Prove the given equation that involves indices

• Thread starter chwala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Indices
Thanks @Steve4Physics ...but allow me to ask on why it was necessary in the context of the OP's question to define or rather re-define the terms subscript and superscripts i.e in post...#6 and #8I think it was because the title of this thread was about indices and subscripts, yet the actual problem was about exponents and subscripts. It seems that the OP could have used a little help with the terminology!So, in summary, the terms subscript and superscript are commonly used to refer to the numbers or symbols written below or above a letter or number, respectively. However, the correct terminology for these numbers or symbols is indices, as they are used to identify
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Prove that;
$$(a-a^{-1})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} + a^{\frac{-2}{3}}) = \frac {a^2-a^{-2}}{a^{\frac {-1}{3}}}$$
Relevant Equations
understanding of indices
My approach;
$$(a-a^{-1})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} + a^{\frac {-2}{3}})
=(a-\frac {1}{a})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} +\frac {1}{a^{\frac {2}{3}}})
=(\frac{a^2-1}{a})(\frac{a^2+1}{a^{\frac {2}{3}}})
=\frac{a^4+a^2-a^2-1}{a^{\frac {5}{3}}}
=\frac{a^4-1}{a^{\frac {5}{3}}}$$
now at this point i multiplied both numerator and denominator by ##a^{-2}##
to realize;
$$\frac{a^4⋅a^{-2}-1⋅a^{-2}}{a^{\frac {5}{3}}⋅a^{-2}}=\frac {a^2-a^{-2}}{a^{\frac {-1}{3}}}$$

Now to my question, is there a different way of proving this without bringing in ##a^{-2}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that;
$$(a-a^{-1})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} + a^{\frac{-2}{3}}) = \frac {a^2-a^{-2}}{a^{\frac {-1}{3}}}$$
Relevant Equations:: understanding of indices

My approach;
$$(a-a^{-1})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} + a^{\frac {-2}{3}})
=(a-\frac {1}{a})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} +\frac {1}{a^{\frac {2}{3}}})
=(\frac{a^2-1}{a})(\frac{a^2+1}{a^{\frac {2}{3}}})
=\frac{a^4+a^2-a^2-1}{a^{\frac {5}{3}}}
=\frac{a^4-1}{a^{\frac {5}{3}}}$$
now at this point i multiplied both numerator and denominator by ##a^{-2}##
to realize;
$$\frac{a^4⋅a^{-2}-1⋅a^{-2}}{a^{\frac {5}{3}}⋅a^{-2}}=\frac {a^2-a^{-2}}{a^{\frac {-1}{3}}}$$

Now to my question, is there a different way of proving this without bringing in ##a^{-2}##?
Notice that ##\displaystyle \ \ \left(a^{(4/3)}+a^{(-2/3)}\right)= \left(a^{(\,(1/3)+1)}+a^{(\,(1/3)-1)}\right)##

##\displaystyle \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad \quad = a^{1/3}\left(a+a^{-1}\right)##

Likes PeroK, Prof B, neilparker62 and 1 other person
An alternative, which is similar to SammyS's solution is to prove
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: Prove that;
Relevant Equations:: understanding of indices

An alternative, which is similar to SammyS's suggestion, is to prove
$$(a-a^{-1})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} + a^{\frac{-2}{3}})a^{\frac{1}{3}} = a^2-a^{-2}$$
Since a can't be 0, you can then divide through by $a^\frac{1}{3}$

By the way, superscripts are usually called exponents. Subscripts are indices.

• Skeptical
Likes chwala
Prof B said:
An alternative, which is similar to SammyS's solution is to prove

$$(a-a^{-1})(a^{\frac {4}{3}} + a^{\frac{-2}{3}})a^{\frac{1}{3}} = a^2-a^{-2}$$
Since a can't be 0, you can then divide through by $a^\frac{1}{3}$

By the way, superscripts are usually called exponents. Subscripts are indices.
I am not getting your point here...kindly elaborate how the knowledge of ##a≠0## will help in the problem...and why are you talking of superscripts and subscripts?

chwala said:
I am not getting your point here...kindly elaborate how the knowledge of ##a≠0## will help in the problem...and why are you talking of superscripts and subscripts?
I think it's because of the title of this thread versus what the actual topic is.

By the way, @Prof B is new to PF.

Prof B said:
you can then divide through by $a^\frac{1}{3}$
LaTeX here uses either two $ characters at each end for standalone equations/expressions, or two # characters at each end for inline equations/expressions.

Likes chwala
SammyS said:
I think it's because of the title of this thread versus what the actual topic is.

By the way, @Prof B is new to PF.
Maybe he needs some lessons on latex ...:biggrin:

chwala said:
Maybe he needs some lessons on latex ...:biggrin:
I should have been clearer in that reply. I was referring to his final comment which was about subscripts, superscripts, exponents, and indices.

