Prove Domain of Identity: (-1, 1], C is Any Real Number

In summary: Yeah I used x=0 and obtained C=\pi/4.It's all correct, but C is uniquely defined by the equation. Just choose a value for x, for which you know the values on both sides of the equation!
NATURE.M

Homework Statement

Prove that there is a constant C such that
[itex]arctan\sqrt{\frac{1-x}{1+x}}[/itex] = C - [itex]\frac{1}{2}arcsinx[/itex] for all x in a certain domain. What is the largest domain on which this identity is true? What is the value of the constant C?

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know how to prove the initial statement (showing the derivatives are equal which implies they differ by only a constant), but I wanted to verify the largest domain and the value of C.

For the largest domain on which this identity is true I obtained (-1, 1] (since arcsinx is defined on
[-1, 1], and since -1 is not allowed).

And I believe C can be any real number.

So I'd just like to verify whether or not my interpretation is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I can tell, your domain is correct.

Am I right in interpreting that you are saying this equation is true for any value of C? If so, that's not true.

To solve for C, pick any value for x in the domain, plug it into the equation, and solve for C.

scurty said:
As far as I can tell, your domain is correct.

Am I right in interpreting that you are saying this equation is true for any value of C? If so, that's not true.

To solve for C, pick any value for x in the domain, plug it into the equation, and solve for C.

Yeah your right. I made a mistake there. And thanks scurty.

NATURE.M said:
Yeah your right. I made a mistake there. And thanks scurty.

Edit: Nevermind.

To make this post worthwhile, I suggest x values of 0 or 1 to solve for C.

scurty said:
Edit: Nevermind.

To make this post worthwhile, I suggest x values of 0 or 1 to solve for C.

Yeah I used x=0 and obtained C=[itex]\pi[/itex]/4.

It's all correct, but [itex]C[/itex] is uniquely defined by the equation. Just choose a value for [itex]x[/itex], for which you know the values on both sides of the equation!

Related to Prove Domain of Identity: (-1, 1], C is Any Real Number

1. What does "Prove Domain of Identity" mean?

"Prove Domain of Identity" means to demonstrate or show that the set of numbers represented by (-1, 1] is the same as any real number represented by C. In other words, this statement is asking for proof that the range of values between -1 and 1 (including -1 but not including 1) is equivalent to any possible real number.

2. What is a domain in mathematics?

In mathematics, a domain is the set of all possible input values for a function or equation. In this case, the domain is represented by (-1, 1] which indicates all real numbers between -1 and 1, including -1 but not including 1.

3. How is the domain of identity proven?

The domain of identity can be proven by using mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation, substitution, or logical reasoning. These methods can be used to show that the set of numbers represented by (-1, 1] is equivalent to any real number represented by C.

4. Why is proving the domain of identity important?

Proving the domain of identity is important because it helps to establish the validity and consistency of mathematical concepts and equations. It also allows for the application of mathematical principles to solve real-world problems and make accurate predictions.

5. Can the domain of identity be disproven?

No, the domain of identity cannot be disproven as it is a fundamental mathematical concept. However, it can be proven to be false if a contradiction or inconsistency is found within the statement or proof itself.