Proving a set of functions is bounded in an open set

In summary, the given statement is incorrect as it assumes that the set of continuous functions from a complete metric space X to R is bounded for every x in X. This is not possible as any constant function can be continuous and take on any value in R, making the set unbounded.
mahler1
Homework Statement .

Let ##X## be a complete metric space and consider ##C(X)## the space of continuous functions from ##X## to ##\mathbb R## with the metric ##d_{\infty}##. Suppose that for every ##x \in X##, the set ##\{f(x): f \in C(X)\}## is bounded in ##\mathbb R##. Prove that there exist an open set ##U \subset X## and ##C>0## such that ##\forall x \in U## and ##\forall f \in C(X)##, ##|f(x)|\leq C##. The attempt at a solution.

I am totally lost with this problem. I am having trouble understanding what I am trying to prove here. Would the proof of this statement mean that ##C(X)## is bounded restricted to some subset of ##X##? Can anyone suggest me where to begin? A lot of information is given in the statement: ##X## is complete, the functions are continuous, etc, but I don't know how to properly use all these facts.

Physics news on Phys.org
mahler1 said:
Homework Statement .

Let ##X## be a complete metric space and consider ##C(X)## the space of continuous functions from ##X## to ##\mathbb R## with the metric ##d_{\infty}##. Suppose that for every ##x \in X##, the set ##\{f(x): f \in C(X)\}## is bounded in ##\mathbb R##. Prove that there exist an open set ##U \subset X## and ##C>0## such that ##\forall x \in U## and ##\forall f \in C(X)##, ##|f(x)|\leq C##. The attempt at a solution.

I am totally lost with this problem. I am having trouble understanding what I am trying to prove here. Would the proof of this statement mean that ##C(X)## is bounded restricted to some subset of ##X##? Can anyone suggest me where to begin? A lot of information is given in the statement: ##X## is complete, the functions are continuous, etc, but I don't know how to properly use all these facts.

I don't get what they mean either. If C(X) is the space of all continuous functions X->R, then any constant function f(x)=M for arbitrary M in R is continous. So f(x) can be anything in R. So how can you assume f(x) is bounded for all f in C(X)? I'm not sure the question (whatever it is) has been stated correctly.

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
I don't get what they mean either. If C(X) is the space of all continuous functions X->R, then any constant function f(x)=M for arbitrary M in R is continous. So f(x) can be anything in R. So how can you assume f(x) is bounded for all f in C(X)? I'm not sure the question (whatever it is) has been stated correctly.

You're right, it doesn't make any sense to assume what the exercise tells to assume because of what you've said. I've taken this exercise from an old exam, if I can figure out if there was any correction on the statement, I'll post it. As you've noticed, as it is now, it is incorrect.

Related to Proving a set of functions is bounded in an open set

1. What does it mean for a set of functions to be bounded in an open set?

A set of functions is considered bounded in an open set if there exists a finite number M such that the absolute value of each function in the set is less than or equal to M at every point within the open set. In other words, there is a maximum value that all functions in the set can reach within the open set.

2. How can we prove that a set of functions is bounded in an open set?

To prove that a set of functions is bounded in an open set, we need to show that there exists a finite number M such that the absolute value of each function in the set is less than or equal to M at every point within the open set. This can be done by using the definition of boundedness and applying it to each function in the set.

3. What is the importance of proving a set of functions is bounded in an open set?

Proving that a set of functions is bounded in an open set is important because it allows us to make conclusions about the behavior of the functions within that set. For example, if we know that a set of functions is bounded in an open set, we can infer that the functions do not grow too large or too small within that open set. This information can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications.

4. Can a set of functions be bounded in one open set but not in another?

Yes, it is possible for a set of functions to be bounded in one open set but not in another. This is because the concept of boundedness is dependent on the specific open set in question. A set of functions may be bounded in one open set if there exists a finite number M that satisfies the definition of boundedness, but that same set of functions may not be bounded in a different open set if there is no finite number M that satisfies the definition.

5. Are there any other methods for proving a set of functions is bounded in an open set besides using the definition of boundedness?

Yes, there are other methods for proving a set of functions is bounded in an open set. Some other techniques include using the Mean Value Theorem, the Extreme Value Theorem, or the Cauchy-Schwarz inequality. These methods may provide a quicker or more elegant way to prove boundedness in certain cases. However, the definition of boundedness is the most fundamental and commonly used method for proving boundedness.