Propagator with Pauli matrices

Since the operators {\vec{\sigma}}\cdot {\vec{L}} and {\vec{L}}^2 commute, we can write:U(t)|l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2>=e^{-iA{\vec{L}}^{2}t}e^{-iA{\vec{\sigma}}\cdot {\vec{L}}t}|l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2>Using the relations you have mentioned, we can simplify this expression to:U(t)|l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2>=e^{-iA{\vec{L}}^{2}t}[cos(At)|l=0, m
19matthew89

Homework Statement

Consider a 1/2-spin particle. Its time evolution is ruled by operator [itex]U(t)=e^{-i\Omega
t}[/itex] with [itex]\Omega=A({\vec{\sigma}}\cdot {\vec{L}})^{2}[/itex]. A is a constant. If the state at t=0 is described by quantum number of [itex]{\vec{L}}^2[/itex], [itex]L_{z}[/itex] and [itex]S_{z}[/itex], [itex]l=0[/itex], [itex]m=0[/itex] and [itex]s_{z}={1/2}[/itex], determinate the state at a generic time t.

Homework Equations

[itex]({\vec{\sigma}}\cdot {\vec{L}})^{2}={{\vec{L}}^{2}}-{{\vec{\sigma}}\cdot{\vec{L}}}[/itex]
and
[itex](\vec{\sigma}\cdot\vec{u})^{2n}=1[/itex] with [itex]2n[/itex] even number and [itex]\vec{u}[/itex] a unitary vector

The Attempt at a Solution

I've used the relations I've written above to write the propagator as [itex]e^{-iA{\vec{L}}^{2}t}[/itex][itex]e^{iA{{{\vec{\sigma}}\cdot{\vec{L}}}}t}[/itex] and I've found out

[itex]e^{-iA{\vec{L}}^{2}t}[{cos(At)+i{({\vec{\sigma}}\cdot\vec{L})}sin(At)]}[/itex]. But I don't think it is correct because L is not a versor.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for your post. It looks like you have made some progress in your attempt to solve this problem. However, there are a few points that I would like to clarify and expand on.

Firstly, the operator U(t)=e^{-i\Omega t} is known as a time evolution operator. It describes how a system evolves in time, and in this case, it is dependent on the operator \Omega. This operator is given by \Omega=A({\vec{\sigma}}\cdot {\vec{L}})^{2}, where A is a constant. The first thing to note is that this operator is Hermitian, meaning that its eigenvalues are real. This is important because it means that the evolution of the system is unitary, which is a desirable property for a quantum system.

Next, you mention the operators {\vec{L}}^2 and {\vec{\sigma}}\cdot{\vec{L}}, which are both related to the angular momentum of the system. The first operator, {\vec{L}}^2, represents the total angular momentum squared, while the second operator, {\vec{\sigma}}\cdot{\vec{L}}, represents the spin-orbit coupling. These operators commute with each other, meaning that they can be diagonalized simultaneously. This allows us to use the quantum numbers l, m, and s_z to describe the state of the system.

To determine the state of the system at a generic time t, we need to apply the time evolution operator U(t) to the initial state at t=0. In this case, the initial state is described by quantum numbers l=0, m=0, and s_z=1/2. This state can be written as |l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2>, where the angular momentum quantum numbers are implicit.

Using the time evolution operator, we can write the state at a generic time t as:

U(t)|l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2>=e^{-i\Omega t}|l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2>

Substituting in the expression for \Omega, we get:

U(t)|l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2>=e^{-iA({\vec{\sigma}}\cdot {\vec{L}})^{2}t}|l=0, m=0, s_z=1/2

Related to Propagator with Pauli matrices

1. What is a propagator with Pauli matrices?

A propagator with Pauli matrices is a mathematical expression used in quantum mechanics to describe the time evolution of a quantum system. It is represented as a matrix consisting of Pauli matrices, which are a set of three 2x2 matrices used to describe the spin of a particle.

2. How is a propagator with Pauli matrices used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, a propagator with Pauli matrices is used to calculate the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one position to another over a given period of time. It is an important tool for predicting the behavior of quantum systems.

3. What are the properties of a propagator with Pauli matrices?

A propagator with Pauli matrices has several important properties, including unitarity, Hermiticity, and time-reversal symmetry. These properties allow for the conservation of probability, self-adjointness, and the ability to predict the time evolution of a system in both forward and backward directions.

4. How is a propagator with Pauli matrices derived?

A propagator with Pauli matrices is derived using the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It involves using mathematical techniques such as matrix exponentiation and integration to solve for the propagator matrix.

5. What are the applications of a propagator with Pauli matrices?

A propagator with Pauli matrices has many applications in quantum mechanics, including calculating the probability of particle interactions, predicting the behavior of quantum systems, and studying the time evolution of quantum states. It is also used in fields such as quantum computing and quantum information theory.