SammyS said:
I should have been clearer in that reply. I was referring to his final comment which was about subscripts, superscripts, exponents, and indices.
He mentions that subscripts are indices... i am not getting that. Is that true? in my understanding i know that the term 'exponents, indices and power' can be used interchangeably in Mathematics to mean the same thing...it's true that a superscript may imply an exponent in a given math term ( e.g a variable or a number ).

chwala said:
He mentions that subscripts are indices... i am not getting that. Is that true? in my understanding i know that the term 'exponents, indices and power' can be used interchangeably in Mathematics to mean the same thing...it's true that a superscript may imply an exponent in a given math term ( e.g a variable or a number ).
Take x cubed (x³) as an example. At an introductory level you will often find the superscript ‘3’ referred to as a power, an exponent or an index. Informally, these terms are used interchangeably, though using ‘index’ is not strictly correct.

The correct use of ‘index’ (pl. indices) is to identity a particular value in (for example) a list). Think of the index at the back of a book – each entry is a ‘pointer’.

E.g. you measure the heights of 4 people. You could call the individual values h₁, h₂, h₃ and h₄. There is one index and the numbers (1, 2, 3 and 4) are values of the index - written as subscripts.

You may be interested to know that (confusingly) at a more advanced level (e.g. tensors), indices can by written as superscripts!

E.g. the contravariant components of a vector v could be written as v¹, v², v³ and v⁴ but the numbers are not powers. They are values of an index - simply labels like the 1, 2, 3 and 4 for heights.

If you wanted, say, to cube the 2nd component of the above vector, you would write (v²)³.

Likes SammyS
Steve4Physics said:
Take x cubed (x³) as an example. At an introductory level you will often find the superscript ‘3’ referred to as a power, an exponent or an index. Informally, these terms are used interchangeably, though using ‘index’ is not strictly correct.

The correct use of ‘index’ (pl. indices) is to identity a particular value in (for example) a list). Think of the index at the back of a book – each entry is a ‘pointer’.

E.g. you measure the heights of 4 people. You could call the individual values h₁, h₂, h₃ and h₄. There is one index and the numbers (1, 2, 3 and 4) are values of the index - written as subscripts.

You may be interested to know that (confusingly) at a more advanced level (e.g. tensors), indices can by written as superscripts!

E.g. the contravariant components of a vector v could be written as v¹, v², v³ and v⁴ but the numbers are not powers. They are values of an index - simply labels like the 1, 2, 3 and 4 for heights.

If you wanted, say, to cube the 2nd component of the above vector, you would write (v²)³.
Thanks @Steve4Physics ...but allow me to ask on why it was necessary in the context of the OP's question to define or rather re-define the terms subscript and superscripts i.e in post ##3##.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
LaTeX here uses either two $ characters at each end for standalone equations/expressions, or two # characters at each end for inline equations/expressions.
Thank you.

chwala said:
I am not getting your point here...kindly elaborate how the knowledge of ##a≠0## will help in the problem
You can't divide by 0. You can divide by anything that isn't 0.

chwala said:
...and why are you talking of superscripts and subscripts?
Because exponents and indices are different things, so the words can't be used interchangeably. Steve4Physics gave a very good explanation.

Prof B said:
Because exponents and indices are different things, so the words can't be used interchangeably. Steve4Physics gave a very good explanation.
You didn't read Steve4Physics's post closely enough, in which he said that exponents and indexes/indices are often used synonymously.

(Emphasis added...)
Steve4Physics said:
At an introductory level you will often find the superscript ‘3’ referred to as a power, an exponent or an index.
Additionally, I have noticed that European members here often use "index" in the same way that I would use "exponent." Tomato, tomahto...

Last edited:
I am wondering why @Prof B keeps misreading posts...I have gone through his posts on other questions...I hope he's really not looking at physicsforums questions and phishing for solutions from other sites...then respond to same questions on the forum ...there's clearly a lack of keenness to details. Mythoughts...

Related to Prove the given equation that involves indices

1. What is an index in mathematics?

An index, also known as an exponent, is a number that indicates the number of times a base number is multiplied by itself. It is written as a small number above and to the right of the base number.

2. How do you prove an equation involving indices?

To prove an equation involving indices, you must show that both sides of the equation simplify to the same value. This can be done by using the laws of indices, such as the product law, quotient law, and power law.

3. What is the product law of indices?

The product law of indices states that when multiplying two numbers with the same base, you can add the indices together. For example, am * an = am+n.

4. Can you use the quotient law of indices to prove an equation?

Yes, the quotient law of indices states that when dividing two numbers with the same base, you can subtract the indices. For example, am / an = am-n. This law can also be used in reverse to simplify an equation.

5. Are there any other laws of indices that can be used to prove an equation?

Yes, the power law of indices states that when raising a power to another power, you can multiply the indices. For example, (am)n = amn. This law can also be used to simplify an equation by breaking down the indices into smaller parts.