Provincial Exam: Circular Motion

In summary: So in summary, the cart must have a minimum speed of 3.0 kilometers per hour to make it around the loop.
Senjai

Homework Statement

A frictionless 3.0 kg roller coaster cart rolls down an incline, and then "loops the loop."

At what height, h, should the cart be released so that it does not fall off the circular track.

The loop has a radius of 6.0m and a height of 12.0 m.

Homework Equations

[tex] a_c = \frac{v^2}{r} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an old practice exam, so if this has anything to do with escape velocities, it has been taken out of our curriculum.

I don't know quite where to start.

I know that you would require a certain velocity, conceptually, to be able to make it around the loop.

And [tex] v \propto h [/tex] because of the law of energy conservation. but i don't know what minimum velocity i would need?

I could kinda see a relation of using a centripetal acceleration to find out the velocity required and therefore the height, and find out the centripetal accelleration using Newtons Second, i just don't know how i can work it out.

Physics news on Phys.org
Senjai said:
I know that you would require a certain velocity, conceptually, to be able to make it around the loop.
Figure out the minimum speed at the top of the loop by examining the forces acting. Apply Newton's 2nd law.

Hi Doc Al, haven't seen you for a while.

At the top of the loop, their are two forces, both the normal force and the gravitational force are in the same direction.

But i don't know the normal force? I would assume that their is one because something has to keep it in its circular path. But i have no way to calculate it.

Once i have the normal force.. i would assume

[tex] F_c = F_N + F_g [/tex]

[tex] m\frac{v^2}{r} = F_N + mg [/tex]

Again though, i am unsure how to find the normal force, two unknowns and i only have one equation. Is their another equation I am neglecting?

What will the normal force be when the cart just barely loses contact with the track?

zero, so then gravity will F centrepetal? and calculate from there?

Exactly.

Related to Provincial Exam: Circular Motion

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of movement in which an object follows a circular path around a fixed point. This can occur either horizontally or vertically.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves with a constant speed along a circular path, while non-uniform circular motion is when the speed of the object changes at different points along the circular path.

3. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is required for an object to maintain its circular motion.

4. How is the frequency of circular motion related to its period?

The frequency of circular motion is the number of complete revolutions an object makes in a given time period. The period is the time it takes for one complete revolution. They are inversely proportional, meaning that as the frequency increases, the period decreases.

5. How is circular motion used in real life?

Circular motion is used in many real-life applications, such as amusement park rides, car engines, and the orbits of planets around the sun. It is also used in sports like ice skating, figure skating, and gymnastics.