Prove that a set with two properties has to be the positive real set

In summary: This would be a contradiction to property (ii) since sqrt(-a) is neither in S nor equal to 0. Therefore, a must be > 0 and thus S is a subset of P. Similarly, if x ∈ P, then x > 0 which means that -x < 0. By property (ii), -x ∈ S and thus P is a subset of S. Therefore, S = P. In summary, S = {x ∈ R ; x > 0} (the set of positive numbers P).
Perrault

Homework Statement

Let S ⊆ R be such that
(i) a, b ∈ S ⇒ ab, a + b ∈ S
(ii) for all x ∈ R exactly one of the following holds
x ∈ S, x = 0, −x ∈ S.

Show that S = {x ∈ R ; x > 0} (the set of positive numbers P)
2. Relevant theorems

(T1) a² > 0 ∀ a ∈ R. (So a²∈P)

(T2) All positive real numbers have a square root.

The Attempt at a Solution

This has been tantalizing me for hours. I want to prove that S⊆P and that P⊆S so that S=P. Trying to prove that S⊆P, I assume a∈S. Then a²∈S, by property (i), and a²∈P (by theorem T1). If we assume that a∈S is negative then we should be able to arrive at a contradiction, but I can't get to it! I understand that a and a² would be of different sign, but that doesn't seem to help me much.

I did show that if 1 is in S then it is in P and vice-versa. From there I am able to obtain the same thing for all positive integers (by property (i), if 1∈S then 1+1∈S so 2+1∈S, ...)

Anyone got any clue?

Thank you so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
If a < 0, consider sqrt(-a).

Related to Prove that a set with two properties has to be the positive real set

1. What does it mean for a set to have two properties?

A set having two properties means that all elements in the set must satisfy two specific conditions or characteristics.

2. What are the two properties required for a set to be the positive real set?

The two properties required for a set to be the positive real set are that all elements must be real numbers and must be greater than zero.

3. Why is it important to prove that a set with two properties has to be the positive real set?

It is important to prove this statement because it allows us to understand and define the positive real set as a distinct and unique set with specific properties.

4. How can we prove that a set with two properties is the positive real set?

We can prove that a set with two properties is the positive real set by showing that all elements in the set satisfy the two required properties of being real numbers and greater than zero.

5. Can a set with more than two properties be the positive real set?

No, a set with more than two properties cannot be the positive real set. The positive real set is defined by two specific properties and any additional properties would make the set different from the positive real set.