Prove Sine Function is Continuous: Let \epsilon > 0

In summary, the discussion is about proving the continuity of the sine function on its domain. The proposed solution is questioned and deemed incorrect due to the use of the mean value theorem, which requires the function to be continuous. A suggestion is given to first prove the continuity of sine at x=0, then use identities to show continuity at any arbitrary number a.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Prove that the sine function is continuous on its domain.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I've gotten this right but I would appreciate it if someone checked my solution . . .

Let [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex]. We define [tex]\delta[/tex] such that,

[tex]0 < |x - a| < \delta = \epsilon[/tex]

Now, by the mean-value theorem of differential calculus, we have that,

[tex]1 \geq \frac{sin(x) - sin(a)}{x - a} \geq -1[/tex]

or similarly,

[tex]1 \geq \left |\frac{sin(x) - sin(a)}{x - a} \right |[/tex]

To complete the proof, we utilize this inequality such that

[tex]0 < |sin(x) - sin(a)| \leq |x-a| < \epsilon[/tex]

As desired. This proves that the sine function is continuous on its domain.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I agree with your proof. You're trying to show that sine is continuous and you invoke the mean value theorem. But the mean value theorem requires that the function it's applied to is continuous. In other words, you're assuming your conclusion.

Darn! Forgot about that, you're right. :(

A suggestion:

First show sin(x) is contunuous at x = 0 by exploiting the fact that for [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2}\leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{2}[/itex] you have [itex]|\sin (x)| \leq |x|[/itex].

Then using the Pythagorean identity for cosine in terms of sine (near x = 0) you can show that cosine is also continuous at x = 0.

Then using the identity that [itex]\lim_{x\rightarrow a}{f(x)} = \lim_{h\rightarrow 0}{f(a+h)}[/itex], and the angle sum identity for sine you can show that sin(x) is continuous at any arbitrary number a.

I hope this helps.

--Elucidus

Related to Prove Sine Function is Continuous: Let \epsilon > 0

1. What is the definition of continuity for a function?

The sine function is considered continuous at a point if its limit as x approaches that point is equal to the value of the function at that point. In other words, if the function does not have any sudden jumps or breaks at that point.

2. How do you prove that a function is continuous using the epsilon-delta definition?

To prove that the sine function is continuous, we must show that for any given small value of epsilon (ε), we can find a corresponding small value of delta (δ) such that if the difference between the input values is less than delta, the difference between the output values will be less than epsilon.

3. What is the importance of proving the continuity of a function?

Proving the continuity of a function is important because it allows us to determine the behavior of the function at a specific point and to make accurate predictions about the function's behavior in other nearby points. It also helps us to identify any potential discontinuities or errors in our calculations.

4. Can the sine function be considered continuous for all values of x?

Yes, the sine function is considered continuous for all real values of x. This is because it does not have any abrupt changes or breaks in its graph, and its limit as x approaches any value is equal to the value of the function at that point.

5. What are some real-life applications of the continuity of the sine function?

The sine function is used in many real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering to model periodic motion, in trigonometry to solve for unknown angles and sides in triangles, and in signal processing to analyze and manipulate signals. Its continuity ensures that these applications can be accurately and reliably applied in various situations.