Proving a subset of a cartesion cross product

In summary, if A x B is a subset of C x D, then A is a subset of C and B is a subset of D. This can be proven by contraposition, which states that if A is not a subset of C or B is not a subset of D, then A x B is not a subset of C x D.
ar6

Homework Statement

A, B, C and D are sets

if A x B is a subset of C x D then A is a subset of C and B is a subset of D.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt by contraposition.

Assume A is not a subset of C or B is not a subset of D. There exists an 'a' which is an element of A but is not an element of C and there exists a 'b' that is an element of B but not an element of D. 'a,b' is an element of A x B but 'a,b' is not an element of C x D. Therefore, A x B is not a subset of C X D. Thus, by contraposition, if A x B is a subset of C x D then A is a subset of C and B is a subset of D.

Physics news on Phys.org
looks ok to me. but I must say I am a bit rusty on this kind of proofs these days. when I have more time, I may return and check it again.

EDIT: on 2nd thought, it still looks good to me :smile:

Last edited:

Related to Proving a subset of a cartesion cross product

1. What is a subset of a Cartesian cross product?

A subset of a Cartesian cross product is a set of elements that are derived from the Cartesian product of two or more sets. This subset contains elements that are a combination of elements from the original sets, but only a portion of them.

2. How do you prove that a set is a subset of a Cartesian cross product?

To prove that a set is a subset of a Cartesian cross product, you can use the subset symbol (∈) and set builder notation to show that all elements in the subset are also present in the Cartesian cross product.

3. What is the difference between a subset and a proper subset of a Cartesian cross product?

A subset of a Cartesian cross product contains at least one element that is also present in the original product, while a proper subset does not contain any elements from the original product.

4. Can a subset of a Cartesian cross product be empty?

Yes, a subset of a Cartesian cross product can be empty if it does not contain any elements that are also present in the original product.

5. Why is proving a subset of a Cartesian cross product important in mathematics?

Proving a subset of a Cartesian cross product is important in mathematics because it allows us to show the relationship between different sets and their elements. It also helps to determine if a particular set meets certain criteria or properties.