Proof that the adjoint representation is an endomorphism

In summary, given a Lie group ##g## and its algebra ##\mathfrak{g}##, we can say that ##AXA^{-1} \in \mathfrak{g}##. This means that for ##Y## to be in ##\mathfrak{g}##, we have that ##e^{tY} \in G## for each ##t \in \mathbf{R}##. Additionally, we can use the Taylor expansion to show that ##\exp (tAXA^{-1}) = A(\exp{tX})A^{-1} \in G##, which may help with further calculations.
atat1tata

Homework Statement

My textbooks takes for granted that, given a Lie group ##g## and its algebra ##\mathfrak{g}##, we have that ##AXA^{-1} \in \mathfrak{g}##.

Homework Equations

For ##Y## to be in ##\mathfrak{g}## means that ##e^{tY} \in G## for each ##t \in \mathbf{R}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to expand ##\exp(tAXA^{-1})## but I am stuck, since the term inside the exponential is a mix of group and algebra matrices and I don't know how to deal with it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say in general for a function ##f(AXA^{-1})## assuming it can be Taylor expanded?

Edit: Or rather, what is ##(A X A^{-1})^n##?

Likes atat1tata
Orodruin said:
What can you say in general for a function ##f(AXA^{-1})## assuming it can be Taylor expanded?

Edit: Or rather, what is ##(A X A^{-1})^n##?

Thanks! So:
##\exp (tAXA^{-1}) = 1 + tAXA^{-1} + \frac{t^2}{2}AX^2A^{-1} + ... = A(\exp{tX})A^{-1} \in G##

Why I was stuck, I don't understand... Thank you for the hint!

Related to Proof that the adjoint representation is an endomorphism

1. What is the adjoint representation?

The adjoint representation is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra and group theory. It is a mapping that associates a group element with a linear transformation on the group's Lie algebra. In other words, it describes how a group element acts on the Lie algebra.

2. Why is the adjoint representation important?

The adjoint representation is important because it allows us to study the properties of a group by examining the properties of its Lie algebra. It is also useful in solving certain equations and understanding the structure of a group.

3. How is the adjoint representation related to endomorphisms?

In the adjoint representation, the group element is associated with a linear transformation on the Lie algebra. This linear transformation is an endomorphism, meaning it maps the Lie algebra onto itself. Therefore, the adjoint representation is an endomorphism.

4. What is the proof that the adjoint representation is an endomorphism?

The proof involves showing that the adjoint representation satisfies the properties of an endomorphism, namely closure, associativity, and identity. This can be done by using the definition of the adjoint representation and the properties of the group and its Lie algebra.

5. How is the adjoint representation used in physics?

In physics, the adjoint representation is used to study the symmetries of physical systems. By examining the adjoint representation of a group, we can understand the symmetries that are present in a physical system, which can provide valuable insights and predictions about its behavior.