Proteus Professional, messing with my mind.

In summary, the speaker is experimenting with a simple LED series circuit and has it rigged to a 19.5V power supply and a 2.7 Ohm, 25 W resistor. They are trying to achieve a voltage drop of 4.1v @ 4.2 A, but only have a 2.7 Ohm resistor available. In an effort to learn more about circuits, they started using a simulation program and noticed negative voltages at the LEDs, which cannot be handled by the program. They are seeking clarification on this issue.
SleepyFace-_-
Hi Guys, fresh meat here.

I have a simple LED series circuit I'm currently playing with. 700ma forward voltage leds at 3.3v (blue) and 2.2v (red).

Its working fine, I have it rigged to a 19.5V power supply and a 2.7 Ohm, 25 W resistor.

I need 15.4 out of the 19.5, meaning I have to drop 4.1v @ 4.2 A. I should be using a 1 ohm resistor, but all I had even close in the wattage dept. was the 2.7.

In my effort to increase my exp points while I wait for more components, I decided to start messing with circuit simulations so I create the same circuit, with no resistor, and start getting readings...The results seriously messed with the thin layer of understanding I though I had:

ledseries.png

The leds are set to the correct voltages and draws, yet I'm seeing a .23 amp reading on the ammeter.

I have a feeling I am missing something here...I tried using both a DC voltage source and a battery to the same effect...Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks for your help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Look at the voltages at the LED's. Some of them are negative; your simulation program can't handle this case.

(In real life current would be very large and the diodes would catch fire)

Last edited:

Related to Proteus Professional, messing with my mind.

1. What is Proteus Professional?

Proteus Professional is a software used for electronic circuit design and simulation. It is commonly used by engineers and scientists to test and validate their circuit designs before building physical prototypes.

2. How does Proteus Professional work?

Proteus Professional uses a virtual simulation environment where users can design and test electronic circuits using a variety of components. The software also has a built-in library of components and devices that can be used in the design process.

3. Can Proteus Professional be used for both analog and digital circuits?

Yes, Proteus Professional supports both analog and digital circuit design and simulation. It also has the ability to simulate mixed-signal circuits, which combine both analog and digital components.

4. Is Proteus Professional suitable for beginners?

While Proteus Professional is a powerful tool, it may be overwhelming for beginners. It is recommended that users have some basic knowledge of electronic circuit design before using the software. However, there are tutorials and resources available to help beginners learn how to use Proteus Professional.

5. Can I use Proteus Professional for commercial purposes?

Yes, Proteus Professional can be used for both personal and commercial purposes. However, there may be licensing fees for commercial use, so it is important to check the terms and conditions before using the software for commercial projects.