Proof theoretic ordinal of zfc, and other formal systems

In summary: And that's where the extent of my knowledge ends. :smile: although now that I think about it, the continuum hypotheses probably tells us some interesting information.
lolgarithms
what is the proof-theoretic strength (largest ordinal whose existence can be proved) for ZFC set theory?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If an ordinal [tex]\alpha[/tex] can be proved to exist, so can [tex]\alpha+1[/tex]

So in fact you probably want least ordinal whose existence cannot be proved

g_edgar said:
If an ordinal [tex]\alpha[/tex] can be proved to exist, so can [tex]\alpha+1[/tex]

So in fact you probably want least ordinal whose existence cannot be proved

oops, my bad. what is it?

could someone answer this question? please?
What is the least ordinal whose existence can't be proven in ZFC?

what is the proof theoretic strenght of zfc? please help, i want to know!

please, hurkyl, don't make me wait!

Last edited:
Why not research the question elsewhere on the Internet?

lolgarithms said:
please, hurkyl, don't make me wait!
What? All I can do is make the obvious guess, and I'm not even sure that's well-defined, let alone the answer you seek.

What? All I can do is make the obvious guess, and I'm not even sure that's well-defined, let alone the answer you seek.

if the smallest ordinal that can't be proven is well-defined: what determines that? that a stronger set theory is not known?

so we just call the ordinal "the proof theoretic ordinal of zfc"? ok. might not be an oridnal with a name, like kripke-platek ordinal

Last edited:
lolgarithms said:
if the smallest ordinal that can't be proven is well-defined: what is the guess?
The obvious guess would (IMHO) be something like the supremum of all of the ordinals in the constructible hierarchy.

However, I'm not sure the question is well-defined: why should "ZFC proves the existence of [itex]\beta[/itex]" and "[itex]\alpha < \beta[/itex]" should imply "ZFC proves the existence of [itex]\alpha[/itex]".

Perhaps it isn't well defined. What is known, then, about the supremum of the set of definable ordinals in ZFC, and the infimum of undefinable ordinals in ZFC?

CRGreathouse said:
Perhaps it isn't well defined. What is known, then, about the supremum of the set of definable ordinals in ZFC, and the infimum of undefinable ordinals in ZFC?
And that's where the extent of my knowledge ends. :smile: Although now that I think about it, the continuum hypotheses probably tells us some interesting information.

Related to Proof theoretic ordinal of zfc, and other formal systems

1. What is the Proof-Theoretic Ordinal of ZFC?

The Proof-Theoretic Ordinal of ZFC is a mathematical concept that represents the strength of the Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory with the Axiom of Choice (ZFC). It is the smallest ordinal number that cannot be proven to exist in ZFC. In other words, it is the highest level of induction that can be reached in ZFC.

2. How is the Proof-Theoretic Ordinal of ZFC calculated?

The calculation of the Proof-Theoretic Ordinal of ZFC is a complex and ongoing process. It involves constructing a hierarchy of formal systems and determining the proof-theoretic ordinal of each system. Then, using a technique called the Feferman-Schütte ordinal notation, these ordinals are combined to calculate the Proof-Theoretic Ordinal of ZFC.

3. Can the Proof-Theoretic Ordinal of ZFC be calculated exactly?

No, the Proof-Theoretic Ordinal of ZFC cannot be calculated exactly. This is because it is a limit ordinal, meaning that it is the highest possible ordinal that can be reached in ZFC. As such, its precise value is constantly changing and cannot be determined definitively.

4. What other formal systems have a Proof-Theoretic Ordinal?

Many other formal systems besides ZFC have a Proof-Theoretic Ordinal. Some notable examples include Peano Arithmetic, Gödel's System T, and Zermelo-Fraenkel set theory without the Axiom of Choice (ZF). Each of these systems has its own unique Proof-Theoretic Ordinal.

5. Why is the Proof-Theoretic Ordinal important in mathematics?

The Proof-Theoretic Ordinal is important in mathematics because it provides a way to compare the strength of different formal systems. It allows mathematicians to understand which systems are able to prove more statements and reach higher levels of induction. It also helps to classify different formal systems and study their properties.