Proton and electron simple conceptual question. pretty basic,

In summary: It's always quantized, and this falling from a great distance is still a transition from one state to another. It's just that in the "unbound" (precisely, so far away that the binding energy is negligible) states the gap between adjacent energy levels is so small, and each energy level is so close to zero (the limit at infinite distance) that you can ignore the quantization.I'm not sure, someone please confirm-
elegysix
Suppose we could isolate a single proton and a single electron, and have them near each other without the high kinetic energies like in particle colliders.
imagine holding them in a perfect vacuum without gravity, a mm or so apart lol. Then we let them go.

What would they do? They're attracted because of opposite charges, but would they form hydrogen without any initial kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
They would attract and form a hydrogen atom. No initial K.E. is needed.

Indeed they would form a hydrogen atom and would release energy upon electron capture.

ok... So here's another one:

I know that emissions are quantized, but theoretically I can put the electron at any initial position/velocity.

So what happens if I give the electron just a little more initial energy than before, such that it is less than the minimum needed for an additional/increased emission?
Where/what does the 'increased remainder' go/do?

elegysix said:
ok... So here's another one:

I know that emissions are quantized, but theoretically I can put the electron at any initial position/velocity.

So what happens if I give the electron just a little more initial energy than before, such that it is less than the minimum needed for an additional/increased emission?
Where/what does the 'increased remainder' go/do?

The extra is released, either in the form of radiation or kinetic energy. Falling to one of the available states from being unbound is not quantized as far as I know, only the movement between 2 different states is.

Drakkith said:
The extra is released, either in the form of radiation or kinetic energy. Falling to one of the available states from being unbound is not quantized as far as I know, only the movement between 2 different states is.

It's always quantized, and this falling from a great distance is still a transition from one state to another. It's just that in the "unbound" (precisely, so far away that the binding energy is negligible) states the gap between adjacent energy levels is so small, and each energy level is so close to zero (the limit at infinite distance) that you can ignore the quantization.

I'm not sure, someone please confirm- if the incoming electron has a kinetic energy which is between two atomic levels, the excess will be transferred to the atom itself which is not bound and can move freely.

Related to Proton and electron simple conceptual question. pretty basic,

What is a proton?

A proton is a subatomic particle with a positive charge that is found in the nucleus of an atom. It has a mass of approximately 1 atomic mass unit.

What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle with a negative charge that orbits the nucleus of an atom. It has a much smaller mass than a proton, approximately 1/1836 of a proton's mass.

What is the difference between a proton and an electron?

The main difference between a proton and an electron is their charge and mass. Protons have a positive charge and are much heavier than electrons, which have a negative charge.

How do protons and electrons interact?

Protons and electrons interact through electromagnetic forces. The positive charge of a proton attracts the negative charge of an electron, causing them to orbit around each other in an atom.

What is the role of protons and electrons in an atom?

Protons and electrons are essential components of an atom. Protons determine the element and chemical properties of an atom, while electrons are involved in chemical bonding and determining an element's reactivity.