Prove Order Isomorphism: α=β If (α,∈) & (β,∈)

In summary, the speaker is trying to prove that the orderings of two ordinals are isomorphic only if they are equal. They have proved that the class Ord is transitive and well-ordered, and are seeking help in proving a lemma that would assist in their proof. They receive help from another participant in the conversation.
jgens
Gold Member
I am trying to prove the following results: If α and β are ordinals, then the orderings (α,∈) and (β,∈) are isomorphic if and only if α = β.

So far, I have only proved that the class Ord is transitive and well-ordered by ∈. I can prove this result with the following lemma: If f:α→β is an order-preserving map, then z ≤ f(z). However, I am having difficulty proving this lemma without something like transfinite induction. Any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume that [itex]z\leq f(z)[/itex] does NOT hold. Then there is a least a such that [itex]f(a)<a[/itex]. Take f of both sides.

That works perfectly! I am silly for not thinking of something like that. Thanks!

Related to Prove Order Isomorphism: α=β If (α,∈) & (β,∈)

1. What is order isomorphism?

Order isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to the relationship between two ordered sets. It states that two ordered sets are isomorphic if there exists a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the sets that preserves the order of the elements.

2. How do you prove order isomorphism?

To prove order isomorphism between two ordered sets α and β, it is necessary to show that there exists a function f: α → β that is both one-to-one and order-preserving. This means that for any elements a and b in α, if a < b, then f(a) < f(b).

3. What is the significance of order isomorphism?

Order isomorphism is important in mathematics because it allows us to compare and analyze different ordered sets in a systematic way. It also helps us to understand the structural similarities and differences between ordered sets, and can be used to prove certain properties or theorems about these sets.

4. What are some examples of order isomorphism?

One example of order isomorphism is between the set of natural numbers (N) and the set of even natural numbers (2N). This can be shown by the function f: N → 2N, where f(n) = 2n. Another example is between the set of positive real numbers (R+) and the set of all real numbers (R), where f(x) = ln(x).

5. Can order isomorphism exist between infinite sets?

Yes, order isomorphism can exist between infinite sets. In fact, it is often used to compare and classify different types of infinite sets. However, it is important to note that not all infinite sets are order isomorphic, and the existence of an order isomorphism between two infinite sets does not necessarily mean that they are equivalent in size.