Proof: integral of continuous function is 0 so function is 0

In summary, the statement is true if and only if f is continuous on [a,b], and for all c in (a,b), there exists a stretch of highway where cars are either being spontaneously created or destroyed.
cmkluza
I've just encountered this somewhere and I need some sort of formal proof for why a continuous function ##f(x)## can equal zero because its integral is zero. Are there any out there? I've seen similar forum posts on places like Stack Exchange and one here, but I can't exactly follow the logic they always use in their proof. Can anyone point me to a full/formal proof and/or explain how it is that others arrive at their proof?

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the fundamental theorem of calculus tells you?

fresh_42 said:
What does the fundamental theorem of calculus tells you?
Fundamental theorem of calculus is [tex] \int^B_A f(x) dx = F(B) - F(A)[/tex] right? So, ##\int^B_A f(x) dx = 0 = F(B) - F(A)##? This suggests that F(B) = F(A), but doesn't tell me anything about ##f(x) = 0##, right? What am I missing?

cmkluza said:
I've just encountered this somewhere and I need some sort of formal proof for why a continuous function ##f(x)## can equal zero because its integral is zero. Are there any out there? I've seen similar forum posts on places like Stack Exchange and one here, but I can't exactly follow the logic they always use in their proof. Can anyone point me to a full/formal proof and/or explain how it is that others arrive at their proof?

Thanks for any help!

Well, it's not true. We have
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x) = 0[/tex]
but the sine is not the zero function.

cmkluza said:
Fundamental theorem of calculus is [tex] \int^B_A f(x) dx = F(B) - F(A)[/tex] right? So, ##\int^B_A f(x) dx = 0 = F(B) - F(A)##? This suggests that F(B) = F(A), but doesn't tell me anything about ##f(x) = 0##, right? What am I missing?
Since you haven't made any assumptions on the domain or initial values I assumed it would be valid to all of them.

micromass said:
Well, it's not true. We have
[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(x) = 0[/tex]
but the sine is not the zero function.
In that case, could you help me explain this in a specific situation? I'm looking at this resource for my research, specifically the end of page 6 and start of page 7. It shows equation 11, which I've been able to follow up to, and then it has a paragraph explaining the logic it uses to produce equation 13, which is just equation 11 without the integral. Do you have any idea about why this is possible? If this isn't correct in general, why would it be correct in this situation?

Thanks!

OK, so the statement is: Let ##f## be continuous on ##[a,b]## and such that for all ##A,B\in [a,b]## holds that ##\int_A^B f(x)dx=0##, then ##f=0##. This is true indeed. And this seems to be how @fresh_42 interpreted it. His proof using the fundamental theorem should work.

micromass said:
OK, so the statement is: Let ##f## be continuous on ##[a,b]## and such that for all ##A,B\in [a,b]## holds that ##\int_A^B f(x)dx=0##, then ##f=0##. This is true indeed. And this seems to be how @fresh_42 interpreted it. His proof using the fundamental theorem should work.
I'm sorry, I don't think I'm understanding this at a fundamental level yet. Could you tell me why that statement is true on a more conceptual level? That might allow me to understand the proof using the fundamental theorem.

Let [itex]f[/itex] be continuous on [itex][a,b][/itex] such that [itex]\int_A^B f(x)\,dx = 0[/itex] for every [itex]a \leq A < B \leq b[/itex].

We show, by contradiction, that under these conditions it cannot be the case that [itex]f(c) \neq 0[/itex] for any [itex]c \in (a,b)[/itex]:

Suppose [itex]c \in (a,b)[/itex] is such that [itex]f(c) > 0[/itex]. Then, by continuity of [itex]f[/itex] at [itex]c[/itex], there exists a [itex]\delta > 0[/itex] such that if [itex]A=\max\{a, c - \delta\} < x < \min\{b, c + \delta\}=B[/itex] then [itex]f(x) > 0[/itex]. But then by a basic property of integrals we have
[tex]\int_A^B f(x)\,dx > \int_A^B 0\,dx = 0,[/tex] which is a contradiction. Thus such a [itex]c[/itex] cannot exist. A similar argument shows that there cannot exist any [itex]c \in (a,b)[/itex] such that [itex]f(c) < 0[/itex].

