Proving absolute values theorems

This proves that if $x+y \ge 0$, then $|x+y|=x+y$. In summary, for all real numbers $x$ and $y$, if $x + y \ge 0$, then $|x + y| = x + y$.
tmt1
For all real numbers $x$ and $y$ , if $x + y >= 0$ then $|x + y| = x + y$. How would I prove this?

My textbook just assumes this to be true.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let $a = x+y$. What is $|a|$?

Deveno said:
Let $a = x+y$. What is $|a|$?

$|x + y|$

tmt said:
For all real numbers $x$ and $y$ , if $x + y >= 0$ then $|x + y| = x + y$. How would I prove this?

My textbook just assumes this to be true.

The absolute value of a real number is defined as:
$$|a| = \begin{cases}a&\text{if } a\ge 0 \\ -a & \text{if } a<0\end{cases}$$

Since it is already given that $a = x+y \ge 0$, it follows from the definition that $|x+y|=x+y$.

Related to Proving absolute values theorems

What is an absolute value theorem?

An absolute value theorem is a mathematical statement that describes the relationship between an absolute value and its corresponding value without the absolute value sign. It is used to prove certain properties and inequalities in mathematics.

Why are absolute value theorems important?

Absolute value theorems are important because they provide a way to prove properties and inequalities involving absolute values. They are also useful for solving equations and understanding the behavior of absolute value functions.

What are some common absolute value theorems?

Some common absolute value theorems include the Triangle Inequality Theorem, the Inequality of Arithmetic and Geometric Means, and the Triangle Sum Theorem. These theorems are often used in geometry and algebra to prove various properties and inequalities.

How do you prove an absolute value theorem?

To prove an absolute value theorem, you must first identify which theorem you want to prove and then use mathematical logic and reasoning to show that the statement is true. This may involve using definitions, properties, and other theorems to build a logical argument.

What are some real-life applications of absolute value theorems?

Absolute value theorems have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, the Triangle Inequality Theorem is used in navigation to determine the shortest distance between two points, and the Inequality of Arithmetic and Geometric Means is used in economics to analyze data and make predictions.