Prove Riemann Sum: (ex-1)/x for x > 0

In summary: Yeah, it does work out nicely and you are welcome. But so far you've got (1-e^x)/x, and you want to get (e^x-1)/x. Better find that lost minus sign before you call it a done...
PiRGood

Homework Statement

Prove that:
lim n->inf1/n*Ʃn-1k=0ekx/n

=

(ex-1)/x

x>0

Homework Equations

That was all the information provided. Any progress i have made is below. I didn't want to add any of that to this section because this is all speculation on my part so far.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been at this for awhile now, i feel as though i am getting close. I think i have all the "pieces" but i can't seem to put them together to prove the above statement.
I know that the integral
01etxdt is important because it integrates to
(ex-1)/x
but I'm not sure how to connect the summation to the integral to the answer
I also have a feeling that the Theorem
Suppose that f is defined on [a,b] and that lim||P||->0Rp(f) exists. Then f is integrable on [a,b] and
abf = lim||P||->0Rp(f)
is relevant. But I'm not positive.

Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing your really need to notice to evaluate that sum is that e^(kx/n) is a geometric series. It's r^k where r=e^(x/n). There is a formula to sum a geometric series. Then, sure, your theorem tells you the limit as n->infinity of the sum is the integral. So now after you've simplified the sum try to find the limit.

Last edited:
If i recall correctly that formula is
1-rn/ 1-r

I tried that but i hit a roadblock. I came up with 1-exn/n/ 1-ex/n. You can cancel the n's in the numerator's exponent of course. But that is where i hit my dead end. I couldn't manipulate it from there in any meaningful way, even using the 1/n factor in front of the summation.
The reason i abandoned that course is because my professor hinted that i should look in the chapter of my book regarding Riemann Sums. But I've yet to dig up anything useful besides the Theorem i quoted in the OP

PiRGood said:
If i recall correctly that formula isI tried that but i hit a roadblock. I came up with 1-exn/n/ 1-ex/n. You can cancel the n's in the numerator's exponent of course. But that is where i hit my dead end. I couldn't manipulate it from there in any meaningful way, even using the 1/n factor in front of the summation.
The reason i abandoned that course is because my professor hinted that i should look in the chapter of my book regarding Riemann Sums. But I've yet to dig up anything useful besides the Theorem i quoted in the OP

That's a good start! So you've got a 1-e^x part. Now look at the denominator, lim n*(1-e^(x/n)) as n->infinity. That's an infinity*0 form, right? That suggests you might want to write it as (1-e^(x/n))/(1/n). That's a 0/0 form and you can apply l'Hopital's rule.

Last edited:
But wouldn't taking the derivative of 1/n give us zero, because n is some constant approaching inf? So the derivative of (1-e^(x/n)) would be (xe^(x/n))/n and the derivative of 1/n would be 0, giving me ((xe^(x/n))/n )/0?

PiRGood said:
But wouldn't taking the derivative of 1/n give us zero, because n is some constant approaching inf? So the derivative of (1-e^(x/n)) would be (xe^(x/n))/n and the derivative of 1/n would be 0, giving me ((xe^(x/n))/n )/0?

Well, no. n isn't constant. It's a variable approaching infinity. x is the constant while you are taking the limit. You want to take d/dn of the numerator and denominator.

So i am are applying L'Hôpital's rule to the fraction in the denominator of our function i.e applying it to (1-e^(x/n))/(1/n)
So i get -xe^(x/n)/(n^2) on top and -1/n^2 on the bottom which simplifies to:
xe^(x/n)?

PiRGood said:
So i am are applying L'Hôpital's rule to the fraction in the denominator of our function i.e applying it to (1-e^(x/n))/(1/n)
So i get -xe^(x/n)/(n^2) on top and -1/n^2 on the bottom which simplifies to:
xe^(x/n)?

You missed a minus sign. But otherwise ok! Now take limit n->infinity of x*e^(x/n).

as n approaches infinity x/n approaches zero, which means e^(x/n) approaches one which leaves me with x on the bottom!
Incredible, i never would have seen that. Thanks so much Dick! You are a lifesaver!

PiRGood said:
as n approaches infinity x/n approaches zero, which means e^(x/n) approaches one which leaves me with x on the bottom!
Incredible, i never would have seen that. Thanks so much Dick! You are a lifesaver!

Yeah, it does work out nicely and you are welcome. But so far you've got (1-e^x)/x, and you want to get (e^x-1)/x. Better find that lost minus sign before you call it a done deal.

Related to Prove Riemann Sum: (ex-1)/x for x > 0

1. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a method used in calculus to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and summing their areas.

2. How do you prove the Riemann Sum?

To prove the Riemann Sum, we must show that as the width of the rectangles approaches zero, the sum of their areas approaches the exact area under the curve.

3. What is the formula for the Riemann Sum?

The formula for the Riemann Sum is ∑[(f(xi) * Δxi)] where f(xi) is the height of the rectangle at a given point and Δxi is the width of the rectangle.

4. Can the Riemann Sum be used for any function?

Yes, the Riemann Sum can be used for any function as long as it is continuous on the interval being evaluated.

5. How can the Riemann Sum be applied to the function (ex-1)/x for x > 0?

The Riemann Sum can be applied to this function by dividing the interval into smaller subintervals, finding the height of each rectangle using the function, and then summing their areas to approximate the area under the curve.