Prove that all possible lines in function of m form a plane

In summary, the given point and vector can be used to create a parametric and continuous equation for a line. All possible lines formed by the point and vector in function of m do not form a plane, but rather lie in a plane. This can be proven by taking the cross product of two of these lines and showing that the resulting vector is a multiple of the same vector.
powerof

Homework Statement

We are given a point A(1,1,1) and a vector v=(m-1,3m-5,2m-6). We are asked to write the parametric and continuous (I don't know if that's the appropriate term; in Spanish it's called "forma continua" but you'll see right away what I mean) equations of the line formed by these two.

Then prove that all the possible lines in function of m form a plane.

2. The equations mentioned above

[itex]\left\{\begin{matrix} x=1+(m-1)\lambda
\\ y=1+(3m-5)\lambda
\\ z=1+(2m-6)\lambda
\end{matrix}\right.[/itex]

[itex]\frac{x-1}{m-1}=\frac{y-1}{3m-5}=\frac{z-1}{2m-6}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to develop from the second equation the other form to write the line, that is, as an intersection of two planes. I wanted to see if the two normal vectors of the planes happened to be linearly dependent but I haven't had any luck so far. You get the following possible pair of planes:

[itex]\left\{\begin{matrix}\pi'\equiv (2m-6)x+(1-m)z+5-m=0
\\ \pi''\equiv(3m-5)x+(1-m)y+4-2m=0

[itex]\begin{matrix}\overrightarrow{u}_{\pi'}=(2m-6,0,1-m)
\\
\overrightarrow{u}_{\pi''}=(3m-5,1-m,0)
\end{matrix}[/itex]

I honestly don't like this way, it's way too messy in my opinion and I get lost easily. If possible, can I get a few pointers in another direction, to do it another way?

Physics news on Phys.org
powerof said:

Homework Statement

We are given a point A(1,1,1) and a vector v=(m-1,3m-5,2m-6). We are asked to write the parametric and continuous (I don't know if that's the appropriate term; in Spanish it's called "forma continua" but you'll see right away what I mean) equations of the line formed by these two.

\\ y=1+(3m-5)\lambda
\\ z=1+(2m-6)\lambda

I tried to develop from the second equation the other form to write the line, that is, as an intersection of two planes. I wanted to see if the two normal vectors of the planes happened to be linearly dependent but I haven't had any luck so far. You get the following possible pair of planes:

\\
\end{matrix}[/itex]

I honestly don't like this way, it's way too messy in my opinion and I get lost easily. If possible, can I get a few pointers in another direction, to do it another way?

I am not familiar with the method you are using. One thing you can do is consider the three lines with direction ratios ##<m_i-1,3m_i-5,2m_i-6>## for ##i=1,2,3## and show that the scalar triple product of these directions ratios is zero.

Yes, after a good night's sleep I realized my first attempt to do it doesn't make any sense so disregard it.

The normal vectors of the two planes don't have to be linearly dependent for all the possible lines to form a plane.

I did it the way you proposed and I got the correct solution:

[itex]\begin{vmatrix}
m_{1}-1 &3m_{1}-5 &2m_{1}-6 \\
m_{2}-1 &3m_{2}-5 &2m_{2}-6 \\
m_{3}-1&3m_{3}-5 & m_{3}-6
\end{vmatrix}=\begin{vmatrix}
m_{2}-m_{1} &3(m_{2}-m_{1}) &2(m_{2}-m_{1}) \\
m_{3}-m_{1}&3(m_{3}-m_{1}) & 2(m_{3}-m_{1})
\end{vmatrix}=(m_{3}-m_{1})(m_{2}-m_{1})\begin{vmatrix}
1 &3 &2 \\
1&3 & 2
\end{vmatrix}=0[/itex]

The first step I did was to subtract from the second and third rows the first one. After that the rest should be obvious at first sight.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited:
powerof said:

Homework Statement

\\ y=1+(3m-5)\lambda
\\ z=1+(2m-6)\lambda

\\
\end{matrix}[/itex]

There is a big difference between saying that the points "lie in a plane" vs. saying the points "form a plane". Certainly those points all lie in a certain plane ##P##, but the issue is: do all the points in ##P## have the indicated form? In other words, given ##(x,y,z)## in the plane ##P##, can we always find ##\lambda## and ##m## that satisfy your three equations? If that is true the points truly do form a plane; but if it is not true you can only say they lie in a plane, not that they "form" one.

Hint: they do NOT form a plane!

Last edited:
You could try taking the cross product of v(m) and v(m').

Joffan said:
You could try taking the cross product of v(m) and v(m').

Thanks, that's another way, and even easier (I think). I checked it and it works. For any m and m' when you do the cross product you get a multiple of the same vector (if I'm not wrong it's (2,2,1) in it's simplest form). I'm too lazy to write it all in latex.

Related to Prove that all possible lines in function of m form a plane

1. What does it mean for all possible lines in function of m to form a plane?

This means that for any given value of m, there exists a unique line in a three-dimensional space that can be described by the equation y = mx + b, where b is a constant. These lines will all lie on the same plane, creating a two-dimensional surface.

2. How can you prove that all possible lines in function of m form a plane?

This can be proven using mathematical concepts such as linear algebra and geometry. Essentially, by showing that all the lines generated by different values of m intersect at the same point and have the same slope, we can prove that they lie on the same plane.

3. Is it possible for all possible lines in function of m to not form a plane?

No, it is not possible. As long as the equation y = mx + b holds true, all the lines generated by different values of m will intersect at the same point and lie on the same plane.

4. How is the concept of parallel lines relevant in proving that all possible lines in function of m form a plane?

In order for all the lines to lie on the same plane, they must have the same slope. This means that they are all either parallel or intersect at the same point. By showing that they all intersect at the same point, we can prove that they are not parallel and therefore lie on the same plane.

5. Can this concept be applied to other mathematical functions besides y = mx + b?

Yes, this concept can be applied to other linear functions, such as y = ax + b, or even to higher order functions. As long as the equation can be written as y = f(x), the same principles can be applied to prove that all possible lines in function of x lie on a plane.