Proof in heisenbergs uncertainty relation involving bra-ket

In summary, the conversation discusses the expansion of the expression <\psi|(A-<A>)^2|\psi> and the use of the expectation value <A> which is a number multiplied by the identity operator. The conversation also mentions using \langle and \rangle instead of < and > for formatting.
lavster
hey, can someone show me the step between these two lines of equations please:

[tex](\Delta A)^2=<\psi|A^2|\psi>-<\psi|A|\psi>^2[/tex]
[tex]=<\psi|(A-<A>)^2|\psi>[/tex]

where A is an operator and [tex]\psi[/tex] is the wavefunction and [tex]<A>[/tex] is the expectation value of A

Physics news on Phys.org
lavster said:
[tex]=<\psi|(A-<A>)^2|\psi>[/tex]
Just expand this expression, realizing that <A> is just a number. ([tex]<A> = <\psi|A|\psi>[/tex])

Last edited:
thanks for quick reply! however I am still not getting it. could you write it out expliitly please?

lavster said:
thanks for quick reply! however I am still not getting it. could you write it out expliitly please?
[tex]<\psi|(A-<A>)^2|\psi> = <\psi|A^2 -2A<A> + <A>^2 |\psi>[/tex]

I'll let you do the rest.

Just a little LaTeX tip: Use \langle and \rangle instead of < and >. (Doc AI's answer is good, so I have nothing to add, except the complete solution, but you should try it yourself first. Note: "just a number" really means "just a number times the identity operator". OK, I guess I did have something to add :smile:).

I thought those bras and kets looked a bit off. :rolleyes: (Thanks, Fredrik!)

Doc Al said:
I thought those bras and kets looked a bit off. :rolleyes: (Thanks, Fredrik!)

Must... not... say... I... prefer... bras... off... must... not say... to staff...ARGGGH.. Too late. :smile: Be gentle!

Related to Proof in heisenbergs uncertainty relation involving bra-ket

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty relation?

The Heisenberg uncertainty relation, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, of a particle with absolute certainty at the same time.

2. What does "bra-ket" mean in the context of the Heisenberg uncertainty relation?

"Bra-ket" is a notation used in quantum mechanics to represent the mathematical concept of a vector. In the context of the Heisenberg uncertainty relation, it is used to represent the state of a particle, with the "bra" representing the initial state and the "ket" representing the final state.

3. How is the Heisenberg uncertainty relation derived using bra-ket notation?

The Heisenberg uncertainty relation is derived using the commutator of two operators, such as the position and momentum operators. In bra-ket notation, this commutator is represented by the inner product of the two states, and the resulting uncertainty relation is expressed as the product of the uncertainties in the two properties.

4. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty relation be violated?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty relation is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It is a result of the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability of subatomic particles and cannot be violated.

5. How is the Heisenberg uncertainty relation relevant to real-world applications?

The Heisenberg uncertainty relation has significant implications in various areas of science and technology, including quantum computing, precision measurement, and even in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. It also plays a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our fundamental understanding of the universe.