Prove this equation with calculus knowledge

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of proving a given equation involving tangents and cotangents. The person asking for help is given a hint involving finite calculus and is able to prove it without using any additional knowledge. The conversation also mentions the relationship between finite calculus and infinitesimal calculus.
aerograce
I feel it quite difficult to prove this equation:
[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]tan([itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]x)+[itex]\frac{1}{2^2}[/itex]tan([itex]\frac{1}{2^2}[/itex]x)+...+[itex]\frac{1}{2^n}[/itex]tan([itex]\frac{1}{2^n}[/itex]x)=[itex]\frac{1}{2^n}[/itex]cot([itex]\frac{1}{2^n}[/itex]x)-cotx

Can you help me with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you tried?
$$\text{Let $0<x<\pi/2$, and n a positive integer} \\\text{prove that}\\
\sum_{k=1}^n \tan(x/2^k)/2^k=\cot(x/2^n)/2^n-cot(x)$$
hint
$$\tan(x/2^k)/2^k=\cot(x/2^k)/2^k-\cot(x/2^{k-1})/2^{k-1}$$

Last edited:
So it has nothing to do with calculus or derivative?

That is a usual problem in finite calculus which deals with sums and differences. It does not seem particularly related to infinitesimal calculus which deals with derivatives and integrals. Though the two are closely related.

Aww.. But I didn't use any finite calculus knowledge with your hint. I just proved your hint and then I found that I need nothing more.

A basic result in finite calculus is
$$\sum_{k=1}^n (a_k-a_{k-1})=a_n-a_0$$
Which my hint was an example of. The tricky part is figuring out how to write the terms of the sum as a difference.
There are some examples here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indefinite_sum

Related to Prove this equation with calculus knowledge

1. What is calculus and how is it used to prove equations?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is used to prove equations by providing a systematic way to find the exact solutions to problems involving rates of change, optimization, and other mathematical concepts.

2. What is the process of proving an equation using calculus?

The process of proving an equation using calculus involves breaking down the equation into smaller parts, applying calculus principles such as derivatives and integrals to each part, and then combining them to arrive at a solution. It also involves using logical reasoning and mathematical proofs to verify the validity of the solution.

3. Can any equation be proven using calculus?

No, not every equation can be proven using calculus. Some equations may require other mathematical methods or may not have a solution at all. However, calculus can be used to prove a wide range of equations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

4. What are some common calculus techniques used to prove equations?

Some common calculus techniques used to prove equations include the chain rule, product rule, quotient rule, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. Other techniques such as implicit differentiation, related rates, and optimization can also be used depending on the nature of the equation.

5. How can one improve their skills in using calculus to prove equations?

One can improve their skills in using calculus to prove equations by practicing regularly, understanding the fundamental concepts, and familiarizing oneself with the various techniques and their applications. Seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in improving one's skills in calculus.