Proof of Kinematics Equation: Eliminating Time from the Equation

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to eliminate t from the equation (x-xi)=vi(t)+1/2(a)t^2 using the kinematic equation v=vi+at. The attempt at a solution involves getting v^2=vi^2+2a(x-xi), but there is confusion about the first term on the right side disappearing. The video shows the steps where the confusion arises. The person asking the question is unsure why the first term disappears, especially if the initial velocity is not 0.
PurelyPhysical

Homework Statement

Eliminate t from the equation (x-xi)=vi(t)+1/2(a)t^2 using the kinematic equation v=vi+at to get
v^2=vi^2+2a(x-xi)

The Attempt at a Solution

I wind up with (x-xi)=vi(v-vi/a) + 1/2(v^2-vi^2/a). If the first term on the right side didn't exist, I could see what the solution is, but I can't see why it just seems to disappear.

here is a video showing the exact step where I get lost. Again, the first term on the right just disappears. I can see why that would happen if the initial velocity is 0, but what if it isn't?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You've marked several places in the video. Not sure which step is bothering you.
It might be more useful to post your own working.

Related to Proof of Kinematics Equation: Eliminating Time from the Equation

1. What is the purpose of a kinematics equation proof?

A kinematics equation proof is used to mathematically demonstrate the relationship between different variables in a kinematic system, such as position, velocity, acceleration, and time. It helps to understand the underlying principles of motion and can be used to solve problems involving motion.

2. How do you derive a kinematics equation?

A kinematics equation is derived using principles of calculus and the fundamental equations of motion, such as displacement = velocity x time and velocity = acceleration x time. By manipulating and rearranging these equations, the desired kinematics equation can be derived.

3. Are kinematics equations applicable to all types of motion?

Yes, kinematics equations can be applied to any type of motion, including linear, circular, and projectile motion. However, they may need to be modified or combined with other equations depending on the specific type of motion.

4. How accurate are kinematics equations in real-world situations?

Kinematics equations provide a simplified representation of motion and may not always accurately describe real-world situations. Factors such as air resistance, friction, and external forces can affect the accuracy of the equations. However, they can still provide a good approximation for most scenarios.

5. Can kinematics equations be used to predict future motion?

Yes, kinematics equations can be used to predict future motion by solving for unknown variables, such as position, velocity, or time. However, this prediction may not be accurate if external factors significantly impact the motion. It is always important to consider all factors and make any necessary adjustments when using kinematics equations to predict future motion.