Prove the definitions of Linear Transformations

In summary: You just did it. T(s+t)=T(s)+T(t)=T(ax)+T(by) by (2.1.2). Now (2.1.3) says T(ax)=aT(x) and T(by)=b*T(y). Doesn't that mean you are done??
jinksys

Homework Statement

Show that 2.1.1 is equivalent to the totality of 2.1.2 and 2.1.3.

Homework Equations

0Vlw4.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

aTx + bTy = aT(x) + bT(y) = T(ax) + T(by) = T(ax + by) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's really pretty easy. Just think clearly about what you have prove. But there is a really nasty typo in (2.1.3). It should read T(ax)=a*T(x). Is that what's confusing you?

I can 'get' that 2.1.1 follows from 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 and visa versa, but I'm not sure how to say it as a proof. I've never been good with proofs.

jinksys said:
I can 'get' that 2.1.1 follows from 2.1.2 and 2.1.3 and visa versa, but I'm not sure how to say it as a proof. I've never been good with proofs.

You aren't bothered by (2.1.3) saying T(ax)=a*x?? You should be. But if you aren't good at proofs, maybe you aren't. Change (2.1.3) to T(ax)=a*T(x). The first stage of the proof is show that (2.1.1) implies (2.1.2) and (2.1.3). That's pretty easy. I'll give you a hint for the first part. Put a=1 and b=1 into (2.1.1). What do you conclude?

Dick said:
You aren't bothered by (2.1.3) saying T(ax)=a*x?? You should be. But if you aren't good at proofs, maybe you aren't. Change (2.1.3) to T(ax)=a*T(x). The first stage of the proof is show that (2.1.1) implies (2.1.2) and (2.1.3). That's pretty easy. I'll give you a hint for the first part. Put a=1 and b=1 into (2.1.1). What do you conclude?

I meant to say that I understood that T(ax)=aT(x), but only because I have other linear algebra books to help me get through this class.

If a=b=1,

T(ax +by) = T(1x + 1y) = T(1x) + T(1y) = 1T(x) + 1T(y) = T(x) + T(y)

Edit:

Now do I have to do a=a, b=0 to get:

T(ax + by) = T(ax) =aT(x) ?

jinksys said:
I meant to say that I understood that T(ax)=aT(x), but only because I have other linear algebra books to help me get through this class.

If a=b=1,

T(ax +by) = T(1x + 1y) = T(1x) + T(1y) = 1T(x) + 1T(y) = T(x) + T(y)

Ok, that's good. So that shows (2.1.1) implies (2.1.2). Can you show it also implies (2.1.3)? The final step of the proof is showing (2.1.2) AND (2.1.3) imply (2.1.1).

I'm not sure if you saw my edit or not, so I'll just give it its own post.

To show 2.1.3, do I let a=a and b=0?

T(ax + by) where a=a, b=0:

T(ax + 0y) = T(ax) = aT(x).

Conversely with a=0, b=b:

T(0x + by) = T(by) = bT(y)

jinksys said:
I'm not sure if you saw my edit or not, so I'll just give it its own post.

To show 2.1.3, do I let a=a and b=0?

T(ax + by) where a=a, b=0:

T(ax + 0y) = T(ax) = aT(x).

Conversely with a=0, b=b:

T(0x + by) = T(by) = bT(y)

Sure, that shows T(ax)=a*T(x). So (2.1.1) implies (2.1.3). Now you just have to show (2.1.2) AND (2.1.3) imply (2.1.1). Try it. You are doing fine so far.

I'm stumped, I can see how you would prove that 2.1.1 implies 2.1.2 and that 2.1.1 implies 2.1.3, but I'm not sure how to combine them.

Umm. You want to show T(ax+by)=aT(x)+bT(y), right? (2.1.2) says T of the sum of two vectors is T(first vector)+T(second vector), yes? Are ax and by vectors you could apply (2.1.2) to?

If you let s = ax and t = by,

then T(s + t) = T(s) + T(t) = T(ax) + T(by) = aTx + bTy,

So, T(ax + by) = aTx + bTy ?

Any closer?

jinksys said:
If you let s = ax and t = by,

then T(s + t) = T(s) + T(t) = T(ax) + T(by) = aTx + bTy,

So, T(ax + by) = aTx + bTy ?

Any closer?

Way closer. In fact, you finished it. Just say at what point you used (2.1.3).

So letting s=ax and t=by was the right thing to do?
Are there other ways to say 2.1.1 stems from 2.1.2 and 2.1.3?

jinksys said:
So letting s=ax and t=by was the right thing to do?
Are there other ways to say 2.1.1 stems from 2.1.2 and 2.1.3?

You just did it. T(s+t)=T(s)+T(t)=T(ax)+T(by) by (2.1.2). Now (2.1.3) says T(ax)=aT(x) and T(by)=b*T(y). Doesn't that mean you are done??

Related to Prove the definitions of Linear Transformations

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a function that takes in a vector and outputs another vector, while following specific rules.

2. What are the properties of a linear transformation?

There are three main properties of a linear transformation. First, it must follow the rule of additivity, meaning that the transformation of the sum of two vectors is equal to the sum of their individual transformations. Second, it must follow the rule of homogeneity, meaning that the transformation of a vector multiplied by a scalar is equal to the scalar multiplied by the transformation of the vector. Lastly, it must preserve the zero vector, meaning that the transformation of the zero vector is equal to the zero vector.

3. How do you prove that a function is a linear transformation?

To prove that a function is a linear transformation, you must show that it follows the three properties mentioned above. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation to show that the function satisfies the additivity and homogeneity properties. Additionally, you can show that the function preserves the zero vector by substituting in the zero vector and showing that it remains unchanged.

4. What is the role of matrices in linear transformations?

Matrices are a useful tool for representing and performing linear transformations. Each linear transformation can be represented by a unique matrix, and by multiplying this matrix with a vector, the transformation can be applied to that vector. This makes it easier to visualize and understand how a linear transformation affects vectors in a vector space.

5. Can all functions be considered linear transformations?

No, not all functions can be considered linear transformations. For a function to be a linear transformation, it must follow the three properties mentioned earlier. If a function does not satisfy these properties, then it cannot be considered a linear transformation. Additionally, a linear transformation must be a mapping between two vector spaces, so functions that do not fit this criteria cannot be considered linear transformations.