Proving a Trigonometric Identity Using Exponential Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses a method for proving the identity \arccos{z} =i \ln { z + (z^2 -1)^\frac{1}{2} } by rewriting it in terms of the exponential and taking the derivative to show that the value is constant. The method is then applied to solve for the value of z. The conversation also includes a discussion about taking a logarithm and the use of a proof rather than a derivation.
DrKareem
Hi. I need to prove the following identity

[tex] \arccos{z} =i \ln { z + (z^2 -1)^\frac{1}{2} } [/tex]

I was given a hint to write
[tex]\cos{A}=z[/tex],
then rewrite
[tex]\cos{A}[/tex]

in terms of the exponential.
[tex]\cos{A}=\frac{\exp{iA}+\exp{-iA}}{2}=z[/tex]

I took the log on both sides and got stuck at that point.

[tex] \ln{\exp{iA} + \exp{-iA}}=\ln{z^2} [/tex]

I know it's a correct method becaues the right hand is starting to take form. But i just couldn't solve for A (which will be [tex]\arccos{z}[/tex] right?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why take a log at that point? It's essentially a quadratic equation.

I have a favorite way of proving equation :D

say we have u=v

I let f(x)=u/v, Prove that the derivative is zero, so the answer is unchanging. Then I solve it for 1 value, we know u/v=k, k is some value. Fun Fun :)

In This case we could write [tex]f(z)=\frac{\arccos{z}}{i \ln { z + (z^2 -1)^\frac{1}{2} }}[/tex]. Find [tex]f'(z)[/tex], as you will see it is equal to zero. Then prove it for one value of z, 1 looks like the easies to me :). You will see f(z)=1. Multiply both sides by the denominator and its all good :)

Hurkyl said:
Why take a log at that point? It's essentially a quadratic equation.

There must be something trivial that I'm not seeing. I still can't figure out how to solve for A.
I have a favorite way of proving equation :D

say we have u=v

I let f(x)=u/v, Prove that the derivative is zero, so the answer is unchanging. Then I solve it for 1 value, we know u/v=k, k is some value. Fun Fun :)

In This case we could write LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment.. Find LaTeX graphic is being generated. Reload this page in a moment., as you will see it is equal to zero. Then prove it for one value of z, 1 looks like the easies to me :). You will see f(z)=1. Multiply both sides by the denominator and its all good :)

1) I didn't quite understand your method
2) I prefer deriving rather than proving it.

Thanks so far for the help.

What if A were -i ln B?

DrKareem said:
in terms of the exponential.
[tex]\cos{A}=\frac{\exp{iA}+\exp{-iA}}{2}=z[/tex]

I took the log on both sides and got stuck at that point.

[tex] \ln{\exp{iA} + \exp{-iA}}=\ln{z^2} [/tex]

I know it's a correct method becaues the right hand is starting to take form. But i just couldn't solve for A (which will be [tex]\arccos{z}[/tex] right?).

For one thing, you didn't take the log correctly to begin with - you would have gotten ln(2z), not z^2, but that's irrelevant, because as Hurkyl said you don't need to take a logarithm. Instead, just get everything to one side:

[tex]e^{Ai} + e^{-Ai} - 2z = 0[/tex]

Now then, what if you multiplied the equation by [itex]e^{Ai}[/itex]? Connect the result of this multiplication with Hurkyl's first comment; can you see then how to proceed?

Well basically, to understand my method, say we wish to prove u=v.

If u=v, then y=u/v is constant, 1. y is always equal to 1 is u and v are equal. So, to show the y value is never changing, we take the derivative of u/v. The derivative is basically the rate of change. If the derivative is zero, then the value never changes. So, we just take the derivative, prove it is zero. Now we know the value never changes, solve u/v for 1 easy value, in this case 1.

Now we know u/v=1, or u=v.

Of course, as you said, this is a proof rather than a derivation. But you asked for a proof, I gave you one :P

Thanks a lot for your help, I was able to solve it.

Related to Proving a Trigonometric Identity Using Exponential Functions

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that relates different trigonometric functions to each other. These identities are true for all values of the variables involved, and can be used to simplify or solve trigonometric equations.

What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities include Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, sum and difference identities, and product-to-sum identities.

How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you must manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric identities, until it is equivalent to the other side. This process may involve using common trigonometric identities or using specific formulas for the given identity.

Why are trigonometric identities important in mathematics?

Trigonometric identities are important in mathematics because they allow us to simplify and solve equations involving trigonometric functions. They also help us establish relationships between different trigonometric functions, making it easier to understand and apply these functions in real-world situations.

How can I remember all the different trigonometric identities?

One way to remember the different trigonometric identities is to practice using them frequently. You can also create flashcards or mnemonic devices to help you remember the formulas and patterns. Another helpful tip is to understand the derivation of these identities, as this can aid in remembering them.