Proving f(x)=k on [a,b] using Rolle's theorem and other calculus theorems

In summary, the homework statement is saying that if the function f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), then Rolle's theorem applies and if f'(x)=0 for every x in (a,b), then there is a number Z in the interval [c,d], where a\leqc\leqd\leqb, such that (f(d)-f(c))/(d-c)=f'(Z). For any interval [c,d], (f(d)-f(c))/(d-c)=0, so f(c)=f(d) and f(x)=k for some real number k.
Zarem

Homework Statement

Hey, I'm revising my calculus 1 test, I'm just not sure if this is a valid way to prove this.

If f is continuous on [a,b] and if f'(x)=0 for every x in (a,b), prove that f(x)=k for some real number k

Homework Equations

Rolle's theorem: if f(a)=f(b), then there is some number c such that f'(c)=0

Possibly other theorems like MVT, IVT whatever

The Attempt at a Solution

Since f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), Rolle's theorem applies.

If f'(x)=0 for every x in (a,b), then there is a number Z in the interval [c,d], where a[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]d[tex]\leq[/tex]b, such that (f(d)-f(c))/(d-c)=f'(Z)

Since Z is in [a,b] f'(Z)=0, so for any interval [c,d] (f(d)-f(c))/(d-c)=0, therefore f(c)=f(d) which means f(x)=k for some real number k

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would approach this a different way through a contradiction proof. Suppose f(x) is not constant on [a,b]. So there exists c,d in [a,b] such that f(c) does not equal f(d). Do you see where you can apply mean value theorem? (assuming you can use MVT)

gb7nash said:
I would approach this a different way through a contradiction proof. Suppose f(x) is not constant on [a,b]. So there exists c,d in [a,b] such that f(c) does not equal f(d). Do you see where you can apply mean value theorem? (assuming you can use MVT)

If f(c)=/= f(d) then by the MVT there exists a f'(x) in [a,b] that does not equal zero.

Thanks, but do you think the way I did it is also correct?

Anyone else know if the first way I did it (or a similar way) is correct, I only ask because I think that's how my professor wants it done.

Zarem said:
Since f is continuous on [a,b] and differentiable on (a,b), Rolle's theorem applies.

Omit this. If you look back at your answer, Rolle's Theorem is never used, since we're not assuming that f(c) = f(d). That's the conclusion we want to arrive at.

Zarem said:
If f'(x)=0 for every x in (a,b), then there is a number Z in the interval [c,d], where a[tex]\leq[/tex]c[tex]\leq[/tex]d[tex]\leq[/tex]b, such that (f(d)-f(c))/(d-c)=f'(Z)

It looks like you have the right idea on this, though you might want to rearrange your sentence. One way of showing that a function is constant is by fixing two arbitary points not equal to each other (c and d in this case) and arriving at [tex]f(c) = f(d)[/tex]. Here might be a better way to reword it:

Fix c and d in [a,b] such that [tex]a \leq c < d \leq b[/tex]. (Notice that we want to choose two arbitrary points, so WLOG c < d). Since f'(x) = 0 for all x in (c,d), f is differentiable on (c,d), so by MVT there exists a Z in (c,d) such that (f(d)-f(c))/(d-c)=f'(Z)

We know f'(Z) = 0, so:

Related to Proving f(x)=k on [a,b] using Rolle's theorem and other calculus theorems

1. What is Rolle's theorem and how does it relate to proving f(x)=k on [a,b]?

Rolle's theorem is a fundamental theorem in calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b), and the function's values at the endpoints are equal, then there exists at least one point c in (a,b) where the derivative of the function is equal to 0. This theorem is useful in proving that a function takes on a specific value (k) within a given interval.

2. What other calculus theorems can be used in conjunction with Rolle's theorem to prove f(x)=k on [a,b]?

Some other useful theorems for proving f(x)=k on [a,b] include the Mean Value Theorem, Intermediate Value Theorem, and the Second Derivative Test. These theorems provide additional conditions and information to support the conclusion reached by Rolle's theorem.

3. How do you determine the value of c in Rolle's theorem?

The value of c in Rolle's theorem can be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to 0 and solving for c. This value represents the point on the interval where the function has a horizontal tangent and therefore, a maximum or minimum value.

4. Can Rolle's theorem be applied to all functions?

No, Rolle's theorem can only be applied to continuous functions on a closed interval [a,b] that are differentiable on the open interval (a,b). It also requires that the function's values at the endpoints are equal.

5. What is the significance of proving f(x)=k on [a,b] using Rolle's theorem?

Proving f(x)=k on [a,b] using Rolle's theorem and other calculus theorems allows us to make an important conclusion about the behavior of a function within a given interval. It confirms that the function must take on a specific value (k) at some point within the interval, which can have practical applications in various fields of science and mathematics.