Proofs for Sets: Expert Help and Tips for Math Homework

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's struggles with completing a math homework assignment. The student missed a week of lectures and did not have access to notes from classmates or the instructor. The student is seeking help with three problems, and has been able to solve the first two but is stuck on the third. They suggest listing all the options for a and b in order to show that they all work for ab=4. This is for a Math 273 course.
ap0390

Homework Statement

hopefully the writing is readable:
http://i.imgur.com/VJ8vN.jpg

All three if possible.

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

To be completely honest, I missed that whole week of lectures due to personal problems and I've had no chance to talk to an instructor or a classmate for some notes before this is due. I'm perfectly fine with just tiny tips here and there.

http://i.imgur.com/4AknY.jpg

My lame attempt at solving the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
what have I done?

I was able to figure out the first two I believe. But at the moment I seem to be stuck on the 3rd. Would it be alright if I was to list all the options a and b have in order for ab=4 and then write that we can see they all work?

This is for a Math 273 course.

Related to Proofs for Sets: Expert Help and Tips for Math Homework

1. What is the purpose of using math proofs?

Math proofs are used to provide a logical and rigorous explanation or justification for a mathematical statement or theorem. They demonstrate that a statement is true by using a series of logical steps and previously established mathematical principles.

2. How do I start writing a math proof?

Before starting a math proof, it is important to understand the statement or theorem you are trying to prove. Then, identify the assumptions and known facts that can be used to support your argument. From there, you can begin constructing your proof by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable steps and using logical reasoning to connect them.

3. How do I know if my math proof is correct?

A correct math proof should be clear, concise, and logically sound. It should also follow the accepted conventions and rules of mathematical notation. To check the correctness of your proof, you can ask a colleague or professor to review it, or you can try to find any counterexamples that could disprove your argument.

4. Can I use diagrams or visuals in my math proof?

Yes, diagrams and visuals can be useful in illustrating your proof and making it easier to understand. However, it is important to ensure that the diagram accurately represents the mathematical concept and that it does not replace any crucial written explanations or justifications.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing a math proof?

Some common mistakes to avoid when writing a math proof include using circular reasoning, making unjustified assumptions, and using vague or imprecise language. It is also important to double-check your calculations and to thoroughly explain each step of your proof to avoid any gaps in logic.