Prove Irrationality of \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{5}, \sqrt{6} and 2^1/3, 3^1/3

• Thread starter zooxanthellae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
This is a proof by contradiction.If you're trying to avoid using the assumption that p is even, then look at this:p^2 = 3 q^2This tells you that p^2 is a multiple of 3. What does this tell you about p?Now, what does this tell you about q?Now, what does this tell you about p and q?This is a proof by contradiction.This is a proof by contradiction.That's actually a really slick way of doing it! Thanks a lot.
zooxanthellae

Homework Statement

a) Prove that [tex]\sqrt{3}, \sqrt{5}, \sqrt{6}[/tex] are irrational. Hint: To treat [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex], for example, use the fact that every integer is of the form [tex]3n[/tex] or [tex]3n + 1[/tex] or [tex]3n + 2[/tex]. Why doesn't this proof work for [tex]\sqrt{4}[/tex]?

b) Prove that [tex]2 ^ 1/3[/tex] and [tex]3 ^ 1/3[/tex] are irrational.

Homework Equations

Can't think of any, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I futzed around with fractions involving [tex]3n[/tex] and [tex]3n + 1[/tex] and so forth but I never really got anywhere. I figure that the proof must have something to do with 3, or [tex]\sqrt{3}^2[/tex], but I can't tell exactly what.

b) I actually got something here: I reasoned that [tex]\sqrt[3]{2} = (\sqrt[3]{2}^2)\sqrt{2}[/tex]. Since we know that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational, and that (rational) x (irrational) is irrational unless one of the terms is [tex]0[/tex], and that (rational) x (rational) is rational, we can conclude that it is impossible for [tex]\sqrt[3]{2}[/tex] to be rational because if it was, then a rational number ([tex]\sqrt[3]{2}^2[/tex]) multiplied by an irrational number ([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]) would equal a rational number, which here cannot be possible. Is this a proof by contradiction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
zooxanthellae said:

Homework Statement

a) Prove that [tex]\sqrt{3}, \sqrt{5}, \sqrt{6}[/tex] are irrational. Hint: To treat [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex], for example, use the fact that every integer is of the form [tex]3n[/tex] or [tex]3n + 1[/tex] or [tex]3n + 2[/tex]. Why doesn't this proof work for [tex]\sqrt{4}[/tex]?

b) Prove that [tex]2 ^ 1/3[/tex] and [tex]3 ^ 1/3[/tex] are irrational.
What you meant to say but your LaTeX script wasn't quite right was this:
Prove that [tex]2 ^ {1/3}[/tex] and [tex]3 ^ {1/3}[/tex] are irrational.

If your exponent inside a [ tex] tag takes two or more characters, surround them with braces - { }.

You can also use cube roots, using \sqrt[3]{ ... }, like this:
Prove that [tex]\sqrt[3]{2}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt[3]{3}[/tex] are irrational.

zooxanthellae said:

Homework Equations

Can't think of any, really.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) I futzed around with fractions involving [tex]3n[/tex] and [tex]3n + 1[/tex] and so forth but I never really got anywhere. I figure that the proof must have something to do with 3, or [tex]\sqrt{3}^2[/tex], but I can't tell exactly what.

b) I actually got something here: I reasoned that [tex]\sqrt[3]{2} = (\sqrt[3]{2}^2)\sqrt{2}[/tex]. Since we know that [tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex] is irrational, and that (rational) x (irrational) is irrational unless one of the terms is [tex]0[/tex], and that (rational) x (rational) is rational, we can conclude that it is impossible for [tex]\sqrt[3]{2}[/tex] to be rational because if it was, then a rational number ([tex]\sqrt[3]{2}^2[/tex]) multiplied by an irrational number ([tex]\sqrt{2}[/tex]) would equal a rational number, which here cannot be possible. Is this a proof by contradiction?

Sorry about that. I went back and fixed the [tex]\sqrt[3]{2}[/tex] in the second half but forgot about the first!

To prove that, say, sqrt(2) is irrational, assume the opposite: that it is rational and so can be written as a/b, with no factors in common in a and b.

sqrt(2) = a/b ==> 2 = a2/b2

You should arrive at a contradiction, which means that your assumption that sqrt(2) is rational must not be true.

Mark44 said:
To prove that, say, sqrt(2) is irrational, assume the opposite: that it is rational and so can be written as a/b, with no factors in common in a and b.

sqrt(2) = a/b ==> 2 = a2/b2

You should arrive at a contradiction, which means that your assumption that sqrt(2) is rational must not be true.

