Prove the product of orientable manifolds is again orientable

In summary, the problem is to prove that the product of two orientable manifolds is an orientable manifold. This can be done by constructing an (m+n)-form using the nowhere vanishing m- and n-forms on the respective manifolds and applying the alternation mapping to get an antisymmetric multilinear map. However, it is unclear if this map is a diffeomorphism, surjective, and nowhere vanishing, making the proof difficult. It may also be helpful to consider the cotangent bundle of the product manifold.
hatsoff

Homework Statement

Let M and N be orientable m- and n-manifolds, respectively. Prove that their product is an orientable (m+n)-manifold.

Homework Equations

An m-manifold M is orientable iff it has a nowhere vanishing m-form.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I would take nowhere vanishing m- and n-forms f and g on M and N, respectively, and use them to construct an (m+n)-form h on MxN. However I don't know how this construction would proceed. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm assuming that the word orientable in the problem statement is just missing. Given an m-form and an n-form there's only one real way to ever construct an m+n form. It might help to remember/prove that the cotangent bundle of MxN is TM*xTN*

Office_Shredder said:
I'm assuming that the word orientable in the problem statement is just missing. Given an m-form and an n-form there's only one real way to ever construct an m+n form. It might help to remember/prove that the cotangent bundle of MxN is TM*xTN*

Thanks for the response. My first thought is to let

[tex]\varphi(m,n)(x_1,\cdots,x_{m+n})=f(m,n)(x_1,\cdots,x_m)+g(m,n)(x_{m+1},\cdots,x_{m+n})[/tex]

so that each φ(m,n) is (m+n)-multilinear, and then apply the alternation mapping A to get the antisymmetric multilinear map h(m,n)=A(φ(m,n)), that is,

[tex](h)(m,n)(x_1,\cdots,x_{m+n})=\frac{1}{(m+n)!}\sum_{ \sigma\in S_{m+n}}(\text{sgn }\sigma)\varphi(m,n)(x_{ \sigma(1)},\cdots,x_{ \sigma (m+n)})[/tex]

But there is so much about that map which I wouldn't know how to prove. For instance, is h a diffeomorphism with its image? I know that it maps into the set of (m+n)-multilinear maps from R^{(m+n)(m+n)} into R, but is it really surjective like I need? And is it nowhere vanishing? If I knew in advance that the answers to these questions were all "yes," then I wouldn't mind spending a lot of time trying to prove it. But I don't know any of that, and it's very frustrating.

As to the cotangent bundle, I'm not sure how that would help. In fact I had to look it up on wikipedia, since I've never encountered it before.

Related to Prove the product of orientable manifolds is again orientable

What is an orientable manifold?

An orientable manifold is a type of mathematical space that can be consistently assigned an orientation, meaning that there is a consistent way to define a "right-handed" and "left-handed" direction on the manifold.

Why is it important to prove that the product of orientable manifolds is again orientable?

Proving that the product of orientable manifolds is again orientable is important because it allows us to generalize the concept of orientability to higher dimensional spaces. It also has applications in various fields such as topology, differential geometry, and physics.

What is the significance of orientability in mathematics?

Orientability is an important concept in mathematics because it allows us to define consistent notions of orientation and integration on manifolds. This is essential for developing a rigorous understanding of geometric and topological properties of spaces.

What are some examples of orientable manifolds?

Examples of orientable manifolds include Euclidean spaces of any dimension, spheres, tori, and any other smooth surfaces without boundary.

What are the steps for proving that the product of orientable manifolds is again orientable?

The steps for proving that the product of orientable manifolds is again orientable include defining a consistent orientation on the product space, showing that the orientation is well-defined and consistent, and proving that the product space satisfies the necessary properties for orientability, such as being locally homeomorphic to Euclidean space.