Proton Plasma Wakefield Accelerators

In summary, a Wakefield accelerator using protons is more difficult to set up than an accelerator using electrons.
Joe D
Why do all wakefield accelerators seem to use either electrons or positrons? Is there any reason you would have difficulty creating a laser driven proton plasma wakefield accelerator? (that is, in comparison to an electron accelerator) Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Laser driven plasma wakefield accelerators are one of the three main options investigated, protons and electrons are the other two.
What gives you the impression lasers wouldn't be used?

Perhaps my wording isn't correct, I've only been reading about wakefield accelerators for a week or so. I'm wondering if there is a reason I haven't seen wakefield accelerators used to accelerate protons.

The closest thing I've seen is CERN's AWAKE project that uses a 400 GeV proton beam to aid in accelerating electrons

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if a wakefield accelerator might be a viable way to create a (relatively) inexpensive 1 GeV proton source.

Protons are slow, and the electrons are fast. It's hard to set up a wakefield to transfer energy between particles of very different velocities.

Ah, for the accelerated particles.
Acceleration needs a high speed of the accelerated particles, and protons would need a really high energy to start with. The drive beam would need even more energy, which limits the application to particle physics research, and then you run into problems. There are 400 GeV proton accelerators that could be used for (interesting) 200 GeV++ electron beams, but no 400 GeV electron accelerators that could be used for (quite boring) 200 GeV++ proton beams.

Joe D said:
Perhaps my wording isn't correct, I've only been reading about wakefield accelerators for a week or so. I'm wondering if there is a reason I haven't seen wakefield accelerators used to accelerate protons.

The closest thing I've seen is CERN's AWAKE project that uses a 400 GeV proton beam to aid in accelerating electrons

As has been mentioned, it takes a lot more "power" to cause a significant increase in energy when accelerating heavier particles. It isn't impossible, and the scheme for wakefield acceleration can be applied to electrons as well. But you need to understand that this is still a research-front experiment. So people will tend to show proof-of-principle experiment using something simpler before moving on to something more difficult. After all, the first accelerators before they were perfected were all done on electrons.

Once we have an ability do show this scheme with electrons, then there will definitely be a concerted effort to accelerate protons and ions. In fact, there are already people looking into this, with this one being an example:

http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/10.1103/PhysRevLett.115.064801

BTW, just so you know, accelerator physics is not automatically equal to "high energy physics". More than 90% of accelerators in the world have nothing to do with high energy physics experiments.

Zz.

Awesome thanks. Zz, I understand your point. I actually didn't have high energy physics in mind when I was thinking about accelerators. I was just wondering if wakefield accelerators could be used for a spallation neutron source. I just posted it in the high energy physics section since it seems to be where the plasma physicists would be hiding. Thanks again.

Joe D said:
Awesome thanks. Zz, I understand your point. I actually didn't have high energy physics in mind when I was thinking about accelerators. I was just wondering if wakefield accelerators could be used for a spallation neutron source. I just posted it in the high energy physics section since it seems to be where the plasma physicists would be hiding. Thanks again.

Also note that not all Wakefield accelerators involve plasmas We have metallic and dielectric-loaded Wakefield accelerators. CLIC and the Argonne Wakefield accelerator are two such examples.

Zz.

Zz, that's good to know, I hadn't realized that. I had been looking at what SLAC and the Texas Petawatt laser were up to.

So I suppose the conclusion is that my dreams of a tabletop spallation neutron source won't be coming true for a while, at least until the technology improves. I guess I'll continue use Oak Ridge for those purposes.

Related to Proton Plasma Wakefield Accelerators

1. What is a Proton Plasma Wakefield Accelerator?

A Proton Plasma Wakefield Accelerator (PWFA) is a type of particle accelerator used to accelerate particles to high energies. It uses a plasma, which is a gas of charged particles, to create electric fields that can accelerate particles much faster than traditional accelerators.

2. How does a PWFA work?

A PWFA works by sending a beam of protons into a plasma, which creates a wakefield - a region of high electric fields. The protons in the wakefield are then accelerated to high energies as they are pushed by the electric fields. This process can be repeated multiple times, allowing for even higher energies to be achieved.

3. What are the advantages of using a PWFA?

PWFAs have several advantages over traditional accelerators. They can achieve much higher energies in a shorter distance, making them more compact and cost-effective. They also have the potential to accelerate particles to higher energies than traditional accelerators, allowing for new experiments and discoveries.

4. What are the potential applications of PWFAs?

PWFAs have many potential applications in various fields of science and technology. They can be used for fundamental research in particle physics, as well as for medical applications such as cancer therapy. They also have potential uses in developing advanced materials and studying astrophysical phenomena.

5. What are the current challenges in developing PWFAs?

One of the main challenges in developing PWFAs is controlling the plasma and the wakefield to ensure stable and efficient acceleration. Another challenge is achieving high beam quality, meaning that the accelerated particles have consistent energy and direction. Researchers are also working on improving the energy efficiency and scalability of PWFAs for practical applications.