Oh yes, I know that (Spivak actually provides what is essentially the same proof). I'm just looking to see if my reasoning is correct [b) in "The attempt at a solution"]

In b, you have [tex]\sqrt[3]{2} = (\sqrt[3]{2}^2)\sqrt{2}[/tex]
Why would you think this? The left side is about 1.4422; the right side is about 2.2449.
I don't get what you're trying to do here.

Mark44 said:
In b, you have [tex]\sqrt[3]{2} = (\sqrt[3]{2}^2)\sqrt{2}[/tex]
Why would you think this? The left side is about 1.4422; the right side is about 2.2449.
I don't get what you're trying to do here.

Oh dear. It's an arithmetic error that I overlooked (I multiplied two of the exponents when I should have added them).

I guess there's a reason Spivak's proof looked so much longer than mine!

Should probably turn attention back to a), then.

This doesn't use the hint, but you could generalize the proof in Spivak for sqrt 2 to any non-perfect square. Keep an eye out for which step its crucial that its not a perfect square.

Gib Z said:
This doesn't use the hint, but you could generalize the proof in Spivak for sqrt 2 to any non-perfect square. Keep an eye out for which step its crucial that its not a perfect square.

The step that most sticks out to me is the one in which Spivak asserts that [tex]p^2 = 2q^2[/tex]. If 2 were some perfect square, then the equation would look like [tex]p^2 = (aq)^2[/tex] where [tex]a[/tex] is some integer, which would allow one to solve for [tex]p/q[/tex]. But I'm puzzled as to how I could generalize that proof, since it seems to rest on the fact that the numbers involved are even, which wouldn't work for 3.

In other words, I'd end up with [tex]p^2 = 3q^2[/tex]. All this seems to tell me is that [tex]p[/tex] and [tex]q[/tex] are both even or both odd. But whereas Spivak's proof for 2 relied on [tex]p[/tex] and [tex]q[/tex] being even, and so having a common factor of 2, that doesn't seem to be possible with [tex]p[/tex] and [tex]q[/tex] being odd.

You can also look at the factorization in prime numbers. If you have:

sqrt[p] = r/s

where p is a prime number and r and s are integers that have no divisirs in common, then you have:

p = r^2/s^2 ---------->

r^2 = p s^2

If you were to factor both sides and count (by multiplicity) how many prime factors there are on each side, what would you find?

Related to Prove Irrationality of \sqrt{3}, \sqrt{5}, \sqrt{6} and 2^1/3, 3^1/3

1. How do you prove the irrationality of square root of 3?

One way to prove the irrationality of square root of 3 is by contradiction. Assume that square root of 3 is rational, meaning it can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Then, we can square both sides of the equation to get 3 = (a/b)^2. This means 3 is a perfect square, which is not true. Therefore, our assumption is false and square root of 3 must be irrational.

2. Can you prove the irrationality of square root of 5 using a similar method?

Yes, we can also use a proof by contradiction to show that square root of 5 is irrational. Assume that square root of 5 is rational and can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Then, we can square both sides to get 5 = (a/b)^2. However, 5 is not a perfect square, so our assumption is false and square root of 5 must be irrational.

3. How is the irrationality of square root of 6 proven?

The proof for the irrationality of square root of 6 follows a similar pattern. We assume that square root of 6 is rational and can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Squaring both sides gives us 6 = (a/b)^2. However, 6 is not a perfect square, so our assumption is false and square root of 6 must be irrational.

4. Is the proof for irrationality of 2^(1/3) different from square root of 3?

Yes, the proof for the irrationality of 2^(1/3) is a bit more complex and involves the use of prime factorization. Assume that 2^(1/3) is rational, meaning it can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Then, we can cube both sides to get 2 = (a/b)^3. This means 2 is a perfect cube, which is not true. Using the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, we can show that 2 cannot be expressed as a perfect cube, leading to a contradiction and proving that 2^(1/3) is irrational.

5. How is the irrationality of 3^(1/3) proven?

The proof for the irrationality of 3^(1/3) is similar to the one for 2^(1/3). We assume that 3^(1/3) is rational and can be expressed as a fraction of two integers. Cubing both sides gives us 3 = (a/b)^3. However, 3 is not a perfect cube according to the fundamental theorem of arithmetic, leading to a contradiction and proving the irrationality of 3^(1/3).