Proving an equation in a book about Periodic Structures

haji-tos
TL;DR Summary
Proving an equation in a book
Hello everyone,

I am reading some book titled: Periodic Structures: Mode-Matching Approach and Applications in Electromagnetic Engineering.
In Chapter 2, there is an equation as follows:

equation-source1.PNG
where
kt.PNG
. Here the electric field is along the transverse x − y plane like the propagation vector kt.

Now it is said that if we substitute the equation above in the following equation by getting rid of H_z:
equation-source2.PNG

we will obtain the following:
equation-result.PNG

When trying to prove this, I don't get the same result. It's been a long time that I am trying to prove this. Can someone please help me prove if this is true ?

Thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
The following two vector identities are very helpful: $$\vec A \times \left( \vec B \times \vec C \right) = \vec B\left(\vec A \cdot \vec C \right) - \vec C\left(\vec A \cdot \vec B \right)$$ $$\vec A \cdot \left( \vec B \times \vec C \right) =\vec B \cdot \left( \vec C \times \vec A \right)$$
Consider the given equation $$\frac d {dz} \hat z \times \vec H_t = j \omega \varepsilon \vec E_t + j \vec k_t \times \vec H_z$$ This can be written as $$ \hat z \times \frac {d \vec H_t} {dz} = j \omega \varepsilon \vec E_t + j \vec k_t \times \vec H_z$$ Apply ##\hat z \times## to both sides: $$ \hat z \times \left(\hat z \times \frac {d \vec H_t} {dz}\right) = j \omega \varepsilon \hat z \times \vec E_t + j \hat z \times \left(\vec k_t \times \vec H_z \right).$$ Use the first vector identity given above to show that this may be reduced to $$\frac {d \vec H_t} {dz}= -j\omega\varepsilon \hat z \times \vec E_t - j \vec k_t \left(\hat z \cdot \vec H_z \right) \,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \rm Eq. 1$$

From the given equation ##\vec k_t \times \vec E_t = \omega \mu \vec H_z## we have ##\vec H_z = \frac 1 {\omega \mu} \vec k_t \times \vec E_t##. Substitute this into the last term of Eq. 1 above. Use the second vector identity to finally obtain $$\frac {d \vec H_t} {dz}= -j\omega\varepsilon \hat z \times \vec E_t + \frac j {\omega \mu} \vec k_t \left[\vec k_t \cdot \left( \hat z \times \vec E_t \right) \right]
\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\, \rm Eq. 2$$ This can be written in the dyadic form that is given in the first post. You will need to know how ##\varepsilon## is related to ##\omega, k## and ## \mu##.

Likes PeroK, PhDeezNutz, haji-tos and 1 other person
Hello,

Thank you very much for the help.

I'm struggling to prove another two equations which follows the previous proof.
In the previous post it was proven that
1.PNG

where
2.PNG

The above terms are expressed in terms of the 2D dyadic (2 by 2) matrices.
The eigenvectors and the corresponding eigenvalues for each dyadic are expressed as

3.PNG

Now the two eigenvectors are perpendicular to each other and they are both perpendicular to . So the three vectors \underline α, \underline β and form a set of orthonormal basis vectors in a rectangular coordinate system, which are different from the structure coordinate system with x, y and z-axes.
The two dyadics can be expanded then as follows

4.PNG

Up to here all is fine and I've checked it. Now it is said that the 2D dyadic in equations (74) and (75) are expanded in terms of the two orthogonal bases in equations (86) and (87), and that from matrix theory, the transverse vectors in equations (74) and (75) can also be expressed in terms of the superposition of the two bases

5.PNG

where V′(z), V′′(z) are the expanding coefficients for transverse electric field, and I′(z), I′′(z) are those for transverse magnetic field. The above equations are the so-called transmission-line network representation.

Can you please help me prove equations (88) and (89) ? I got stuck here.

Thank you very much !

I'm not sure there's much to prove here.