Hence [itex]f[/itex] is constantly zero on [itex](a,b)[/itex] and by continuity [itex]f(a) = f(b) = 0[/itex] also.

This is a more "conceptual" proof than one using the fundamental theorem, and one can rephrase it thus:

"[itex]\int_a^b \frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial q}{\partial x}\,dx = 0[/itex] says only that, on average, cars are neither created nor destroyed on the stretch of highway between [itex]a[/itex] and [itex]b[/itex]. But suppose there exists a [itex]c \in [a,b][/itex] where [itex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial q}{\partial x} \neq 0[/itex]. Then, if [itex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial q}{\partial x}[/itex] is continuous, there is around [itex]c[/itex] a stretch of highway where cars are being spontaneously created if [itex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial q}{\partial x} > 0[/itex] or destroyed if [itex]\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial q}{\partial x} < 0[/itex]. Both of these we reject as unphysical."

Last edited:
Likes cmkluza
cmkluza said:
I'm sorry, I don't think I'm understanding this at a fundamental level yet. Could you tell me why that statement is true on a more conceptual level? That might allow me to understand the proof using the fundamental theorem.
Conceptually, if f is not zero at a point and you integrate near that point the integral cannot be zero. That's the basic idea that needs to be formalised.

cmkluza said:
I've just encountered this somewhere and I need some sort of formal proof for why a continuous function f(x)f(x)f(x) can equal zero because its integral is zero.
There is a theorem that states: if [itex] \int_{L}\left\lvert f \right\rvert=0[/itex] then [itex]f=0 [/itex] a. e. on L.

Explanation: a.e. (almost everywhere) means "except on a subset of measure zero".

Here is a proof mentioned on math.stackexchange using the "sign-preserving property" of continuous functions:
http://math.stackexchange.com/a/543800

And two more links for the proof of the sign-preserving property:
https://math.la.asu.edu/~dajones/class/371/ch4.pdf
http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~mnogin/math171spring05/test2-sol.pdf

Intuitively it says the following. Suppose you wanted to construct a continuous function f that is positive at some point a, i.e. f(a) > 0. So you draw a dot somewhere above the x-axis at x=a for its graph. Now, if you draw the graph a little to the left of that dot and to the right of it, then that graph segment lies above the x-axis.

Likes cmkluza

Related to Proof: integral of continuous function is 0 so function is 0

1. How can the integral of a continuous function be equal to 0 if the function is not identically equal to 0?

The integral of a continuous function being equal to 0 means that the area under the curve of the function is 0. This does not necessarily mean that the function itself is equal to 0 at all points. It is possible for a continuous function to have a non-zero value at some points, but still have a total area of 0 due to the function's behavior at other points.

2. Can a non-zero continuous function have an integral equal to 0?

Yes, a continuous function can have an integral equal to 0 even if it is not identically equal to 0. This is possible if the function has alternating positive and negative values such that the positive and negative areas cancel each other out, resulting in a total area of 0.

3. How does the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus relate to the proof that the integral of a continuous function is 0?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus states that the definite integral of a function is equal to the difference in the values of the antiderivative of that function evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration. In the case of a continuous function with an integral of 0, this means that the antiderivative of the function evaluated at the upper and lower limits of integration must be equal, resulting in a difference of 0.

4. Is the converse of this statement true? If a function is equal to 0, does that mean its integral is also equal to 0?

No, the converse of this statement is not necessarily true. A function can have an integral of 0 without being equal to 0 at all points. However, if a function is identically equal to 0, then its integral will also be equal to 0.

5. Can this proof be extended to higher dimensions for multivariable functions?

Yes, this proof can be extended to higher dimensions for multivariable functions. The same logic applies, as the integral of the function over a region represents the total volume under the surface of the function. If this volume is equal to 0, then the function must be equal to 0 over that region.