Proving f(x): One-to-One, Onto, or Both?

In summary, the function f(x) = x/(1+x^2) with domain and codomain being all real numbers is not one-to-one and not onto.
cilla

Homework Statement

Prove whether the function f(x) = x/(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know to show if it's one-to-one I have to show a/(1+a^2) = b/(1+b^2), ultimately that a = b, I don't know how to simplify them to that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cilla said:

Homework Statement

Prove whether the function f(x) = x(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

I know to show if it's one-to-one I have to show a/(1+a^2) = b/(1+b^2), ultimately that a = b, I don't know how to simplify them to that.

Have you tried drawing a graph of the function?

A good trick is to assume that b = a + h and then show that h must be equal to zero.

To show onto, pick an arbitrary b in the reals and show that there is an a such that f(a) = b. if there aren't any conditions on b, then it is onto.

cilla said:

Homework Statement

Prove whether the function f(x) = x(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

What is the formula for the function you're working with. In the problem statement you wrote f(x) = x(1 + x2). In your attempt, the formula appears to be f(x) = ##\frac{x}{1 + x^2}##.

Which is it?

Oh whoops, thanks Mark44. It is the latter. Can't change the post title unfortunately but I fixed it in the body.

Thanks RUber but I still don't know how to execute that...

How do you simplify a/(1+a^2) = (a+h)/(1+(a+h)^2) to a = a+h ?

As has already been suggested, draw the graph. That will at least tell you what you what the answers are. Then you can think about how to prove them analytically.

cilla said:
Thanks RUber but I still don't know how to execute that...
Set a/(1 + a2) = b, and then solve for a.

cilla said:

Homework Statement

Prove whether the function f(x) = x/(1+x^2) with domain & codomain = reals is one-to-one, onto, or both.

Homework Equations

Let [itex]f(x) = y[/itex]. Then [itex](1 + x^2)y = x[/itex] so [itex]yx^2 - x + y = 0[/itex]. Hence, [itex]f(x) = y[/itex] if and only if [itex]x \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] is a solution of [tex]
yx^2 - x + y = 0.[/tex] Now consider:

(1) For what values of [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] does that quadratic have real roots?
(2) For what values of [itex]y \in \mathbb{R}[/itex] does that quadratic have a repeated root?

Do you know differential Calculus?
You can use the intermediate value theorem to show that there are distinct x, y such that f(x) = f(y)
(Note this won't tell you what the x,y are, but that's not important)

Last edited:
GFauxPas: The most I know of calculus is pre-, and that I took years ago (my most recent math class prior to this one). So as you might guess I'm very much out of practice.

I found a counterexample for f being injective: f(1/2) = 2/5 = f(2). Thus the function is not one-to-one.

As for f being surjective:
Assume y = 1 = x/(1+x^2). Then
1+x^2 = x
x^2 - x + 1 = 0
x = (1 [+/-] sqrt(1 - 4*1)) / (2*1) ∉ ℝ
which is a contradiction since ℝ is the domain, x must be an element contained within it.

Thanks for the hints, though I didn't see any of these since my last reply until now... Only spent 5.5 hours in tutoring yesterday... =\

cilla said:
As for f being surjective:
Assume y = 1 = x/(1+x^2). Then
1+x^2 = x
x^2 - x + 1 = 0
x = (1 [+/-] sqrt(1 - 4*1)) / (2*1) ∉ ℝ
which is a contradiction since ℝ is the domain, x must be an element contained within it.
A better approach that doesn't assume anything about y, is to let y = b and then solve for x.

$$\frac{x}{x^2 + 1} = b$$
$$\Rightarrow x = bx^2 + b$$
$$\Rightarrow bx^2 - x + b = 0$$
$$\Rightarrow x = \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1 - 4b^2}}{2b}$$
For x to be real, 1 - 4b2 has to be nonnegative. From this it's easy to see what the range of this function is, and that the function is not onto the reals.

I see your point thanks a lot.

Related to Proving f(x): One-to-One, Onto, or Both?

1. What does it mean for a function to be one-to-one?

A one-to-one function means that each input (x-value) maps to a unique output (y-value). In other words, no two different inputs can produce the same output. This is also known as injectivity.

2. How do you prove that a function is one-to-one?

To prove that a function is one-to-one, you can use the horizontal line test. If a horizontal line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not one-to-one. Another way is to show that if f(x1) = f(x2), then x1 = x2 for all x1 and x2 in the domain of the function.

3. What does it mean for a function to be onto?

A function is onto, or surjective, if for every y-value in the range of the function, there is at least one x-value in the domain that maps to it. In other words, the function covers all possible y-values in the range.

4. How do you prove that a function is onto?

To prove that a function is onto, you can use the vertical line test. If a vertical line intersects the graph of the function at more than one point, then the function is not onto. Another way is to show that for every y-value in the range, there is at least one x-value in the domain that maps to it.

5. Can a function be both one-to-one and onto?

Yes, a function can be both one-to-one and onto. This type of function is called a bijective function. It means that each input maps to a unique output and every output has a corresponding input. Bijective functions are also known as invertible functions because they have an inverse function, which can "undo" the original function.