The vectors ##\underline \alpha## and ##\underline \beta## are linearly independent (in fact, orthogonal) and they are both parallel to the x-y plane. So, any vector perpendicular to ##\hat z## can be expanded in terms of ##\underline \alpha## and ##\underline \beta##. The left sides of (88) and (89) are vectors that are perpendicular to ##\hat z## and functions of ##z##. So, for a given ##z##, they can be expressed as shown in (88) and (89) where ##V'(z), V''(z), I'(z)## and ##I''(z)## are the expansion coefficients.

However, if ##\underline E_t(z)## is the transverse electric field then the left side of (88) would be the transverse electric field rotated by 90 degrees around the ##\hat z## axis. So, as I see it, ##V'(z)## and ##V''(z)## are the expansion coefficients for this rotated vector rather than for ##\underline E_t(z)## itself.

Likes haji-tos
I see, thank you very much for your quick reply.
The thing is that, later on, it is said that for TE mode: V''=0, I''=0 and for the TM mode, V'=0, I'=0. Why is that ?

Thank you again !

haji-tos said:
The thing is that, later on, it is said that for TE mode: V''=0, I''=0 and for the TM mode, V'=0, I'=0. Why is that ?
It's been a while since I've gone through the details of TE and TM waves. But I think the following is true.

TE mode:
The electric field lies in the transverse plane (the plane perpendicular to ##\hat z##). So, ##\underline E(z) = \underline E_t(z).##

Also, ##\underline E_t(z)## is oriented in the transverse plane such that ##\underline E_t(z)## is perpendicular to ##\underline k_t##. Thus, ##\underline E_t(z)## is parallel to ##\underline \beta##. This implies ## \hat z \times \underline E_t(z)## is parallel to ##\underline \alpha##. So, ##V'' = 0##.

##\underline H_t(z)## is perpendicular to ##\underline E_t(z)##, so ##\underline H_t(z)## must also be parallel to ##\underline \alpha##. Hence, ##I'' = 0##.

TM mode:
The analysis is similar. Then, instead of ##\underline E_t(z)## being parallel to ##\underline \beta##, we have ##\underline H_t(z)## parallel to ##\underline \beta##. So, ##I' = 0##.

##\underline E_t(z)## is perpendicular to ##\underline H_t(z)## which implies ##\underline E_t(z)## is parallel to ##\underline \alpha##. Thus, ##\hat z \times \underline E_t(z)## is parallel to ##\underline \beta.## Therefore, ##V' = 0##.

Likes haji-tos
Great !! Thank you very much for your help ! I really appreciate it

Likes TSny

Related to Proving an equation in a book about Periodic Structures

1. How do I prove an equation in a book about Periodic Structures?

To prove an equation in a book about Periodic Structures, you typically start by understanding the variables and terms involved in the equation. Then, you can use mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or proof by induction to demonstrate the validity of the equation.

2. What are some common methods used to prove equations in the context of Periodic Structures?

Some common methods used to prove equations in the context of Periodic Structures include Fourier analysis, mathematical induction, proof by contradiction, and direct proof. These methods rely on logical reasoning and mathematical principles to establish the truth of the equation.

3. Can computer simulations be used to prove equations in a book about Periodic Structures?

While computer simulations can be a valuable tool for exploring and visualizing complex systems, they are typically not used as a primary method for proving equations in a book about Periodic Structures. Mathematical proofs are generally preferred for establishing the validity of equations in this context.

4. How important is it to prove equations in a book about Periodic Structures?

Proving equations in a book about Periodic Structures is essential for ensuring the accuracy and reliability of the information presented. By providing rigorous mathematical proofs, authors can demonstrate the validity of their equations and enhance the credibility of their work.

5. What should I do if I am having trouble proving an equation in a book about Periodic Structures?

If you are having trouble proving an equation in a book about Periodic Structures, it can be helpful to seek assistance from a mentor, colleague, or online resources. Exploring different approaches, breaking down the problem into smaller steps, and practicing problem-solving techniques can also aid in overcoming challenges in proving equations.