Prove of number of subsets of a set

In summary, to prove the number of subsets of a set, the formula 2^n can be used, where n is the number of elements in the set. This formula can be applied to any set, regardless of the number or type of elements it contains. The number of subsets can be visually represented using a power set diagram. Other methods for proving the number of subsets include counting arguments and mathematical induction. This formula cannot be used for infinite sets, as it only applies to finite sets.
rajeshmarndi

Homework Statement

A= {a1,...am}, B= {b1,...an}. If f: A→B is a function, then f(a1) can take anyone of the n values b1,...bn. Similarly f(a2). Then there are nm such function. I understand this part.

So in my book, using this principle,
nC0 + nC1 + ... + nCn = 2n is proved.

It has taken a set A= {a1,...an}. For each subset B of A, there is a function fB : A→ {0,1} given by fB(a1) = 1 if a1 ∈ B and fB(a1) = 0 otherwise. Conversely, for every f: A→ {0,1}, B = {a1 : fB(a1) =1 } ⊂ A anf f = fB. Thus there is a one-to-one correspondense between the subsets of A and the functions f: A→ {0,1}. From the above formula, hence we have
nC0 + nC1 + ... + nCn = 2n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]The prove given is so short for me to understand anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
rajeshmarndi said:

Homework Statement

A= {a1,...am}, B= {b1,...bn}. If f: A→B is a function, then f(a1) can take anyone of the n values b1,...bn. Similarly f(a2). Then there are nm such function. I understand this part.

So in my book, using this principle,
nC0 + nC1 + ... + nCn = 2n is proved.

It has taken a set A= {a1,...an}. For each subset B of A, there is a function fB : A→ {0,1} given by fB(a1) = 1 if a1 ∈ B and fB(a1) = 0 otherwise. Conversely, for every f: A→ {0,1}, B = {a1 : fB(a1) =1 } ⊂ A and f = fB. Thus there is a one-to-one correspondense between the subsets of A and the functions f: A→ {0,1}. From the above formula, hence we have
nC0 + nC1 + ... + nCn = 2n

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]The prove given is so short for me to understand anything.
It may help to take the principle you are applying and restate it using other variables.

Let D= {d1, ... , dm}, R= {r1, ... , rn}. If f: D→R is a function, then f(d1) can take anyone of the n values r1, ... , rn. Similarly for f(d2). Then there are nm such functions.​

Now apply this to the subset situation.

SammyS said:
Now apply this to the subset situation.
Sorry, that is the problem, I am unable to link the subset to the above mentioned situation.

rajeshmarndi said:
Sorry, that is the problem, I am unable to link the subset to the above mentioned situation.
What's stopping you? What part don't you understand? Simply saying "I don't get it" isn't very helpful.

Related to Prove of number of subsets of a set

1. How do you prove the number of subsets of a set?

To prove the number of subsets of a set, you can use the formula 2^n, where n is the number of elements in the set. This formula works because for each element in the set, there are two options: to include it in a subset or to not include it. This results in a total of 2^n possible subsets.

2. Can this formula be applied to any set?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any set, regardless of the number or type of elements it contains. As long as the set is finite, the formula will accurately predict the number of subsets.

3. How can you visually represent the number of subsets of a set?

The number of subsets of a set can be represented using a power set diagram. This is a visual representation of all the possible subsets of a set, where each subset is represented by a unique combination of elements. The size of the power set diagram will be 2^n, as predicted by the formula.

4. Are there any other methods for proving the number of subsets?

Yes, there are other methods for proving the number of subsets of a set. One method is to use a counting argument, where you count all the possible combinations of elements to determine the total number of subsets. Another method is to use mathematical induction, where you prove the formula for n=1, and then use it to prove the formula for n+1.

5. Can this formula be used for infinite sets?

No, this formula cannot be used for infinite sets. The concept of a power set and the formula 2^n only apply to finite sets. For infinite sets, other methods and formulas must be used to determine the number of subsets.