Proving a Determinant Identity for Beginners

In summary: R(2) and R(3) and get a 0..(R2 -> R2 + R3)...so that's aint the problem...u will get zeros...bu the problem gets more complicated i u proceed...so what i want is...a stock algorithm to get the answer...
Vishalrox
1. The problem

Prove that

| (a+b-c) (-c+a-b) (a+b+c) |
| (a-c) (c-a) (b-a) | = (a+b-c)(-c+a-b)(a-c)
| (a-b) (a-c) (a+b) |

using properties of determinants without expanding a determinant

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried a lot of ways like with following steps C(3) -> C(3) + C(2) , R(1) -> R(1) + R(2) ,
R(1) -> R(1) + R(2) - R(3)...but i could get nothing...its not my homework sum...i am just a 7th grade maths enthusiast...i saw this sum somewhere...i tried to solve this but couldn't get...can anyone help me up to solve this...or atleast guide me...where C(1) means column 1 and R(1) means Row 1 and similar things to that

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(a+b-c) (-c+a-b) (a+b+c) |
| (a-b) (a-c) (a+b) |
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}a+b- c & -c+a-b & a+b+c \\ a-c & c-a & b-a \\ a-b & a-c & a+b\end{array}\right|[/tex]

"C(3) -> C(3) + C(2)". Okay, that gives
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}a+b- c & -c+a-b & 2a \\ a-c & c-a & b+c-2a \\ a-b & a-c & 2a+b-c\end{array}\right|[/tex]

But may I ask why you did that? How does it improve the situation?

Notice that the right side, (a+b-c)(-c+a-b)(a-c), is a product of three numbers, one of which is the upper left element of the determinant. The determinant of a diagonal or triangular matrix is just the product of the numbers on the main diagonal so I would recommend using row operations to change all numbers below the main diagonal to 0. For example, changing R2 to R2- (a-c)/(a+b-c)R1 will make the second row of the first column equal to 0.

that was one of the steps i did...i tried with many properties meddled with this a lot...but couldn't get a thing...instead of what you said i would just add R(2) and R(3) and get a 0..(R2 -> R2 + R3)...so that's aint the problem...u will get zeros...bu the problem gets more complicated i u proceed...so what i want is...a stock algorithm to get the answer...

Last edited:
Vishalrox said:
1. The problem

Prove that

| (a+b-c) (-c+a-b) (a+b+c) |
| (a-b) (a-c) (a+b) |

using properties of determinants without expanding a determinant

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried a lot of ways like with following steps C(3) -> C(3) + C(2) , R(1) -> R(1) + R(2) ,
R(1) -> R(1) + R(2) - R(3)...but i could get nothing...its not my homework sum...i am just a 7th grade maths enthusiast...i saw this sum somewhere...i tried to solve this but couldn't get...can anyone help me up to solve this...or atleast guide me...where C(1) means column 1 and R(1) means Row 1 and similar things to that

The claimed result is false. Let D denote the determinant and R the expression on the right. When a=1, b=2, c=3 we have D = 16 but R = 0. When a=-1, b=0, c=2 we have D = 24 but R = -27.

There must be something wrong with the expressions you wrote.

RGV

Thanks, Ray. I didn't check.

Oh thanks...

Related to Proving a Determinant Identity for Beginners

1. What is a sum in determinants?

A sum in determinants refers to the process of adding or subtracting the products of elements in a matrix to find the determinant of that matrix. It is an important concept in linear algebra and is commonly used in solving systems of linear equations and finding the inverse of a matrix.

2. How is a sum in determinants calculated?

A sum in determinants is calculated by using the Laplace expansion or cofactor expansion method. This involves selecting a row or column in the matrix and multiplying each element in that row or column by its corresponding minor (determinant of the submatrix formed by removing the selected row and column). The resulting products are then alternately added and subtracted to find the final determinant.

3. What is the significance of a sum in determinants?

A sum in determinants is significant because it allows for the efficient calculation of determinants, which are important in various mathematical fields such as linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. Determinants also have applications in physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can a sum in determinants be used to solve systems of linear equations?

Yes, a sum in determinants can be used to solve systems of linear equations. By setting the determinant of the coefficient matrix (known as the system's determinant) equal to zero, the values of the variables can be determined using Cramer's rule, which involves finding the ratio of two determinants. This method is particularly useful for solving systems with three or more variables.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for calculating a sum in determinants?

Yes, there are some shortcuts or tricks that can be used to calculate a sum in determinants more efficiently. For example, using a matrix with a diagonal of all zeros can simplify the calculation process. Other techniques, such as using row operations to create zeros in a matrix, can also make the calculation easier.