Proving a sequence has a lower bound

In summary: The condition x_n - x_{n+1} \geq 0 is saying that the sequence is monotonic decreasing. A sequence which is monotonic decreasing and bounded below converges.
Z90E532

Homework Statement

Given the sequence ##\frac{1}{2}(x_n + \frac{2}{x_n})= x_{n+1}##, where ##x_1 =1##:

Prove that ##x_n## is never less than ##\sqrt{2}##, then use this to prove that ##x_n - x_{n+1} \ge 0## and conclude ##\lim x_n = \sqrt{2}##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Graphing the equation ##\frac{1}{2}(x_n + \frac{2}{x_n})= y##, it's easy to see that that it is greater than ##\sqrt{2}## for all positive values of ##x##. I'm just not sure how to do this algebraically.

Even if we take it that the lowest bound is ##\sqrt{2}##, we can do $$x_n - x_{n+1} = x_n - \frac{x_n}{2}-\frac{1}{x_n} = \frac{x_n}{2} - \frac{1}{x_n} \ge 0$$ and if the minimum ##x_n = \sqrt{2}##, we can see that it will always be ##\ge 0##. I'm not sure how to do this without hand-waiving the first part, and I also don't know how to get from this to finding the limit of the sequence.

Physics news on Phys.org
To find the limit is easy, if the limit exists then ##\lim{x_n}=\lim{x_{n+1}}=L## , use that and take the limit on both sides of the defining recurrence equation to make (using of the properties of limit for addition and division) a quadratic equation for L that is ##\frac{1}{2}(L+\frac{2}{L})=L##.

To prove that all the terms (except the first) are bigger than ##\sqrt2## maybe induction on n could work.

Z90E532 said:

Homework Statement

Given the sequence ##\frac{1}{2}(x_n + \frac{2}{x_n})= x_{n+1}##, where ##x_1 =1##:

Prove that ##x_n## is never less than ##\sqrt{2}##, then use this to prove that ##x_n - x_{n+1} \ge 0## and conclude ##\lim x_n = \sqrt{2}##.

Presumably this is for [itex]n \geq 2[/itex], since [itex]x_1 = 1 < \sqrt{2}[/itex].

Homework Equations

Graphing the equation ##\frac{1}{2}(x_n + \frac{2}{x_n})= y##, it's easy to see that that it is greater than ##\sqrt{2}## for all positive values of ##x##. I'm just not sure how to do this algebraically.

Show that [tex]x_{n+1}^2 = 2 + \frac{(x_n^2 - 2)^2}{4x_n^2}.[/tex]

Even if we take it that the lowest bound is ##\sqrt{2}##, we can do $$x_n - x_{n+1} = x_n - \frac{x_n}{2}-\frac{1}{x_n} = \frac{x_n}{2} - \frac{1}{x_n} \ge 0$$ and if the minimum ##x_n = \sqrt{2}##, we can see that it will always be ##\ge 0##. I'm not sure how to do this without hand-waiving the first part, and I also don't know how to get from this to finding the limit of the sequence.

The condition [itex]x_n - x_{n+1} \geq 0[/itex] is saying that the sequence is monotonic decreasing. A sequence which is monotonic decreasing and bounded below converges.

Likes Delta2
Z90E532 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Look at the arithmetic-geometric inequality; see
http://jwilson.coe.uga.edu/emt725/AMGM/AMGM.html

Related to Proving a sequence has a lower bound

What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. It can be finite or infinite. For example, 2, 5, 8, 11, 14... is a sequence with a common difference of 3.

What is a lower bound?

A lower bound is the smallest number in a set of numbers. In the context of a sequence, a lower bound is the smallest number that the sequence can never go below.

How do you prove a sequence has a lower bound?

To prove that a sequence has a lower bound, you need to show that there is a number that is always greater than or equal to every term in the sequence. This can be done through mathematical induction or by showing that the sequence is monotonically increasing.

Why is it important to prove a sequence has a lower bound?

Proving a sequence has a lower bound is important because it provides information about the behavior of the sequence. It ensures that the sequence will never go below a certain value, which can be useful in predicting the future values of the sequence.

What are some real-life examples of sequences with lower bounds?

Some real-life examples of sequences with lower bounds include the minimum temperature in a city over a period of time, the minimum amount of money in a bank account over a period of time, and the minimum height of a plant as it grows over time.