Proof of Alternating Series Test

In summary, the alternating series test states that if the odd and even partial sums of a series converge to the same limit, then the series as a whole also converges. This can be explained by the definition of a limit and the use of the Cauchy convergence test.
Mr Davis 97
I'm looking at the proof of the alternating series test, and the basic idea is that the odd and even partial sums converge to the same number, and that this implies that the series converges as a whole. What I don't understand is why the even and odd partial sums converging to the same limit implies that the series converges as a whole.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
It didn't satisfactorily answer my question. Essentially, my question is this: If ##S_n## is the nth partial sum of our alternating series, why does ##\lim S_{2m} = L = \lim S_{2m+1}## imply that ##\lim S_n = L##?

that follows immediately from the definition of a limit. I.e. roughly speaking if, in the sequence of partial sums, all elements with large enough even index as well as all those with large enough odd index are as close as you wish to L, then in fact all elements with large enough index are as close as you want to L, and that is the definition of convergence to L.

But to me the basic idea is to use the Cauchy convergence test, since the distance between any two partial sums Sn and Sm, with n<m, is at most equal to the absolute value of the mth series element am, and this goes to zero by hypothesis.

Last edited:

Related to Proof of Alternating Series Test

What is the Proof of Alternating Series Test?

The Alternating Series Test is a mathematical test used to determine whether an alternating series converges or diverges. It states that if an alternating series satisfies the conditions of being decreasing in absolute value and having terms that approach zero, then the series must converge.

How is the Proof of Alternating Series Test used?

The Proof of Alternating Series Test is used to determine the convergence or divergence of an alternating series. It is a useful tool in calculus and analysis, as it allows us to quickly determine the behavior of a series without having to evaluate each term individually.

What are the conditions for the Proof of Alternating Series Test to be applicable?

In order for the Proof of Alternating Series Test to be applicable, the series must be alternating, meaning that the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. Additionally, the terms of the series must decrease in absolute value, and the limit of the terms must approach zero as n approaches infinity.

Can the Proof of Alternating Series Test be used for both infinite and finite series?

Yes, the Proof of Alternating Series Test can be used for both infinite and finite series. It is most commonly used for infinite series, but it can also be applied to finite series by simply evaluating the finite number of terms instead of taking the limit as n approaches infinity.

What is the relationship between the Proof of Alternating Series Test and the Alternating Series Remainder?

The Proof of Alternating Series Test is used to determine the convergence of an alternating series, while the Alternating Series Remainder is used to estimate the error in the approximation of a convergent alternating series. The two are closely related, as the Proof of Alternating Series Test allows us to determine whether the error in the approximation is small enough to satisfy our desired level of accuracy.