Proofs of Supremum Problem in $\mathbb{R}$

• MHB
  • Thread starter alexmahone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supremum
In summary, there is a sequence $\{a_n\}$ such that $a_n\in S$ for all $n$, and $a_n\to\overline{m}$.
alexmahone
(a) Let $S$ be a bounded non-empty subset of $\mathbb{R}$, and $\overline{m}=\sup S$. Prove there is a sequence $\{a_n\}$ such that $a_n\in S$ for all $n$, and $a_n\to\overline{m}$. (You must show how to construct the sequence $a_n$.)

(b) Let $A$ and $B$ be bounded non-empty subsets of $\mathbb{R}$. Prove the equality $\sup (A+B)=\sup A+\sup B$. (Use part (a).)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alexmahone said:
(a) Let $S$ be a bounded non-empty subset of $\mathbb{R}$, and $\overline{m}=\sup S$. Prove there is a sequence $\{a_n\}$ such that $a_n\in S$ for all $n$, and $a_n\to\overline{m}$. (You must show how to construct the sequence $a_n$.)

(b) Let $A$ and $B$ be bounded non-empty subsets of $\mathbb{R}$. Prove the equality $\sup (A+B)=\sup A+\sup B$. (Use part (a).)
The definition of sup tells you that, for each $n\geq1$, $\overline{m}-\frac1n$ is not an upper bound for $S$. So there exists an element $a_n\in S$ with $a_n>\overline{m}-\frac1n$. That gives you your sequence $\{a_n\}$.

Thanks. How about part (b)?

Alexmahone said:
Thanks. How about part (b)?
Use the hint. If $a_n\to\sup A$ and $b_n\to\sup B$, what can you say about the sequence $\{a_n+b_n\}$?

Opalg said:
Use the hint. If $a_n\to\sup A$ and $b_n\to\sup B$, what can you say about the sequence $\{a_n+b_n\}$?

$\{a_n+b_n\}\to\sup A+\sup B$

How do I proceed?

Last edited:
Alexmahone said:
$\{a_n+b_n\}\to\sup A+\sup B$

How do I proceed?
Since $a_n+b_n\in A+B$, that shows that $\sup(A+B)\geq\sup A+\sup B$. What about the reverse inequality?

Opalg said:
Since $a_n+b_n\in A+B$, that shows that $\sup(A+B)\geq\sup A+\sup B$. What about the reverse inequality?

I know how to prove the reverse inequality. But I'm not sure I understand how you got $\sup(A+B)\geq\sup A+\sup B$?

Opalg said:

Alexmahone said:
I know how to prove the reverse inequality. But I'm not sure I understand how you got $\sup(A+B)\geq\sup A+\sup B$?
From $a_n+b_n\in A+B$ it follows that $a_n+b_n\leq\sup(A+B)$. Now let $n\to\infty$ to get $\sup A + \sup B \leq \sup(A+B)$.

Opalg said:
From $a_n+b_n\in A+B$ it follows that $a_n+b_n\leq\sup(A+B)$.

While I agree with this inequality for all $n\in\mathbb{N}$, I don't understand how we may let $n$ tend to $\infty$. After all, the values $\sup A$ and $\sup B$ may never be attained by $a_n$ and $b_n$ for any $n\in\mathbb{N}$.

Sorry if I'm being slow but I'm quite new to analysis.

Last edited:
You need to use the fact the weak inequalities are preserved by limits. If $x_n \leq L$ for all $n$, then $\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n \leq L$.

Opalg said:
You need to use the fact the weak inequalities are preserved by limits. If $x_n \leq L$ for all $n$, then $\lim_{n\to\infty}x_n \leq L$.

Ah -- the Limit location theorem. It tells me that $\lim (a_n+b_n)\le\sup(A+B)$, which is the same as $\sup A+\sup B\le\sup(A+B)$.

Thanks a ton, Opalg! No wonder you were voted Best Analyst on MHF.

Related to Proofs of Supremum Problem in $\mathbb{R}$

1. What is a proof of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$?

A proof of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$ is a mathematical proof that shows the existence of a supremum, or least upper bound, for a set of real numbers. This proof is important in analysis and helps to understand the behavior of real numbers.

2. Why is it important to prove the existence of a supremum in $\mathbb{R}$?

The existence of a supremum in $\mathbb{R}$ is important because it guarantees the completeness of the real number system. It also allows us to make precise statements about the behavior of real numbers and to prove important theorems in analysis.

3. How is a proof of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$ different from other mathematical proofs?

A proof of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$ is different from other mathematical proofs in that it typically involves the use of the completeness axiom, which states that any non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a supremum. This axiom is specific to the real number system and is not found in other mathematical systems.

4. What are some common techniques used in proofs of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$?

Some common techniques used in proofs of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$ include contradiction, induction, and the use of the completeness axiom. Additionally, techniques from other areas of mathematics such as calculus and topology may also be used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of proofs of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$?

Yes, proofs of supremum problem in $\mathbb{R}$ have real-world applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, the concept of supremum is used in optimization problems in economics and the study of limits in physics. It is also used in the design of algorithms and computer programs that involve real numbers.