Prove Bisecting Angle Theorem - 5 Min Exercise

In summary, the speaker made an exercise where they asked if others could prove that ∠EAD is equal to half of the difference between ∠ABC and ∠ACB. They also mentioned that they would appreciate feedback on their first own exercise. However, it was pointed out that the statement is generally not true as the value of ∠EAD can vary depending on the placement of D along BC and there may be another condition on D that was not mentioned. As a result, the thread was closed for moderation.
Qemikal
Hi, guys, i made an exercise, can you prove this?
xybn6vc.png

m(∠EAD)=[m(∠ABC)-m(∠ACB)]/2
If you have 5 free minutes, try it, i hope you'll like it!
It's my first own exercise, so I would like some feedback, too.
AD= bisecting(splits angle in 2 equal sides)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can't prove this, it is, generally, not true. By choosing D at different places along BC, angle EAD can take on many different values while the right side, not depending on D, is fixed. Was there some other condition on D you did not give?

HallsofIvy said:
You can't prove this, it is, generally, not true. By choosing D at different places along BC, angle EAD can take on many different values while the right side, not depending on D, is fixed. Was there some other condition on D you did not give?
My bad, I forgot to add that AD splits the angle in 2 equal sides(angles).

Thread closed for moderation.

Related to Prove Bisecting Angle Theorem - 5 Min Exercise

What is the Bisecting Angle Theorem?

The Bisecting Angle Theorem states that a line bisecting an angle will divide the angle into two equal parts. This theorem is used in geometry to solve problems involving angles and lines.

How do you prove the Bisecting Angle Theorem?

To prove the Bisecting Angle Theorem, you can use the definition of a bisector and the properties of angles. First, draw a line that bisects the given angle. Then, use the definition of a bisector to show that the two resulting angles are equal. Finally, use the properties of angles to show that the two angles are also congruent.

Can the Bisecting Angle Theorem be applied to any angle?

Yes, the Bisecting Angle Theorem can be applied to any angle, whether it is acute, right, or obtuse. As long as the line bisects the angle, the theorem holds true.

What is the purpose of proving the Bisecting Angle Theorem?

The purpose of proving the Bisecting Angle Theorem is to provide a mathematical proof for the concept of bisecting angles. By proving this theorem, we can rely on it as a fundamental mathematical principle to solve more complex problems involving angles and lines.

Are there any real-world applications of the Bisecting Angle Theorem?

Yes, the Bisecting Angle Theorem has real-world applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and surveying. It is often used to accurately measure and construct angles and lines in various structures and designs.