Prove Poisson's Ratio is .5 for Small Strains

In summary, Poisson's ratio is the negative ratio of the transverse strain to the axial strain. For an incompressible, homogeneous, isotropic material, v = .5 for small strains.
_Anonymous_

Homework Statement

Poisson's ratio v is the negative ratio of the transverse strain to the axial strain. For an incompressible (density doesn't change), homogeneous (everything is the same molecule), isotropic (it doesn't matter which direction you pull or push on it, it will act the same way) linear elastic (Hookean) material, v = .5 for small strains. Using a first order approximation (sort of like a Taylor Series approximation, prove v = .5.

Homework Equations

strain = ε = ΔL/L0

Poisson's ratio = - εT / εA= - (ΔLT/LT) / (ΔLA/LA) = -(ΔLTLA)/(ΔLALT)

ΔVolume = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a picture of a cube with original dimensions lwh = LA3. Then I applied a transverse strain to the box and drew a new box inside and extending from the original box. The new box's dimensions are (ΔLA + LA)(LA - ΔLT)(LA - ΔLT) assuming that ΔLT and ΔLA are positive values. Since the change in volume is zero, the amount the box "shrinks" and the amount the box "extends" should be equal, so I tried summing the new volumes and setting them equal to zero:

0 = -(Volume that the cube shrunk) + (volume that the cube elongated)

0 = - (2(ΔLT)(LA) + (ΔLT)2LA) + ΔLA(LT - ΔLT)

2(ΔLT)(LA) + (ΔLT)2LA = ΔLA(LT - ΔLT)

I tried to factor out the terms that I wanted to be the numerator and denominator:

(ΔLTLA)(2 + LT) = ΔLALT - ΔLAΔLT

(ΔLTLA)(2 + LT) + ΔLAΔLT = ΔLALT

Divide both sides by ΔLALT

v(2 + LT + ΔLT/LT = 1

v = (1 - ΔLT/LT)/(2 + LT)

Simplifying...

v = (LT - ΔLT) / (LT(2 + LT)

What should I be doing differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
This problem makes an interesting assertion about Poisson's ratio. It is particularly interesting since, for common metals like steel, Poisson's ratio is about 0.3.

Poisson's ratio = 0.5 applies to a material such as rubber, but not to most metals.

_Anonymous_ said:
0 = -(Volume that the cube shrunk) + (volume that the cube elongated)

0 = - (2(ΔLT)(LA) + (ΔLT)2LA) + ΔLA(LT - ΔLT)
That last equation is dimensionally wrong. It mixes quadratic and cubic powers of length.
Once you have the correct equation, you need to make an approximation for small deformations. If L >> ΔL, what can you say about L ΔL compared with ΔL2?

Related to Prove Poisson's Ratio is .5 for Small Strains

1. What is Poisson's Ratio?

Poisson's Ratio is a material property that describes the ratio of lateral strain to axial strain when a material is subjected to an applied stress. It is denoted by the Greek letter nu (ν) and is typically represented by a decimal value between 0 and 0.5.

2. Why is it important to prove that Poisson's Ratio is .5 for small strains?

Proving that Poisson's Ratio is .5 for small strains is important because it is a fundamental property of materials that can help predict how they will behave under different types of stress. It also allows for accurate calculations in engineering and design applications.

3. How is Poisson's Ratio measured?

Poisson's Ratio can be measured experimentally by subjecting a material sample to an axial stress and measuring the corresponding lateral strain. The ratio of these two values is then calculated to determine the Poisson's Ratio.

4. What does it mean for Poisson's Ratio to be .5?

A Poisson's Ratio of .5 means that the material is incompressible, meaning that it will not change in volume when subjected to an applied stress. This is a common property of most liquids and solids.

5. How does Poisson's Ratio differ for small and large strains?

For small strains (typically less than 0.1), Poisson's Ratio is constant and equal to .5. However, for larger strains, it can vary and may even become negative for certain materials. This is due to the change in the material's structure and behavior under high levels of stress.