Proofs of Equations Involving Metric Tensors and Christoffel Symbols

In summary, the speaker is new and hoping for help in understanding some complex mathematical equations. They are seeking a complete proof with all steps for two different equations, but have had no luck finding it in French forums. They are also asking about the script used for posting LaTeX in forums.
Jinroh
Hi I'm new here and I hope that you will be able to give me a lot of help. My english is far to be perfect but sufficiant to asks you a lot of questions... (i hope so :wink:).

First question :

I'm looking for a complete proof (with all steps) of :

[tex]\partial _h g = gg_{ij} \partial _h g_{ij} \Rightarrow \partial _h g_{ij} = \frac{{\partial _h g}}
{{gg_{ij} }}[/tex]

Second question :

I'm looking for a complete proof (with all steps) of :

[tex]\nabla _k \left( {\nabla _j v_i } \right) = \partial _{kj} v_i - \left( {\partial _k \Gamma _{ji}^l } \right)v_l - \Gamma _{ji}^l \partial _k v_l - \Gamma _{ik}^r \partial _j v_r + \Gamma _{ik}^r \Gamma _{jr}^l v_l + \Gamma _{jk}^r \partial _r v_i + \Gamma _{jk}^r \Gamma _{ri}^l v_l[/tex]

Thanks a lot if you can help me. In all physics-mathematics french forums nobody seems to be able to do that or to have the time to copy a part of their courses.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you replace the $..$ with [ itex ] .. [ /itex ], (without the spaces) it will show up as an image.

humm...

thanks for the information...

Another question. Who can say me which script is used to post Latex in a forum and where it can be found ?

Oh, and using [ tex ] .. [ /tex ] will draw it bigger; the former is better suited for putting text like [itex]a = b[/itex] in a paragraph.

chroot wrote the script for our forum.

Related to Proofs of Equations Involving Metric Tensors and Christoffel Symbols

What is the determinant of a metric tensor?

The determinant of a metric tensor is a mathematical concept that represents the scaling factor of a coordinate system. It is used in the field of differential geometry to measure the distortion of space due to the choice of coordinates.

How is the determinant of a metric tensor calculated?

The determinant of a metric tensor is calculated by taking the determinant of the matrix that represents the tensor. This involves multiplying the diagonal elements of the matrix and subtracting the product of the off-diagonal elements. The result is a single number that represents the scaling factor of the coordinate system.

Why is the determinant of a metric tensor important?

The determinant of a metric tensor is important because it is used to calculate the volume of a region in a given coordinate system. It is also used in calculations involving curvature and geodesics in differential geometry.

What does a positive or negative determinant of a metric tensor indicate?

A positive determinant of a metric tensor indicates that the coordinate system is right-handed, meaning that the orientation of the axes follows the right-hand rule. A negative determinant indicates a left-handed coordinate system.

Can the determinant of a metric tensor be zero?

Yes, the determinant of a metric tensor can be zero. This occurs when the coordinate system is degenerate, meaning that the axes are not independent and there is no unique way to define the scaling factor. This can happen in special cases such as at the center of a black hole in general relativity.