Proof of r'(t) x r''(t) = ||r'(t)||^2 · (T(t) x T'(t))

In summary: Thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses the differentiation of the equation r'(t) = ||r'(t)||·T(t) and the use of cross products to find r''(t) and show that r'(t) x r''(t) = ||r'(t)||^2 · (T(t) x T'(t)). There is some confusion around the differentiation process, but it is clarified that the product rule is needed.
issisoccer10

Homework Statement

We know that T(t) = r'(t)/||r'(t)||, or equivalently, r'(t) = ||r'(t)||·T(t). Differentiate this equation to find r''(t), then show that

r'(t) x r''(t) = ||r'(t)||^2 · (T(t) x T'(t)).

Homework Equations

r''(t) = ||r'(t)||'·T(t) + T'(t)·||r'(t)||

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to get as far the differentiation above but from there I got stuck. I attempted to cross both sides, which I'm pretty sure needs to be done, but I'm confused how to get the right side of the equation to simplify to the desired form. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I don't see any puzzle here. Are you sure this is what the question is asking for? All you have to do is to differentiate r'(t)=|r'(t)|T(t) to get r''(t)=|r'(t)|T'(t). Then simply do the cross product for r'(t) and r''(t) from the above 2 expressions. You should get the answer as shown.

Use the fact that the cross product of a vector with itself is zero.

Assaf
"www.physicallyincorrect.com"[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Defennnder said:
Actually I don't see any puzzle here. Are you sure this is what the question is asking for? All you have to do is to differentiate r'(t)=|r'(t)|T(t) to get r''(t)=|r'(t)|T'(t). Then simply do the cross product for r'(t) and r''(t) from the above 2 expressions. You should get the answer as shown.
No. r''(t) is not |r'(t)|T'(t). Since |r'(t)| is a function of t itself you have to use the product rule.

Oh, yeah. I kept thinking |r'(t)| could be treated as a constant.

Related to Proof of r'(t) x r''(t) = ||r'(t)||^2 · (T(t) x T'(t))

1. What is the meaning of "Proof of r'(t) x r''(t) = ||r'(t)||^2 · (T(t) x T'(t))"?

"Proof of r'(t) x r''(t) = ||r'(t)||^2 · (T(t) x T'(t))" is a mathematical expression that represents a fundamental property of vectors in three-dimensional space. It states that the cross product of the first derivative of a vector r with respect to time and the second derivative of the same vector is equal to the square of the magnitude of the first derivative multiplied by the cross product of the unit tangent vector and its derivative at the same time t.

2. What is the significance of this property in mathematics?

This property is significant in mathematics because it helps in understanding the relationship between vectors and their derivatives. It also allows for the simplification of complex vector equations and can be used to prove other important theorems in vector calculus.

3. How is this property derived?

This property can be derived using the properties of the cross product and the chain rule in calculus. By expanding the cross product and using the chain rule to simplify the derivatives, the expression can be shown to be equal on both sides.

4. What are some real-world applications of this property?

This property has many applications in physics and engineering, where vectors and their derivatives are commonly used to describe motion and forces. For example, it can be used to calculate the angular momentum of a rotating object or the torque acting on a particle.

5. Can this property be extended to higher dimensions?

Yes, this property can be extended to higher dimensions by using the generalized cross product and the appropriate derivatives. It is an important concept in multivariable calculus and is used in various fields such as computer graphics and robotics.