Proof involving a closed set of integers

In summary, a closed set of integers is a set of whole numbers that includes all of its limit points without any gaps or holes. A proof involving a closed set of integers is a mathematical argument that demonstrates the validity of a statement or theorem related to a closed set of whole numbers. To prove that a set of integers is closed, one must show that it contains all of its limit points and has no gaps or holes. Understanding proofs involving closed sets of integers is important for establishing the validity of mathematical statements and theorems and understanding the properties and relationships of closed sets of integers. Common techniques used in these proofs include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction.
annoymage

Homework Statement

proove is either true of false

let A be a set of integer closed under subtraction. if x and y are element of A, then x-ny is in A for any n in Z.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

is there any proof, without induction?

i suspect its true because any arbitrary positive integer n will satisfy,

though if i try using induction also i stuck.

when n=0, satisfied,

assume it is true for some n>=0
x-(n+1)y=(x-ny)-y, clearly it is inside A

let n>0

x-(-n)y and i don't know how to continue now,

anyway, help me with this induction and also what are other ways without using proof by induction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

annoymage said:

Homework Statement

proove is either true of false

let A be a set of integer closed under subtraction. if x and y are element of A, them x-ny is in A for any n in Z.

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

is there any proof, without induction?

i suspect its true because any arbitrary positive integer n will satisfy,

though if i try using induction also i stuck.

when n=0, satisfied,

assume it is true for some n>=0
x-(n+1)y=(x-ny)-y, clearly it is inside A

let n>0

anyway, help me with this induction and also what are other ways without using proof by induction?

If x and y are in A, then x - y is in A, by assumption that A is closed under subtraction.

Base case: n = 2
Let y be in A. We know that x - y is in A, so since A is closed under subtraction, then (x - y) - y is in A, and x - y - y = x - 2y.

Induction hypothesis: n = k
Assume the statement is true for n = k. I.e., assume that x - ky is in A

Now show that x - (k + 1)y is in A, using the induction hypothesis.

x-(k+1)y = x-ky-y, then x-ky is in A(from induction hypothesis), y is in A,

so (y-ky)-y is also in A(closed under subtraction) ,

conclusion, x-ny is in A, for all integer n greater or equal to 2

but how to show the negative integer of n?

let n>0

Last edited:

annoymage said:
x-(k+1)y = x-ky-y, then x-ky is in A(from induction hypothesis), y is in A,

so (y-ky)-y is also in A(closed under subtraction) ,

conclusion, x-ny is in A, for all integer n greater or equal to 2

but how to show the negative integer of n?

let n>0

Try something! Is 0 in A?

Dick said:
Try something! Is 0 in A?

if A is closed under subtraction, let x be in A, then x-x=0 must be in A, so 0 is in A. is that correct?
but i don't have idea why this is related to induction, T_T

annoymage said:
if A is closed under subtraction, let x be in A, then x-x=0 must be in A, so 0 is in A. is that correct?
but i don't have idea why this is related to induction, T_T

That's correct. Good. It's not related to the induction. It's related to solving your problem of why x-n*y being true for positive n is also true for negative n. x-(-n)y=x-n(-y). Now keep thinking.

Last edited:

hmm, maybe , but i realized, set of integer that is closed under subtraction is either set containing 0, or set of integer itself,
ie; A = {0} or A = Z,
is that correct??

huh, my i got counterexample for my statement, but i got some idea, let me think some more

Use mathematical induction.

Oh come on. You've already proved x-ny is in A using induction for n>=0. You want to prove x-(-n)y is in A for n>=0. x-(-n)y=x-n(-y)=x-n(0-y). I'm going to have to ask you to think again. If I have to get cute this is going to get ugly. I heard that in Futurama last night. Please see it. And by the way, the set of even numbers is closed under subtraction. So A isn't equal to either {0} or Z. I'm surprised you didn't see that either.

aha, you sound like you have high expectation on me.. but much misunderstanding here, which we don't bother to know, anyway
if x and y is in A then -y in A (zero is in A), then x-n(-y) is in A (closed under subtraction),

owho, i get it already, thank you very much^^

annoymage said:
aha, you sound like you have high expectation on me.. but much misunderstanding here, which we don't bother to know, anyway

if x and y is in A then -y in A (zero is in A), then x-n(-y) is in A (closed under subtraction),

owho, i get it already, thank you very much^^

There you go. You should also notice you can use that argument to show 'closed under subtraction' implies that it's also closed under addition.

Related to Proof involving a closed set of integers

What is a closed set of integers?

A closed set of integers is a set of whole numbers that includes all of its limit points. This means that the set contains all of its boundary points and does not have any gaps or holes.

What is a proof involving a closed set of integers?

A proof involving a closed set of integers is a mathematical argument that shows the validity of a statement or theorem related to a set of whole numbers which is closed. It typically involves logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate the truth of the statement.

How do I prove that a set of integers is closed?

To prove that a set of integers is closed, you must show that the set contains all of its limit points. This can be done by showing that every boundary point belongs to the set, and that there are no gaps or holes in the set.

Why is it important to understand proofs involving closed sets of integers?

Understanding proofs involving closed sets of integers is important because it allows us to establish the validity of mathematical statements and theorems. It also helps us to better understand the properties and relationships of closed sets of integers.

What are some common techniques used in proofs involving closed sets of integers?

Common techniques used in proofs involving closed sets of integers include direct proof, proof by contradiction, and proof by induction. These techniques involve logical reasoning and mathematical principles to demonstrate the validity of a statement or theorem.