differentiability. A function $f$ is said to be differentiable at a point $a$ if the following limit exists:

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}$$

Using the chain rule, we can rewrite this limit as:

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}\cdot \frac{h}{h}=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a+h)-f(a)}{h}\cdot \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{h}{h}$$

Since we are dealing with a composite function, we can express $f(a+h)$ as $f(g(h))$, where $g(h)$ is another function. Applying the chain rule, we can rewrite the limit as:

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(g(h))-f(g(0))}{g(h)-g(0)}\cdot \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{g(h)-g(0)}{h}$$

Now, since $g$ is a polynomial in the coordinates, we can express it as $g(h)=a_n h^n + a_{n-1}h^{n-1} + ... + a_1 h + a_0$. Thus, we can rewrite the limit as:

$$\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(a_n h^n + a_{n-1}h^{n-1} + ... + a_1 h + a_0)-f(a_0)}{a_n h^n + a_{n-1}h^{n-1} + ... + a_1 h + a_0-a_0}\cdot \lim_{h\to 0}\frac{a_n h^n + a_{n-1}h^{n-1} + ... + a_1

Related to Proving Function Polynomial in Coordinates is Differentiable Everywhere

1. What does it mean for a function polynomial to be differentiable everywhere?

For a function polynomial to be differentiable everywhere, it means that the function has a well-defined derivative at every point on its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has no sharp corners or breaks in its graph.

2. How is the differentiability of a function polynomial determined in coordinates?

The differentiability of a function polynomial can be determined by taking the derivative of the function using the rules of differentiation. The resulting derivative function can then be checked for continuity at every point on the domain. If the derivative function is continuous, then the original function polynomial is differentiable everywhere in coordinates.

3. What are the necessary conditions for a function polynomial to be differentiable everywhere?

The necessary conditions for a function polynomial to be differentiable everywhere are that the function must be continuous at every point on its domain and the limit of the difference quotient (hence the derivative) must exist at every point. In other words, the function must not have any sharp corners or breaks in its graph and the rate of change must be well-defined at every point.

4. Can a function polynomial be differentiable everywhere but not continuous?

No, a function polynomial cannot be differentiable everywhere if it is not continuous. This is because the derivative of a function polynomial relies on the function being continuous at every point. If the function is not continuous, then the derivative will not exist at that point, and therefore the function polynomial cannot be differentiable everywhere.

5. How is the differentiability of a function polynomial related to its smoothness?

The differentiability of a function polynomial is directly related to its smoothness. A function polynomial that is differentiable everywhere is also considered to be smooth. This means that the function has no sharp corners or breaks in its graph and the rate of change is well-defined at every point. A function polynomial that is not differentiable everywhere may have sharp corners or breaks in its graph, making it less smooth.