Proving bounded monotonic sequences must converge

In summary: However, it is important to make sure that the contrapositive is logically equivalent to the original statement. In this case, the contrapositive is not exactly equivalent to the original statement, as there may be sequences that are not monotonic but still converge.To address your second concern, it is sufficient to show that {s(n)} is not bounded for one case of divergence, as this would prove that it is not a monotonic sequence. However, it is always good to note that this only applies to the specific case that you have shown, and may not necessarily be true for all cases of divergence.In summary, your proof is valid and the
torquerotates

Homework Statement

I'm approaching this problem from a different method than conventially shown.

Homework Equations

if lim=infinity for all M>0, there exists a N such that n>N => {s(n)}>=M

The Attempt at a Solution

this can be rewritten as:

{s(n)} is a sequence. If {s(n)} is bounded and monotonic , then {s(n)} converges.

the contrapositive is,

{s(n)} is a sequence. If {s(n)} doesn't converge then it is either not monotonic or not bounded.

Hence, if I just show that it is not monotonic, then the proof works.

PROOF:

{s(n)} doesn't converge. So if {s(n)}=+infinity, then that means that for all M>0, there exists an N such for all n>N, M>={s(n)}.

Then {s(n)} is not bounded.

Thus all monotonic sequences must converge. Q.E.D

Does this proof work?

1)I'm a bit worried because I don't even know if I can apply contrapostives this way.

2)I don't know if I have to show {s(n)} is not bounded for all cases of {s(n)} diverging(i.e +infinity, -infinity, DNE). It seems plausible that if I can show that {s(n)} is not bounded when {s(n)} diverges for even just one of the cases, then the theorem works.

Physics news on Phys.org
With regard to your monotonicity statement and divergent sequences, take the sequence s_{n}=(-1)^{n}, this is bounded but not convergent, neither is it monotonic.

Mat

Related to Proving bounded monotonic sequences must converge

1. What is a bounded monotonic sequence?

A bounded monotonic sequence is a sequence of numbers that either increases or decreases consistently and is also limited or confined within a specific range of values.

2. How do you prove that a bounded monotonic sequence must converge?

To prove that a bounded monotonic sequence must converge, you can use the Monotone Convergence Theorem, which states that a monotonic sequence that is bounded above (or below) must converge to its supremum (or infimum) value.

3. What is the Monotone Convergence Theorem?

The Monotone Convergence Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that a monotonic sequence that is bounded above (or below) must converge to its supremum (or infimum) value.

4. Can a bounded monotonic sequence diverge?

No, a bounded monotonic sequence cannot diverge. This is because a monotonic sequence is either increasing or decreasing, so it cannot have values that consistently move in opposite directions. And since it is bounded, its values cannot exceed a certain range, preventing it from diverging.

5. How is the Monotone Convergence Theorem used in real-world applications?

The Monotone Convergence Theorem is used in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering to prove the convergence of certain processes or systems. For example, it can be used to show that the value of a stock portfolio will eventually converge to a certain value, or that a physical system will reach a steady state.