Proof of the Possibility of Division

In summary, the conversation discusses a request for help in proving a theorem using field axioms, specifically the existence of a unique quotient and the multiplicative inverse law for non-zero elements. The group properties of nonzero elements are also mentioned. The conversation then shifts to a new question about proving -0=0 using field axioms, with suggestions to use the definition of additive identity and additive inverses.
kripkrip420
Hi there! I have been reading Apostol's "Calculus: Volume 1" and have been trying to prove a few theorems using specific field axioms(note that this is not a "homework" question since I have not been assigned it, but instead, chosen to attempt it out of curiosity). Although I am not a math major, I am interested in these proofs. The theorem follows as such;

Given a and b and a does not equal zero, there exists one such x that x=b/a. This is called the quotient...etc.

Can someone help me prove the above theorem using the field axioms? I am not sure where to start.

My attempt...

ax=b

choose one y such that ax(y)=1

then,

ax(y)=b(y)=1

and I get stuck there.

Please help me if you can! Thank you in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
use the unique multiplicative inverse law for non zero elements

I don't have that book, so I'll have to guess at the axioms.

There's no need to think in terms of setting up an equation. The nonzero elements of a field are a group under multiplication. Each element of that group has a unique multiplicative inverse. What is the definition of a/b? I'd define it to mean "a times the multiplicative inverse of b". b inverse is unique so this defines a unique product. The product of two elements of the group exists and is unique. That's one of the properties of a group isn't it?

Possibility of division: Given a and b with not equal to cero, there is exactly one x such that a.x=b. This x is denoted by b/a and is called the quotient of b and a. In particular, 1/a is also written a^-1 and is calle the reciprocal of a.

My english is bad but i will try to do the proof in an understandable way

proof: because b/a is the solution to the equation a.x=b and this solution is unique. It is enough to prove that b.a^-1 is also solution of this equation. And indeed, if x=b/a^-1 then:

a.x=a.(b.a^-1)=a.(a^-1..b)=(a.a^-1).b=1.1=b so we proved that b/a= b.a^1

End

But I have a new question, how to prove that -0=0 with the field axioms? how would you prove that? please help me out of this, i looked this exercise in the book calculus of apostol first chapter perhaps it does ring a bell.

galois26 said:
But I have a new question, how to prove that -0=0 with the field axioms? how would you prove that? please help me out of this, i looked this exercise in the book calculus of apostol first chapter perhaps it does ring a bell.

Well, -0=0 means that 0 is the additive inverse of 0. So what you must prove is that 0+0=0. Since additive inverses are unique, this would imply -0=0.

I think it could also be proved using the definition of the additive identity.

Hint: Start with [itex]a+0=a[/itex]

[tex]a+0=a \Rightarrow a=a-0 \Rightarrow -a+a=-a+a-0 \Rightarrow (-a+a)=(-a+a)-0 \Rightarrow 0=0-0=-0 \Rightarrow 0=-0[/tex]

Thank you very much for your answers micromass and TylerH nice day... :)

Related to Proof of the Possibility of Division

1. What is "Proof of the Possibility of Division"?

"Proof of the Possibility of Division" is a mathematical concept that proves that division is a valid operation in mathematics, meaning that it is possible to evenly distribute a quantity into equal parts.

2. How is "Proof of the Possibility of Division" demonstrated?

This proof is typically demonstrated through a mathematical equation or algorithm that shows how a quantity can be divided into equal parts without any remainder.

3. Why is "Proof of the Possibility of Division" important?

This proof is important because it establishes the fundamental concept of division, which is essential in many areas of mathematics and science. It also allows for the accurate calculation of fractions and ratios.

4. Can "Proof of the Possibility of Division" be proven for all numbers?

Yes, this proof can be proven for all numbers. It is a fundamental concept in mathematics and applies to all real numbers, including whole numbers, fractions, and decimals.

5. Are there any limitations to "Proof of the Possibility of Division"?

"Proof of the Possibility of Division" is limited to mathematical operations and cannot be applied to physical objects or situations. It also does not account for dividing by zero, which is undefined in mathematics.