Prove a Statement about the Line Integral of a Vector Field

In summary: You have to be clever. The integral around the two contours is the integral around one contour plus the integral around the other contour. So the integral around your hard to compute contour is the integral around the easy to compute contour plus the integral around the segment. The integral around the segment is zero by the fundamental theorem of calculus. (The derivative of the integral around the segment is the integral of the derivative along the segment. The derivative of your vector field is zero along the segment.) You can work out the integral along the easy to compute contour using your divergence theorem argument.
Izzhov

Homework Statement

Given the vector field [itex]\vec{v} = (-y\hat{x} + x\hat{y})/(x^2+y^2)[/itex]
Show that [itex]\oint \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v} = 2\pi\oint dl[/itex] for any closed path, where [itex]dl[/itex] is the line integral around the path.

Homework Equations

Stokes' Theorem: [itex]\oint_{\delta R} \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v} = \int_R \vec{dA}\cdot(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{v})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the curl of v, and got that the x and y components were zero, and the z component is [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta x}(x/(x^2+y^2)) + \frac{\delta}{\delta y}(y/(x^2+y^2))[/itex], which becomes [itex](y^2-x^2+x^2-y^2)/(x^2+y^2)^2[/itex], which is also zero. But this can't be right, because that would imply that [itex]\oint \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v} = \int \vec{dA}\cdot0 = 0[/itex] by Stokes' Theorem, which would mean the thing I'm trying to show is false, since [itex]2\pi\oint dl[/itex] is not always zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Izzhov said:

Homework Statement

Given the vector field [itex]\vec{v} = (-y\hat{x} + x\hat{y})/(x^2+y^2)[/itex]
Show that [itex]\oint \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v} = 2\pi\oint dl[/itex] for any closed path, where [itex]dl[/itex] is the line integral around the path.

Homework Equations

Stokes' Theorem: [itex]\oint_{\delta R} \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v} = \int_R \vec{dA}\cdot(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{v})[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the curl of v, and got that the x and y components were zero, and the z component is [itex]\frac{\delta}{\delta x}(x/(x^2+y^2)) + \frac{\delta}{\delta y}(y/(x^2+y^2))[/itex], which becomes [itex](y^2-x^2+x^2-y^2)/(x^2+y^2)^2[/itex], which is also zero. But this can't be right, because that would imply that [itex]\oint \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v} = \int \vec{dA}\cdot0 = 0[/itex] by Stokes' Theorem, which would mean the thing I'm trying to show is false, since [itex]2\pi\oint dl[/itex] is not always zero.
Could it be that [itex]2\pi\oint dl[/itex] is always zero ?

SammyS said:
Could it be that [itex]2\pi\oint dl[/itex] is always zero ?
I don't think it could, because [itex]\oint dl[/itex] represents the length of the line being integrated over, doesn't it? And there's no reason why the length of a closed loop must always be zero.

Izzhov said:
I don't think it could, because [itex]\oint dl[/itex] represents the length of the line being integrated over, doesn't it? And there's no reason why the length of a closed loop must always be zero.

Yes, it does. Your Stoke's theorem argument doesn't apply to curves that wind around the origin since the vector field is singular at the origin. But it does to curves that don't. And they don't all have arclength 0. It think the question got garbled somehow. I think your vector integral really computes a winding number around the origin. It's not related to arclength.

What exactly do you mean by a "winding number around the origin?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winding_number Your vector integral is zero if the curve doesn't contain the origin. As you checked with Stokes's theorem. It's 2pi if the curve winds once around the origin counterclockwise. It's -2pi if it winds once clockwise. Etc. Look down in the wikipedia reference to the 'Differential Geometry' section. You'll see your vector integral. I think the question they gave you is messed up.

I played around with the vector field and found that it does seem to hold that [itex]\oint \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex] is equal to 2*pi times the winding number of any given closed loop, so I'm going to assume that's what my professor wanted me to prove. I can prove this is true when the winding number is zero by the divergence theorem (as you stated), but how do I go about proving it when the loop circles around the origin?

Izzhov said:
I played around with the vector field and found that it does seem to hold that [itex]\oint \vec{dl}\cdot\vec{v}[/itex] is equal to 2*pi times the winding number of any given closed loop, so I'm going to assume that's what my professor wanted me to prove. I can prove this is true when the winding number is zero by the divergence theorem (as you stated), but how do I go about proving it when the loop circles around the origin?

You take a contour where the winding number is easy to compute. Say a contour along the unit circle. Now take your hard to compute contour. Draw a segment connecting the two contours. Figure out how you can run around the two contours using the segment bridging them and only enclose a region that does not contain the origin.

Related to Prove a Statement about the Line Integral of a Vector Field

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a vector field along a given curve or path.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector to each point in a given space.

How do you prove a statement about the line integral of a vector field?

In order to prove a statement about the line integral of a vector field, you must first understand the properties and rules of line integrals. Then, you can use methods such as Green's theorem or Stokes' theorem to manipulate and simplify the integral expression to prove the statement.

What are some applications of line integrals in science?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics to calculate the work done by a force along a path, or the flow of a fluid through a particular region. They are also used in engineering to determine the total force acting on a structure.

Can line integrals be calculated in three-dimensional space?

Yes, line integrals can be calculated in three-dimensional space using the same principles as in two-dimensional space, but with an added dimension to consider. This is known as a surface or volume integral, as the path is now a curve on a surface or in a volume.