Proving a particle is moving in an elliptical orbit.

In summary, a particle of mass m is subject to two forces, P(t) and Q(t), acting in the x direction and on the y=x line respectively. The problem can be solved using cartesian coordinates, but it may be easier to use polar coordinates. By analyzing the forces in polar coordinates, it can be shown that the particle is in an elliptical orbit with the equation x(t)2/b2 + y(t)2/b2 = 1.
GroupActiion

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is acted upon by two forces. P(t) in the x direction with magnitude p(sinkt) and Q(t) acting on the line y=x with magnitude qsinkt. At t=0 it starts at (b,0,0) and velocity p/(mk) moving toward the origin. Prove the particle is in an elliptical orbit.

2. The attempt at a solution
I have tried doing the problem in cartesian coordinates. The Q(t) force acts on the y=x line which makes a 45° angle with the x axis. Thus the force has a y and an x component. The y component is Q(t)sin°45 and the x component is Q(t)cos 45°. Adding up components in the y and x directions give two uncoupled differential equations(Newton's second law). Problem is when I solve for the x(t) and y(t) along with the integration constants accounted for I get long expressions which do not make it obvious the particle is in an elliptical orbit i.e (x(t)2/b2 + y(t)2/b2 = 1). Am I on the right track? I do not need detailed descriptions just wondering if my analysis of the forces is right. Is there a way of analyzing the forces in polar coordinates because that way Q(t) acts in the radial direction and perhaps one would need to find the component of P(t) working the θ direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi GroupActiion! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Hint: change the coordinates! :wink:

Related to Proving a particle is moving in an elliptical orbit.

1. What is an elliptical orbit?

An elliptical orbit is a type of orbital motion where an object, such as a planet or satellite, follows a curved path around another object due to the influence of gravity. In an elliptical orbit, the object moves in an oval or elliptical shape around the other object.

2. How do you prove that a particle is moving in an elliptical orbit?

To prove that a particle is moving in an elliptical orbit, you can use Kepler's laws of planetary motion, which state that planets move in elliptical orbits around the sun. You can also use mathematical equations, such as the equation of an ellipse, to determine the shape of the orbit.

3. What factors affect the shape of an elliptical orbit?

The shape of an elliptical orbit is affected by the mass of the objects involved, the distance between them, and the speed and direction of the moving object. These factors determine the strength of the gravitational force and the resulting shape of the orbit.

4. Can a particle have an elliptical orbit around multiple objects?

Yes, a particle can have an elliptical orbit around multiple objects. This is known as a multi-body problem, and it involves calculating the gravitational forces and interactions between all of the objects to determine the shape and path of the particle's orbit.

5. Is an elliptical orbit stable?

An elliptical orbit can be stable or unstable, depending on the speed and distance of the object in orbit. If the object is moving at a high speed or is too close to the central object, it may experience gravitational pull that causes it to deviate from its orbital path. However, if the object is moving at a moderate speed and at a safe distance, the orbit can be stable and will continue for an extended period of time.