Prove set of sequences is a basis

In summary, the conversation discusses the subspace c_00 of sequences of complex numbers that are "eventually zero." It is shown that the set {e_i}, where e_i is a sequence with e_i,n=1 if n=i and e_i,n=0 if n≠i, is a basis for c_00. The conversation also addresses the difficulties in proving this, including the fact that c_00 and {e_i} are infinite sets. However, it is ultimately proven that a finite number of the e_i's can span any element in c_00, making it a basis for the subspace.
SMA_01
Let c_00 be the subspace of all sequences of complex numbers that are "eventually zero". i.e. for an element x∈c_00, ∃N∈N such that xn=0,∀n≥n.

Let {e_i}, i∈N be the set where e_i is the sequence in c_00 given by (e_i)_n =1 if n=i and (e_i)_n=0 if n≠i.

Show that (e_i), i∈N is a basis for c_00.

So I need to show it's linearly independent and that it spans c_00. I am not sure how to go about proving this makes it confusing is that it's an infinite set, so I can't use the usual method and take a finite number of vectors.

I have an idea of how to prove linear independence, but not spanning.

Any tips/hints?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
SMA_01 said:
Let c_00 be the subspace of all sequences of complex numbers that are "eventually zero". i.e. for an element x∈c_00, ∃N∈N such that xn=0,∀n≥n.

Let {e_i}, i∈N be the set where e_i is the sequence in c_00 given by (e_i)_n =1 if n=i and (e_i)_n=0 if n≠i.

Show that (e_i), i∈N is a basis for c_00.

So I need to show it's linearly independent and that it spans c_00. I am not sure how to go about proving this makes it confusing is that it's an infinite set, so I can't use the usual method and take a finite number of vectors.

I have an idea of how to prove linear independence, but not spanning.

Any tips/hints?

Thanks

Hmm, I think contradiction would be good here.

Suppose that ##\{e_i\}## is not a basis for ##C_∞##.

What does that tell you about ##\{e_i\}##?

Likes 1 person
Hi SMA_01! :smile:
SMA_01 said:
I have an idea of how to prove … but not spanning.

I don't see the difficulty :confused: … for spanning, you need to prove that given any element, there's a finite number of basis elements that it is a linear combination of.

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
Hi SMA_01! :smile:

I don't see the difficulty :confused: … for spanning, you need to prove that given any element, there's a finite number of basis elements that it is a linear combination of.

What confused me was the fact that c_00 and {e_i} are infinite sets.

SMA_01 said:
What confused me was the fact that c_00 and {e_i} are infinite sets.

i] they're not sets :confused:

ii] all you have to do is add a finite number of them …

what difficulty would you have adding a finite number of decimal expansions? :smile:

I would just like to make a side note that ##\{e_i\}## is a countably infinite set of sequences.

##C_∞## is an infinite dimensional subspace.

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
i] they're not sets :confused:

ii] all you have to do is add a finite number of them …

what difficulty would you have adding a finite number of decimal expansions? :smile:

Sorry, c_00 is a subspace, but {e_i} is a set.
I understand now though how a finite number of the e_i's span any x in c_00, because x_n=0 for n≥N :smile:

SMA_01 said:
Sorry, c_00 is a subspace, but {e_i} is a set.
I understand now though how a finite number of the e_i's span any x in c_00, because x_n=0 for n≥N :smile:

Yes, that's the idea.

Since you know any sequence in ##C_∞## converges to zero (eventually the sequence terminates), it will always be possible to find a finite basis. You can scale this finite basis accordingly to represent any element in ##C_∞##.

Related to Prove set of sequences is a basis

1. What is a basis in mathematics?

A basis in mathematics refers to a set of vectors or functions that can be used to express any other vector or function in a given vector space or function space. It is a fundamental concept in linear algebra and is essential for understanding vector spaces and linear transformations.

2. How do you prove that a set of sequences is a basis?

To prove that a set of sequences is a basis, you need to show that the sequences are linearly independent and span the entire vector space of sequences. This can be done by using the definition of linear independence and showing that every sequence in the vector space can be expressed as a linear combination of the basis sequences.

3. What is the importance of proving a set of sequences is a basis?

Proving that a set of sequences is a basis is important because it allows us to understand the structure of a vector space and the relationships between its elements. It also allows us to easily manipulate and solve problems involving sequences by representing them in terms of the basis sequences.

4. Can a set of sequences have more than one basis?

Yes, a set of sequences can have more than one basis. This is because there can be multiple sets of linearly independent sequences that can span the same vector space. However, all bases for a given vector space will have the same number of elements, known as the dimension of the vector space.

5. How is a basis different from a spanning set?

A basis is a special type of spanning set that is also linearly independent. This means that it not only spans the vector space, but also no element in the basis can be expressed as a linear combination of the other elements. In contrast, a spanning set may contain redundant or dependent elements.